Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary, Alberta

Calgary, Alberta

Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:20 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary, Alberta

Originally Posted by AbbieClements
Thank you! Someone who actually gives their opinion! I am so glad to have heard back from someone living near to Calgary.

It sounds as though it ticks pretty much every box! Where did you move over from?

I am looking to visit Calgary at the start of next year for a holiday and also a few other places, which I haven't decided on just yet but keep getting more feedback which is good!

What made you decide to live in a town next to Calgary as opposed to living in Calgary itself? I am guessing house prices are very steep looking at the growth of the place?

Thanks for the reply
You were given opinions in the other thread but, 1) they weren't what you wanted to hear and2) you were advised that being more specific would get you better answers. So lby asking about Calgary you got answers. See how it works?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

AbbieClements will become famous soon enoughAbbieClements will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bats
You were given opinions in the other thread but, 1) they weren't what you wanted to hear and2) you were advised that being more specific would get you better answers. So lby asking about Calgary you got answers. See how it works?
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain that all to me. I didn't realise that it possibly worked like that.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:59 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain that all to me. I didn't realise that it possibly worked like that.
Calgary has a lot to offer the outdoor type - but i would say it's not all on your doorstep - depending on where you life
The mountains are off to the west - and although there are hiking and biking options down bragg creek way , the banff/canmore direction is where majority seem to head - north,south, east are flat (waterton is 2.5/3 hrs away)
we live in deep sw calgary so tack on another 30mins-ish to clear city limits, before heading out to Banff - people in NW have much easier access (and Cochrane)

i may have factored this into my house-move if i'd thought it through...

doh

but we do have fish creek on our doorstep
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

The best course of action is to find a job before you go. Then your employer has to get an LMO (Labor Market Opinion) to show the job can't be filled by a Canadian at present. Then you apply for a temporary work permit. This is what we did, and it takes up to 6 months. As they say on the Canadian government immigration website, don't give up your current job, don't sell your house, until you have the temporary work permit in your hand.

As far as Calgary is concerned - we've been here for just under 2 years, and we love it. It's a big, busy and safe city, and has some great neighbourhoods. There is a shortage of labour in just about every field, so you stand a good chance of getting a job. If you like the outdoors, then Alberta is a great place to live.

I'd suggest the "just turn up and get a job" approach is not a great one. You'll have a lot more fun if you're sorted job-wise before you get here.

Hope this helps

Last edited by iaink; Mar 4th 2013 at 6:32 pm. Reason: link should go in a sig file
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:34 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by forest.to.foothills
The best course of action is to find a job before you go. Then your employer has to get an LMO (Labor Market Opinion) to show the job can't be filled by a Canadian at present. Then you apply for a temporary work permit. This is what we did, and it takes up to 6 months. As they say on the Canadian government immigration website, don't give up your current job, don't sell your house, until you have the temporary work permit in your hand.

As far as Calgary is concerned - we've been here for just under 2 years, and we love it. It's a big, busy and safe city, and has some great neighbourhoods. There is a shortage of labour in just about every field, so you stand a good chance of getting a job. If you like the outdoors, then Alberta is a great place to live.

I'd suggest the "just turn up and get a job" approach is not a great one. You'll have a lot more fun if you're sorted job-wise before you get here.

Hope this helps
Welcome to BE. Just a houskeeping note, the link to your blog should go in a signature file. Technically your username shouldnt be associated with a website, but as its your blog (nice skiing at kicking horse!) and you are not selling anything I'll turn a blind eye to it...

Also, Id never sell a house on only a temp work permit, I know too many people who found that "temporary" was not just a technicality. Wait for PR is best.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 4th 2013 at 6:36 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:39 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Technically your username shouldnt be associated with a website, but as its your blog (nice skiing at kicking horse!) and you are not selling anything I'll turn a blind eye to it...
I'd make them change it. Blogspam is the aids of the internet.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:44 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'd make them change it. Blogspam is the aids of the internet.
Jury is out, depends if they post like regular folk or not I guess.

Perhaps they could contact Sue and ask her to change it to something else...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=11
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Iain
I've put the blog site in my signature now. Hadn't realised you could do that :-).

I take your point about selling a house based on a temp work permit. It think it depends on how confident you are about the job itself. My wife got a university chair here with tenure, so we knew we were here for a while, so we did sell and indeed buy a house here while holding a temp work permit.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

AshleighG is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Thornes, I am new to this forum so unable to PM you but I am very interested in your note of possible short term accommodation. I am coming to Canada with my partner and friend on working VISAs. The boys have jobs with a friend who is based in Cochrane but we are unsure where to set up our permenant base as we may want to live closer to Calgary. Having trouble finding somewhere to rent short term whilst we get ourselves adjusted! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ashleigh
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:00 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AshleighG
Dear Thornes, I am new to this forum so unable to PM you but I am very interested in your note of possible short term accommodation. I am coming to Canada with my partner and friend on working VISAs. The boys have jobs with a friend who is based in Cochrane but we are unsure where to set up our permenant base as we may want to live closer to Calgary. Having trouble finding somewhere to rent short term whilst we get ourselves adjusted! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ashleigh
Hi Ashleigh. You only need make one more comment to make the magic number of 3 then you can PM me. I agree, short term rentals are not always easy to come by (are you looking for furnished or unfurnished?). However, send me a message when you can and let me know when you're coming over and we will see what we can arrange. Depending on your dates, if I can't help you I perhaps know of a couple of other possibilities!
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

AshleighG is an unknown quantity at this point

Great thanks so much - this is now my third post so will PM you ASAP!
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:44 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I have read so many different things about Calgary so we are in a bit of a loss of what to do. We are looking for a new quiet life, we are outdoor people and not much for clubbing etc. Is Calgary good for immigrants finding jobs? Is it a safe place? We are not thinking about raising a family at present so it would just be us two.

I know that oil/gas is the main industry there, any need for accountants there?
Yes, to all of those questions.

Just bear in mind the default weather is winter, so there is plenty of outdoors but you might find it a bit hard to cope with.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I cannot imagine that an accountant would have any difficulty finding work in Calgary.
Well, other than the tax laws are totally and completely different in just about every way. Any accountant moving here from the UK would need some sort of training.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well, other than the tax laws are totally and completely different in just about every way.
They are? I thought they were quite similar, you know, individuals get taxed, they have some allowances then bands of tax, commerce gets taxed, they call that VAT or HST, businesses get taxed, capital gains get taxed. The rates, bands and allowances are different but it's not like one jurisdiction taxes on wealth and the other on income.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well, other than the tax laws are totally and completely different in just about every way. Any accountant moving here from the UK would need some sort of training.
What did I say that contradicted the above?

As you know, I am a lawyer. I was a lawyer in England too. The law and the procedures are very different in England and Alberta. I didn't struggle to find work in Calgary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.