Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary (dis)Satisfaction Survey (the real one)

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: I'm in Greater Calgary and my standard of living has suffered...
2 or more kids and family income <50k
0%
2 or more kids and family income 50-75k
9.09%
2 or more kids and family income 75-100k
9.09%
2 or more kids and family income 100-150k
9.09%
2 or more kids and family income >150k
27.27%
One kid and family income <50k
0%
One kid and family income 50-75k
0%
One kid and family income 75-100k
9.09%
One kid and family income 100-150k
0%
One kid and family income >150k
0%
Childless and family income <50k
0%
Childless and family income 50-75k
9.09%
Childless and family income 75-100k
9.09%
Childless and family income 100-150k
0%
Childless and family income >150k
18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Calgary (dis)Satisfaction Survey (the real one)

Old Dec 9th 2009, 3:22 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calgary (dis)Satisfaction Survey (the real one)

and finally for those who are struggling with income levels
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:29 am
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Calgary (dis)Satisfaction Survey (the real one)

Something I have been told is this:

The average family earning $52,000 in 1982 would now need to earn $240,000to accomplish the same standard of living today.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:34 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve&Tanya

The average family earning $52,000 in 1982 would now need to earn $240,000to accomplish the same standard of living today.
That would work out at a ~5.5% real inflation rate or so... with housing increases there its probably possible?

1982 was 28 years ago now, thats a long time! Hell, I wasnt even getting paid $52k a year in 1998 when I was headhunted to come to Canada!

Last edited by iaink; Dec 9th 2009 at 4:37 am.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:35 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I find that difficult to believe.

I wasn't earning anywhere close to $52,000 in Calgary in 1982 and my pension is currently less than $52,000.

The only differences are the kids have left home and we paid off the mortgage. I don't see $190,000 a year in those two items.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:37 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
That would work out at a 5.5% real inflation rate or so... with housing increases there its probably possible?

1982 was 28 years ago now, thats a long time!
Given that its 28 years ago I would DISAGREE.

That family, would (probably) no longer have a mortgage and wouldnt be supporting kids. ergo the necessary income would be significantly lower.

I see Steve has suggested the same thing albeit from a different (and experiential) angle
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:46 am
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy

That family, would (probably) no longer have a mortgage and wouldnt be supporting kids. ergo the necessary income would be significantly lower.

I see Steve has suggested the same thing albeit from a different (and experiential) angle
All great points.
I think it refers to the average dual income family with 2 kids in 1982 in comaprison with a dual income 2 kid family today, rather than the SAME family in 1982 comapred to today.

Interesting to hear real experiences though.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

People appear to be earning very high salaries in Canada if the responses to these polls is to be believed
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:56 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy

You are both taking it too literally

I would be very surprised if the average family was bringing in 52k in 1982 though, that seems high...
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:59 am

I think it refers to the average dual income family with 2 kids in 1982 in comparison with a dual income 2 kid family today, rather than the SAME family in 1982 compared to today.
As I said I don't see it costing us an additional $190,000 per year if we currently had two kids and a mortgage.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:21 am
Banned

You are both taking it too literally

I would be very surprised if the average family was bringing in 52k in 1982 though, that seems high...
Devils advocate Iain

And yes I agree that 52K in 1982 does seem VERY high.

Originally Posted by Steve_P
As I said I don't see it costing us an additional $190,000 per year if we currently had two kids and a mortgage.
Totally agree Steve
Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:46 am
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Hmmmmm interesting. A case of "don't believe everything you hear" me thinks!

Thanks for the real life experience though. I am too young to know anything about the cost of living back in 1982. I know that I find living here in Calgary more expensive than living in the UK, BUT I know that we tried to live well above our means here (falling for the whole North American dream of a huge house, two new cars etc.even though we are earning less here!!!!) Now we have taken steps to rectify this and fingers crossed I will move out of this category and into the "doing OK but could use a bit more money" category
Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:56 am

I wasn't earning anywhere close to $52,000 in Calgary in 1982 and my pension is currently less than $52,000.
Oops I lied.

Just checked my income tax records ( I know I'm anally retentive).

Gross earnings in 1982: $49,240

Mrs_P was a stay at home mom at that time so single income household.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 6:27 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

That would work out at a ~5.5% real inflation rate or so... with housing increases there its probably possible?

1982 was 28 years ago now, thats a long time! Hell, I wasnt even getting paid $52k a year in 1998 when I was headhunted to come to Canada!
Inflation is the governments way of stealing your money
Old Dec 9th 2009, 6:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Inflation is the governments way of stealing your money
What have you been smoking now
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

More people dissatisfied in the 150K+ bracket than any other...interesting...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.