Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buying a house you've never seen?!?!?!

Buying a house you've never seen?!?!?!

Old May 1st 2007, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Buying a house you've never seen?!?!?!

Hi there TW

I would wait until you get there to buy a house. My husband and I are also looking in the Fraser Valley; however not in that price range. I spoke to a realtor that honestly informed us that the Fraser Valley has seen such an upsurge in listings recently and thus prices are not really appreciating much if any (especially in that price range). I understand your desire to buy something asap, but I would wait until you have a chance to view a variety of places.

I have included a link to the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board. If you look at Housing Statistics and Trends they will break down the price inflation or deflation for each month. Most parts of the FV have experienced slight deflation over the past two months. This is a concern as it is the buying season. I would ask your Canadian realtor about this.
http://www.fvreb.bc.ca/

Good luck

Originally Posted by The TWs
Hi All,

Thanks for your comments. Well... we decided to send some wonderful friends of ours and our realtor through the house before we bought the flights out there. They went through the house yesterday and the feedback was really interesting. Basically, the layout, rooms, garden, neighbourhood were all great but... the finishing on the place was really poor (the realtor gave it 4 out of 10!) which is interesting because if you look at the photos the finishing looks impressive. Apparently they used high quality materials but very low quality workmanship.

The process of trying to decide whether to buy it has been really interesting and helpful. I do think its possible to buy sight unseen IF you have friends/family/realtor you can trust (ours was incredibly honest) AND they can take photos for you. It also made us realise that we really want something that's ours when we land rather than hunting then and so as soon as our house is sold and sorted I think we'll head out for a couple of days and a big house hunt!

Thanks again for all your comments!

emily

Last edited by Juliew; May 1st 2007 at 6:39 pm.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:27 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

I have fallen in love with a house on mls.ca that is within our budget and in a great area and am considering , slightly, the prospect of buying something without seeing it myself.

I have my mum over there and my mother and father-in-law are heading out for a visit so they can see it too.

Has anyone else done this? Am I totally mad to even consider it?
Last year in the crazy Calgary market, I assisted someone from the UK to buy a house over here never seen. I took lots of new photos, plus a video with commentary, pointing out all the bad bits as well as good.

When they came over, they moved in 4 days later and loved the house.

It can be done, but it is a risk.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Juliew
Hi there TW

I would wait until you get there to buy a house. My husband and I are also looking in the Fraser Valley; however not in that price range. I spoke to a realtor that honestly informed us that the Fraser Valley has seen such an upsurge in listings recently and thus prices are not really appreciating much if any (especially in that price range). I understand your desire to buy something asap, but I would wait until you have a chance to view a variety of places.

I have included a link to the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board. If you look at Housing Statistics and Trends they will break down the price inflation or deflation for each month. Most parts of the FV have experienced slight deflation over the past two months. This is a concern as it is the buying season. I would ask your Canadian realtor about this.
http://www.fvreb.bc.ca/

Good luck
Thanks Julie - thats really interesting. We're holidn off for a bit but my in-laws (who will be living in the basement suite) are heading out there in 3 weeks so we'll see what happens!

Thanks for the advice!

Emily
Old May 8th 2007, 5:01 am
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all

I have fallen in love with a house on mls.ca that is within our budget and in a great area and am considering , slightly, the prospect of buying something without seeing it myself.

I have my mum over there and my mother and father-in-law are heading out for a visit so they can see it too.

Has anyone else done this? Am I totally mad to even consider it?
Don't do it!

Pay £1000 for flights etc. and go see it for yourself. I looked at some properties on MLS that seemed perfect but they weren't!

Ian.
Old May 8th 2007, 6:13 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Julie - thats really interesting. We're holidn off for a bit but my in-laws (who will be living in the basement suite) are heading out there in 3 weeks so we'll see what happens!

Thanks for the advice!

Emily
I think, personally, that the house is overpriced. I drove by it recently and whilst the house is nice, it is hemmed in with other houses in the same area. You are paying for the freeway access, less so the upmarket neighbourhood. Langley is OK, soulless, but then most places here are. If you are spending that amount of money you might wish to consider moving up the freeway a bit and getting a whole lot more house for less money with way better views. Houses over $600k are not selling like hot-cakes, despite what some realtors will tell you. I would also wait to see if the Fraser Valley becomes one giant lake in the next few weeks. The Prince George gauge is going up...

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/rfc/
Old May 8th 2007, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dingbat
I think, personally, that the house is overpriced. I drove by it recently and whilst the house is nice, it is hemmed in with other houses in the same area. You are paying for the freeway access, less so the upmarket neighbourhood. Langley is OK, soulless, but then most places here are. If you are spending that amount of money you might wish to consider moving up the freeway a bit and getting a whole lot more house for less money with way better views. Houses over $600k are not selling like hot-cakes, despite what some realtors will tell you. I would also wait to see if the Fraser Valley becomes one giant lake in the next few weeks. The Prince George gauge is going up...

Thanks Dingbat! I appreciate you driving by.

I agree with you a bit on Langley being soulless but we're moving there to be closer to family and friends and I think that most the suburbs are!

Our realtor actually thought for the imperfections on the interior the house was massively overpriced too. Hence the waiting!

Interesting about the flood plains - I lived in Chilliwack for a bit and some of the normal flooding could be a nightmare - this sounds like its time for an ark!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:11 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat

It did not become a giant lake, the gauge was high, but the river peaked without incident. We have good flood protection, many areas are at risk of flooding by the Fraser, from Richmond (including the airport), to parts of Surrey, Maple Ridge, Langley, Mission right up to Prince George.