Reload this Page >

Calgary child care

Calgary child care

Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:32 am
Just Joined

shhhh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calgary child care

Hi,
having done a search on this topic a few things came up on this, but I was hoping for a few more details so her goes...
We are planning to move to Calgary (well Cochrane possibly) towards the end of this year. My wife has been offered a job at the University of Calgary but apparently according to their website at least, the waiting list for a child care place at the university child care centre is 1 to 3 years!!
We are looking at alternative child care arrangements convenient for that area (in Calgary). At the moment he is in an excellent nursery in the UK and would like to continue with something along those lines. Unfortunately as we are in the UK until then it is going to be somewhat tricky to check out potential places until close to the time we arrive which makes us a little uneasy since we (or my wife at least!) spent ages checking-out and deciding on places here and so was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/recommendations/advice/typical costs/etc...
Many thanks.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Calgary child care

PS can someone with moderator powers move this as I seem to have put it in the wrong forum!! A good start eh?!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

How old is your little one?

The queues for spaces are much worse for under 18 months I think. But I'm not surprised the UofC one is full. University ones usually are.

There are a few websites listing daycares and you could then look up individual websites- but nothing is a substitute for seeing them.

I think the childcare crunch has slightly diminished in Calgary since the heyday period a couple of years ago, when childcare hadn't caught up with city expansion.

I like our daycare apart from their annoying habit of putting kids to sleep in the main room in the day- and speaking to others this is very common in Canada. I had to be very very blunt , telling them I couldn't go to work when my child was up until 11pm because she had slept in the day and I would have to look elsewhere, since then she reads books instead but it took a while of insistance.

One thing to think about is what you will do with your child when they start kindergarten as they will need dropping off and/or picking up. This may influence your choice now as you may not want to move your child a lot.

Gryph
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shhhh
Hi,
having done a search on this topic a few things came up on this, but I was hoping for a few more details so her goes...
We are planning to move to Calgary (well Cochrane possibly) towards the end of this year. My wife has been offered a job at the University of Calgary but apparently according to their website at least, the waiting list for a child care place at the university child care centre is 1 to 3 years!!
We are looking at alternative child care arrangements convenient for that area (in Calgary). At the moment he is in an excellent nursery in the UK and would like to continue with something along those lines. Unfortunately as we are in the UK until then it is going to be somewhat tricky to check out potential places until close to the time we arrive which makes us a little uneasy since we (or my wife at least!) spent ages checking-out and deciding on places here and so was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/recommendations/advice/typical costs/etc...
Many thanks.
I'm often in Calgary near the University, if you find a potential place you want checking I would be happy to take a look for you. Sam
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the age of the child, consider one of the day homes in Cochrane - you might be able to do an early drop off in the mornings. And if kindergarten is round the corner (they only do half days), you then might be able to ask this carer to take and pick up for you too? Just a thought.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Many thanks for the replies
He's going to be just under 18 months when we move (16 or 17 months depending on exactly when).
We didn't really want to go for the Cochrane childcare option as we've found it handier to have a nursery near work than near home, also probably wanted more of a nursery than a childminder type arrangement
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:15 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shhhh
Many thanks for the replies
He's going to be just under 18 months when we move (16 or 17 months depending on exactly when).
We didn't really want to go for the Cochrane childcare option as we've found it handier to have a nursery near work than near home, also probably wanted more of a nursery than a childminder type arrangement
There aren't that many nursery type places here in Calgary, we were very lucky as my company has a deal with Kids & Company who run nurseries like we were used to in the UK.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

polarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Calgary child care

It has been a while since I needed childcare, but when we were in Calgary (I too worked at UofC) I was impressed with the Montessori located in Ranchlands - were were going to use this for our eldest but in the end I didn't return to work at UofC.
We did struggle to then find anything that would take him part time, but then this was back in 2004.
From memory there was a nursery located in Varsity and I am sure that there are day homes spring up all over the place. Of course you won't really be wanted to take too big of a detour in the morning so going deep into one the communities along Crowchild is not the best.
Sorry I am not of more help but it has been a while since I was in Calgary.