Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buying, registering and insuring a car in BC as a Non Resident

Buying, registering and insuring a car in BC as a Non Resident

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

alisonforster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying, registering and insuring a car in BC as a Non Resident

I'll be visiting BC for about 4 months and am hoping to buy a cheap second hand car. Does anyone know what the process would be in obtaining insurance and registration? I can provide the address of where I will be staying in BC and have a Canadian bank account, but only have a UK drivers license. Thanks so much.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying, registering and insuring a car in BC as a Non Resident

While visiting B.C., what kind of driver’s licence do I need?

Non-resident drivers who hold a valid driver's licence from their home jurisdiction may drive in B.C. with their out-of-province driver's licence for a maximum of six months. This applies regardless of whether they hold a valid international driving permit. For more information contact the Driver Licensing Information line at 1-800-950-1498 or 978-8300 in Victoria

Read this link for further info
http://www.icbc.com/about-ICBC
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:51 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

I emailed ICBC about this (the government corporation that insures, registers and licences drivers and vehicles in BC). This was their response in December 2010:

Such a visitor may register, license, and insure a vehicle in their name in BC, provided that the vehicle will be kept in BC most of the time.

They may drive in BC on their valid British driver's licence for up to six months from the date they last entered the province, provided they are operating under the terms and conditions of that licence. This six-month time period applies to all non-resident drivers, including those who may also have an International Driving Permit. After that time, they must hold a BC driver's licence in order to drive in the province.

Based on their claims record outside of BC, they may qualify for a Claim-Rated Scale discount if they can provide a claim experience letter (or letters) from their British insurance company (or companies).

The letter(s) will have to be on company letterhead and include the following information:
  • the name(s) of the registered vehicle owner(s) and all drivers listed on the insurance policy (or policies)
  • the policy number(s)
  • the period(s) of time, with specific effective and expiry dates (including the month, day, and year), during which there was coverage
  • the dates of any at-fault claims

We do not accept a statement of a no-claims bonus as proof of claim-free driving.

For each year of claim-free driving outside of BC, they would qualify for a 5% discount, up to a maximum of 40% for at least eight years of claim-free driving. You can find more information about applying for a Claim-Rated Scale discount at http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/moving/moving-to
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 1:09 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The insurance will likely cost more than renting a car, if you can get it. ICBC sells 6 month and 12 month policies.
You will have to pay tax on the vehicle you purchase.
Used vehicles are not cheap in B.C.

For 4 months, now worth the hassle in my opinion. Get a long term rental.