Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary, Alberta

Calgary, Alberta

Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

AbbieClements will become famous soon enoughAbbieClements will become famous soon enough
Default Calgary, Alberta

Hi there,

I was wondering if I could have some advice on moving to Calgary. I currently live in the UK with my partner. We both have full time trained jobs (Accountant and Machinist). We are wanting to start a new life in Canada in 3 years tops.

I have read so many different things about Calgary so we are in a bit of a loss of what to do. We are looking for a new quiet life, we are outdoor people and not much for clubbing etc. Is Calgary good for immigrants finding jobs? Is it a safe place? We are not thinking about raising a family at present so it would just be us two.

I know that oil/gas is the main industry there, any need for accountants there?

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated and would appreciate any comments and time taken to answer.

Thanks, Abbie
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:16 am

salmonfella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calgary, Alberta

all the best in Calgary i am going myself in a few weeks
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

AbbieClements will become famous soon enoughAbbieClements will become famous soon enough

Thank you! Ah good luck with that! Where are you moving from?

I am so so excited but I don't even know where to start! Apart from having saved money, I am lost!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:22 am

Moving from Ireland heading solo don't no anywhere there but twill be grand i am in construction and have been in a few contacts with people seems there is a fair bit going on so i would be confident enough i will get work.. Calgary seems to be a very safe place from what i have read on it so no worriers there.ye its a bit hard to get everything planned out as long as your willing to take any job till the right one comes along you should be grand i think that where a lot of people slip up they think a job is beneath them and before they no it there down to there last few dollars lol...
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Sounds like it will be a good move, I wish you all the best. I know there is a big need for skills such as construction over there...just worried that there may not be a need for accountants. I would be happy to do any work, to have a roof over my head, but how do you even find contacts to see about jobs? Are you going there on a work visa? Where did you even start? I have been reading lots of forums but I think now is the time to really start thinking about forms etc =]
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:41 am

well i am going on the iec visa i just got it last week there was 6350 issued for Ireland and they went in 4 days.. basically its an open work permit which will allow me to work in canada for 2 years..well i am an electrician so i just typed electrician Calgary in too Google and started sending emails/cvs and got a good bit of feedback if you and your hubby are under 30 or 35 not sure of the age ye can apply for this visa http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ex.aspx?view=d
it will give ye a year or 2 in canada the next time you can apply is the 7th march and there are over 2000 visas available so i would get reading as they will fly out too
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Blimey! I thought there would be a limit on numbers but I did not realise it would be that competitive! It's me and my boyfriend going and we are 23/24 but hoping to go over in 2015/2016 as we are currently saving money to take over there. Could we apply for that now and use it when we are ready or does it have a time limit on it?

That is exactly what we want to do, just go over and work, whilst renting then when the time comes apply for citizenship and buy a house!

I did email one of the big Audit companies and did hear back but it wasn't too positive. I will keep trying as you say and see what the general response is. Have saved that link onto my favourites, thank you very much for your help!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:51 am

no tbh you would be better to wait till next year or even 2015 before applying as when the visa is issued you have to use it within one year so if you apply in march you will have to travel before march 2014 so you would be best to wait till the year you plan on going. they open around this time every year and you will have the visa in about 4 weeks so its a quick process..
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:10 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

You do realise you are missing out a small but rather significant step between working holiday visa and citizenship right?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
You do realise you are missing out a small but rather significant step between working holiday visa and citizenship right?
I do yes, I am just thinking about the first step and end goal. I know there is a vast and complex gap in between
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I plan on getting a PR via the wife route? so lock up yer daughtersLol...
ah no i am hoping wen i get my electrical trade certs it will allow me to get some kind of sponsorship after my 2 years are up
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:57 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AbbieClements
Hi there,

I was wondering if I could have some advice on moving to Calgary. I currently live in the UK with my partner. We both have full time trained jobs (Accountant and Machinist). We are wanting to start a new life in Canada in 3 years tops.

I have read so many different things about Calgary so we are in a bit of a loss of what to do. We are looking for a new quiet life, we are outdoor people and not much for clubbing etc. Is Calgary good for immigrants finding jobs? Is it a safe place? We are not thinking about raising a family at present so it would just be us two.

I know that oil/gas is the main industry there, any need for accountants there?

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated and would appreciate any comments and time taken to answer.

Thanks, Abbie
Hi Abbie

If you want a quiet life, are outdoor people and not really into clubs etc then Calgary, in my opinion, ticks all those boxes. We live in a town neighbouring Calgary although my husband works in Calgary itself. There are clubs etc there but its not the sort of city people move to for its pumping night life.

Calgary is a relatively safe city to live in with lots of great communities and neighbourhoods too.

I can't comment on job prospects for you as I have no knowledge on whether there's a demand for either of your professions.

Its in a great location if you're outdoorsy people. Being so close to the Rockies, there's ample opportunity for skiing, hiking, camping, cycling etc.

We moved here over four years ago and love it.

Let me know if I can help you out with anything else and all the best.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you! Someone who actually gives their opinion! I am so glad to have heard back from someone living near to Calgary.

It sounds as though it ticks pretty much every box! Where did you move over from?

I am looking to visit Calgary at the start of next year for a holiday and also a few other places, which I haven't decided on just yet but keep getting more feedback which is good!

What made you decide to live in a town next to Calgary as opposed to living in Calgary itself? I am guessing house prices are very steep looking at the growth of the place?

Thanks for the reply
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

When wages are taken into account, the house prices in Calgary are not too bad.

The towns within travelling distance of Calgary, generally, offer even better value for money.

I believe that Calgary will offer you everything you are seeking. I suspect other places may offer those too.

I cannot imagine that an accountant would have any difficulty finding work in Calgary. In fact, I can't imagine anybody would have great difficulty finding work in Calgary. Generally, employers in Calgary have a "can do" as opposed to a "can't do" attitude.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Mar 4th 2013 at 5:16 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:55 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AbbieClements
Thank you! Someone who actually gives their opinion! I am so glad to have heard back from someone living near to Calgary.

It sounds as though it ticks pretty much every box! Where did you move over from?

I am looking to visit Calgary at the start of next year for a holiday and also a few other places, which I haven't decided on just yet but keep getting more feedback which is good!

What made you decide to live in a town next to Calgary as opposed to living in Calgary itself? I am guessing house prices are very steep looking at the growth of the place?

Thanks for the reply
You're welcome! We moved over from Surrey.

Yes, good idea to come for a visit to get a feel for places. If you're happy to stay outside of Calgary, check out my note below re accommodation.

As to why we chose to live near to Calgary as opposed to in the city itself, I think we preferred the idea of living in a town as opposed to a city. So far as cities go, Calgary is a very different (nicer) city than those we'd experienced back in the UK but we didn't live in a city in the UK (we were in a village) and preferred to live somewhere a little quieter. Out of the nearby towns, we picked Cochrane, in part because this is where we had stayed when we had been over on recce trips and had got to know the place and a few people but also because we liked its location being between Calgary and the mountains so we felt we were getting the best of both worlds so to speak.

Like Almost Canadian said, houses prices are pretty relevant to wages I guess and certainly cheaper than where we were in the UK! And, yes, I think they are a little cheaper once you get out to the neighbouring towns if you don't mind the short comute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.