Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buying Property in Canada - Seasonal Resident (whilst applying for PR)

Wikiposts

Buying Property in Canada - Seasonal Resident (whilst applying for PR)

Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:14 am
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Buying Property in Canada - Seasonal Resident (whilst applying for PR)

Originally Posted by Steve_
That's not a problem, goods enter duty-free even as a seasonal resident. You just put them down on the B4. You only get into hot water if you dispose of them within 12 months of importing them.
I know you are trying to be helpful but you seem to have missed the point, A seasonal resident has to own or lease a house already, not be about to own one, that was my point. So when this person enters, because they do not already own a house they can not claim to be seasonal residents.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:17 am
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Buying Property in Canada - Seasonal Resident (whilst applying for PR)

Originally Posted by Sumner5
Hi Flipance That is a VERY interesting point you've raised. Forgive me but I am not familiar with the term 'flagpole' - what do you mean?
Flogpoling is leaving the country and entering again at any convieniant border crossing. ( Normaly done to land to activate PR, but it may be a way you can get your goods to follow in)
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Sumner5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flipance
Flogpoling is leaving the country and entering again at any convieniant border crossing. ( Normaly done to land to activate PR, but it may be a way you can get your goods to follow in)
Dear All

Thanks for all your useful replies. As a result of the comment posted about our arrival before closure on our property purchase meaning we wouldn't be seasonal residents and the potential need to flagpole I called CSBA yesterday and was relieved to hear that they will take a common sense view on it......we simply need to explain to the customs officer that we are arriving to purchase a property and take occupation for the first time and that the goods to follow will therefore be used in our seasonal residence and apparently that is absolutely fine - phew!

Hope this might help others along the line.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 12:01 am
887 lb pumpkin

Originally Posted by Sumner5
Dear All

Thanks for all your useful replies. As a result of the comment posted about our arrival before closure on our property purchase meaning we wouldn't be seasonal residents and the potential need to flagpole I called CSBA yesterday and was relieved to hear that they will take a common sense view on it......we simply need to explain to the customs officer that we are arriving to purchase a property and take occupation for the first time and that the goods to follow will therefore be used in our seasonal residence and apparently that is absolutely fine - phew!

Hope this might help others along the line.
Great result
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 3:40 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The CRA told me once that if you claim the tax deduction for a home office that means it's no longer part of your residence so that becomes subject to CGT too, which basically makes the deduction worthless, imo. Been told this several different ways by different people, never seem to be able to get a straight answer about it.
I think that is because there is the law, and the application of the law - which are not always the same. The law says on any change of use there is a deemed disposition and reacquisition that could trigger a capital gain.

In practice, using part of your home for business or rental will not mean a loss of principal residence status if the business and/or rental use is incidental to its use as a residence.

This is from the CRA's T4036 guide:

You are usually considered to have changed the use of part of your principal residence when you start to use that part for rental purposes. However, you are not considered to have changed its use if:

* the part you use for rental purposes is small in relation to the whole property;
* you do not make any structural changes to the property to make it more suitable for rental purposes; and
* you do not deduct any CCA on the part you are using for rental purposes.

If you meet all the above conditions, the whole property may qualify as your principal residence even though you are using part of it for rental purposes.

I find a similar common sense attitude is taken to business use of a principal residence. The key condition IMHO is CCA. If you claim capital cost allowance then that part of the house can no longer be considered as a principal residence (and you'll get stung for recapture when you sell it or change it back).
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 3:56 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There are mortgages for non-residents, although the amount required as a down payment are higher.

One bank who provide this service is CIBC

http://www.cibc.ca/ca/mortgages/new-...ner-pgrms.html

Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:11 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I find a similar common sense attitude is taken to business use of a principal residence. The key condition IMHO is CCA. If you claim capital cost allowance then that part of the house can no longer be considered as a principal residence (and you'll get stung for recapture when you sell it or change it back).
"Small in relation to the whole property" - so it's vague, basically. "Small" could mean anything really. Which is probably why I can never get a straight answer about it. "We don't care unless you get audited".

Plus there's the bit about making changes to the property. So if you convert your garage into an office...