Reload this Page >

Calgary - Alberta Job Market Question

Calgary - Alberta Job Market Question

Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

cyclops3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Calgary - Alberta Job Market Question

Hi All
I've just started looking at this so please excuse any repetition.
I've wanted to work and settle in Canada for at least the last 10 years having visited the west and loved the people / country.
Before I start a big push to look / apply to get there I hope to ask you for your useful knowledge / opinions about the real state of the job market in Alberta if you don't mind...? (It would be relevant at this point to mention I'm an IT Systems Managers / Project Manager)

I've looked up a link to Alberta’s Occupational Demand and Supply Outlook 2011-2021 (http://employment.alberta.ca/documen...ly-outlook.pdf) and there doesn't yet look to be a huge demand in my area (and no reference to Project Managers I can see) compared to some occupations; so I'm wary about taking big risks.

At my age (50) it's last chance to do this and considering I'm flexible as to location, can anyone from their experience suggest the most effective way to go forwards finding jobs and getting an offer from an employer? (I get 65 points on the points self -assessment test so need to look at an offer of employment to get to Canada under the immigration program / Provincial Nominee Program / other ways it can be done.)
Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Mike
Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary - Alberta Job Market Question

Originally Posted by cyclops3
(I get 65 points on the points self -assessment test so need to look at an offer of employment to get to Canada under the immigration program / Provincial Nominee Program / other ways it can be done.)
You'd need a job offer to qualify as a Skilled Worker anyway, even with more than 67 points, as there are no IT related occupations on the list of eligible jobs. But don't forget that it must be a job offer approved by HRSDC, meaning you must have an AEO (unlikely, given that an employer would have to wait 18 months or so for you to start work), or a LMO for it to qualify as 'arranged employment'.

So realistically, your only chance is going to be to convince an employer to go through the paperwork/hassle/wait of applying for your LMO or PNP, but is that going to be an option that you want pursue if you say you don't want 'big risks'? Going on a TWP will be a risk, there's no getting away from that.

Definitely worth a try if you're happy going over on a TWP though, and hopefully those that work in IT in Alberta will chime in soon and give you some advice on the job market there. Does it have to be Alberta? It may well be that other provinces will give you a better shot at finding a job offer.

Good luck.