Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary Arrival

Calgary Arrival

Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Calgary Arrival

Well, we're here at last. Actually we've been here for three weeks now but I've been a bit too busy in the actual 'here' world to visit the virtual 'here' world.

We arrived three weeks ago today, my wo kids and I. I was armed with every piece of paperwork I could think of to ensure we had no problems with immigration or customs, however it was all very simple. All immigration wanted to see was a copy of my husbands TWP and a letter from him - they didn't need birth certs. or marriage cert. - they issued me with a SOWP and named both kids on there. I had asked for study permits for the kids but two immigration officials insisted they were not required. Easy.

Then on to customs with my beautifully presented Goods to Follow list which nobody wanted to see. I was told that as a TWP holder we just had to take the packing list to customs when clearing the goods. So that was it all done and dusted in about 20 mins.

Since then we've been to customs to clear the goods which should arrive at our house tomorrow - having spent the past two weeks in Tippet Richardsons yard (the only negative thing so far)! I've also been to Kingsland Center to register the kids for school - no problems there and no mention of a study permits being required. I've also got my driving licence, SIN card and bank cards all sorted - I think most of the admin type stuff s now done. Time to sit back and enjoy the summer (and thunder storms!).

We got here in time for Canada Day which was great fun, with my kids waving Canadian flags! We also got to Stampede which we all thought was fantastic. We've joined the local library and recreation center, where we've been going swimming most days (got to keep them occupied). This week my kids have been going to summer camp which they love, my son says it's 'awesome'! Kids learn quickly

I'm getting used to the driving (what's with these 4 way stops?!) broadening my circle of knowledge a little each day.

So far I love it and I'm sure I will for a while yet. Now got to go and pick up my kids. Later I'll catch up with all I've been missing on here.

MrsDV
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:49 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary Arrival

Originally Posted by MrsDV
Well, we're here at last. Actually we've been here for three weeks now but I've been a bit too busy in the actual 'here' world to visit the virtual 'here' world.

We arrived three weeks ago today, my wo kids and I. I was armed with every piece of paperwork I could think of to ensure we had no problems with immigration or customs, however it was all very simple. All immigration wanted to see was a copy of my husbands TWP and a letter from him - they didn't need birth certs. or marriage cert. - they issued me with a SOWP and named both kids on there. I had asked for study permits for the kids but two immigration officials insisted they were not required. Easy.

Then on to customs with my beautifully presented Goods to Follow list which nobody wanted to see. I was told that as a TWP holder we just had to take the packing list to customs when clearing the goods. So that was it all done and dusted in about 20 mins.

Since then we've been to customs to clear the goods which should arrive at our house tomorrow - having spent the past two weeks in Tippet Richardsons yard (the only negative thing so far)! I've also been to Kingsland Center to register the kids for school - no problems there and no mention of a study permits being required. I've also got my driving licence, SIN card and bank cards all sorted - I think most of the admin type stuff s now done. Time to sit back and enjoy the summer (and thunder storms!).

We got here in time for Canada Day which was great fun, with my kids waving Canadian flags! We also got to Stampede which we all thought was fantastic. We've joined the local library and recreation center, where we've been going swimming most days (got to keep them occupied). This week my kids have been going to summer camp which they love, my son says it's 'awesome'! Kids learn quickly

I'm getting used to the driving (what's with these 4 way stops?!) broadening my circle of knowledge a little each day.

So far I love it and I'm sure I will for a while yet. Now got to go and pick up my kids. Later I'll catch up with all I've been missing on here.

MrsDV
Welcome to our beautiful city
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Congrats to you and your family. We are actually in Calgary for a recce trip. We are staying in the NW - Huntington area. I am waiting for my TWP and I had already done my medical beginning of June but now the kids are on holiday so we decided to bring them here to have a look. But cos our kids are teenagers and they are used to a very crowded city like London so they are finding hard to cope with few people on the streets. One of them said its like the countryside here.....oh dear

We are hoping to work at Foothill hospital and both of us are nurses. We have been looking around for houses to rent, no intention of buying at present cos we still got our house in London. It would have been great if we had sold our place cos then we would have a great bargaining power to buy. The credit crunch is here too.

Bye for now

Ibby
Old Jul 18th 2008, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

You know Mrs Dv I was just thinking that you must have arrived as I saw a post from your OH.

Driving does take a while. Only a few weeks ago I went up the road the wrong way, after 7 months. Its shocked me somewhat!!

Glad you are settling in! Forgotten how old your kids are. Mine are 3 1/2 and nearly 6. If you want an afternoon round the zoo or something, let me know. Kind of busy for next couple of weeks though!

Have you met all the oil company wives yet? I have a friend who is one and went out for an evening with a load and it was like a slightly scarey parallel universe! Fun, but strange!

Gryph
Old Jul 18th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
You know Mrs Dv I was just thinking that you must have arrived as I saw a post from your OH.

Driving does take a while. Only a few weeks ago I went up the road the wrong way, after 7 months. Its shocked me somewhat!!

Glad you are settling in! Forgotten how old your kids are. Mine are 3 1/2 and nearly 6. If you want an afternoon round the zoo or something, let me know. Kind of busy for next couple of weeks though!

Have you met all the oil company wives yet? I have a friend who is one and went out for an evening with a load and it was like a slightly scarey parallel universe! Fun, but strange!

Gryph
Hi Gryph,

How nice to know someone was thinking about me!

My kids are 6 and almost 8 (although more like a 2 year old some days!) and we'd love to meet up for an afternoon at the zoo or something - why don't you PM me when you're free and we'll sort something out. We've been doing pretty good occupying ourselves so far - a little adventure every day. They've just finished their first week at summer camp and the the week after next they're going to Butterfield Acres Farm, which they're really excited about.

The driving thing's funny, I've done plenty of driving on the right before, I think it's just getting used to different driving protocols and getting an idea of where you actually are in the city - I'll get there eventually!

Oil company wives; I haven't had the pleasure yet, that can be one of my future adventures!

MrsDV
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Big warm welcome to you all, and it must be lovely to finally be together with hubby

I'd gatecrash your zoo visit too, but we are heading back the other way for a holiday - so have a lovely summer entertaining little people, and enjoy your continued lessons in all things Calgarian
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ann m
Big warm welcome to you all, and it must be lovely to finally be together with hubby

I'd gatecrash your zoo visit too, but we are heading back the other way for a holiday - so have a lovely summer entertaining little people, and enjoy your continued lessons in all things Calgarian
Thanks Ann,

It is nice to have the whole family together again (well, most of the time it is ). Enjoy your holiday - hope you get some decent weather!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:45 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Calgary!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Hiya and welcome to the Uk.....OOOps no it is Calgary - just the constantly overcast skies remind me of London!!!

Just wanted to say that my little guy has just finished the Butterfield Acres Camp and loved it....He did it last yr as well and just had a blast....

Hope you all settle in quickly....
All the best
Lisa