British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Buying an unlocked cell phone in Canada (dual sim) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/buying-unlocked-cell-phone-canada-dual-sim-867618/)

Snowy560 Nov 6th 2015 4:21 pm

Buying an unlocked cell phone in Canada (dual sim)

Hi I want to buy an unlocked dual sim phone by mail order. I want to be careful I don't end up ordering from abroad and incurring all sorts of import duties.

Last time I used these people and they were fantastic, but they haven't got a phone I really want this time:

OmegaCell Communications :: Unlocked Phones – OmegaCell Communications Inc.

I've come across:

First for Smartphones, Tablets, Laptops and Accessories - EXPANSYS Canada

but don't know anything about them. Anyone heard of them?

Thanks.

S

Former Lancastrian Nov 6th 2015 4:47 pm

Re: Buying an unlocked cell phone in Canada (dual sim)

Did you read their conditions?
1.1 EXPANSYS operates multiple warehouses around the globe. Occasionally we may ship orders to US customers from warehouses outside of the USA. In this event, the customer will still receive a clean delivery with no duties or taxes payable by the customer.
3.0 Sales Tax

3.1 Sales tax includes GST, PST, brokerage fees, duties and other import fees. We pay these charges to the Canadian government to allow our customers to receive a clean delivery.

just judging by that Id say they are not located in Canada but the price paid allegedly includes all taxes and duties.
Also check their shipping rates as found here
Shipping Information - eXpansys Canada - EXPANSYS Canada

Snowy560 Nov 6th 2015 4:49 pm

Thank you. That's what I think too. Probably you won't get charged extra stuff on delivery but it does come from abroad.

Moderators: I posted this in the wrong section. I'm sorry. It was meant to be in the general Canada section.

S

haggis88 Nov 6th 2015 6:03 pm

Recently I've been noticing Best Buy and Walmart stocking Dual Sim Android Phones...had a look at one of them in BB last week and whilst it doesn't have the feel and sleekness of a Samsung, it seems like a decent enough piece of kit

Snowy560 Nov 6th 2015 6:11 pm

Yes, you are right.

Walmart and Staples both stock the Blu Studio 6.0 and also the Blu Studio X Plus. The 6.0 is available to look at at Staples (not at Walmart) although the X Plus isn't at either (online only). I've looked at the reviews which aren't bad. Blu is often compared to Motorola Moto G. Motorola still comes out ahead though.

I could be tempted. However, I am also interested in a Moto G 3rd gen (don't think dual sim is available in Canada yet) or Moto X Play. I have a Motorola G 1st Gen dual SIM and I have to say, for the money, it's been excellent, but it's starting to come to the end of its life and the screen is smaller than I would like (and/or my eyesight is getting worse!).

S

PS: I should correct my first post. I would prefer to walk into a store, see what I am buying and then buy but it's not always possible for what I want.

Former Lancastrian Nov 6th 2015 6:23 pm

People today eh.
I have always thought that getting a cell phone consisted of getting a phone that makes and receives calls but I must be so out of touch.
Oh you want to text or snap chat or face time or surf the net or watch the last episode of Coronation St. Do these phones have a toast darkness selector on them or can you insert a Keuring K cup?

Next they will be inventing a tablet type thingy that can do all of this and just use the phone for what it was intended for. There again the amount of smart phones that are dropped or left in a bar or on the bus just means the manufacturers of these phones have a steady stream of income. Oh look Apple have just come out with a new phone and at $899 thats pretty cheap.

Snowy560 Nov 6th 2015 6:42 pm

This is what I do on my phone:

Text: UK and Canada
Call/receive calls (only on Canada SIM). If anyone calls on UK SIM I can see who it is/what its about.
Use Viber to call overseas
check my emails
Have access to my dropbox.
Read BBC pages via app.
Super occasionally: Skype
Occasionally: Facebook upload photos etc.
Oh yes, take photos.

Occasionally use it for internet webpages if in a cafe or on the move.

S

Oink Nov 6th 2015 6:45 pm

If you can get them to write 'gift' on the customs form and send it by mail you can usually avoid all that tax/duty nonsense.

Former Lancastrian Nov 6th 2015 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11788064)
If you can get them to write 'gift' on the customs form and send it by mail you can usually avoid all that tax/duty nonsense.

Yeah but when the shipper is shown as a commercial address and they include the purchase invoice on the outside of the package its a bit of a give away to us neanderthals who work for CBSA;)

Snowy560 Nov 6th 2015 6:58 pm

Particularly if the value is more than (is it) $60 for gifts!

and I think it's $20 for commercial sellers. None of the stuff I get from ebay (coming from China) which is always well under $20 has been a problem.

I tend to think a phone is going to be different. That's why I was wondering about Expansys as it seems they get their stuff from different countries. But I don't know how its sent whether via an intermediary in Canada or what. I did try to call. No answer. Not a good start.

S

Shirtback Nov 6th 2015 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 11788059)
This is what I do on my phone:

Text: UK and Canada
Call/receive calls (only on Canada SIM). If anyone calls on UK SIM I can see who it is/what its about.
Use Viber to call overseas
check my emails
Have access to my dropbox.
Read BBC pages via app.
Super occasionally: Skype
Occasionally: Facebook upload photos etc.
Oh yes, take photos.

Occasionally use it for internet webpages if in a cafe or on the move.

S

I can do all that on a not dual sim/not unlocked phone?? I'm clearly missing something about the question ....

Snowy560 Nov 6th 2015 7:14 pm

I want to keep on with a dual sim phone because I keep a Canadian sim in slot 1 and a UK sim in slot 2.

There are a few friends I keep in touch with in the UK via text. Also Barclaycard occasionally texts me (UK sim) if they are checking possible fraud on the card. Dual SIM phones are always unlocked (to my knowledge), that's why service providers (either here or in the UK) don't sell them.

But you're right. You can do all I do without a dual sim phone except keep in touch with a few UK friends who you haven't managed to transition over to viber or similar.

Also the UK sim is great when I go back (even if not often). I ring up Virgin UK and say as I haven't made any calls etc for the last year, will you give me some extra minutes/data for the two weeks I'm in the UK. And they have done. I pay £5 a month. I could let it go but I don't.

S

BristolUK Nov 6th 2015 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11788035)
Do these phones have a toast darkness selector on them or can you insert a Keuring K cup?

http://vladsokolovsky.com/forums/pub...een-smiley.gif

Partially discharged Nov 6th 2015 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11788069)
Yeah but when the shipper is shown as a commercial address and they include the purchase invoice on the outside of the package its a bit of a give away to us neanderthals who work for CBSA;)

I'm sure I've seen you on Border Security:thumbsup:

Former Lancastrian Nov 6th 2015 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 11788103)
I'm sure I've seen you on Border Security:thumbsup:

Not photogenic enough and they would have to use far too many bleeps if they filmed me;)