Reload this Page >

Buying a house - Nova Scotia

Buying a house - Nova Scotia

Old Nov 26th 2018, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

ldsau93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a house - Nova Scotia

Evening.

We have a potential job move to NS from the UK in the Spring (2019). We would look to buy a house fairly soon. Realistically, how long should we allow for this, assuming we've chosen a house to buy.

From the houses we've seen on line, they all appear to be empty and not lived in which is mostly encouraging.

Any thoughts, hints or tips welcome (we're looking at Falls River or Bedford, just north of Halifax).
Old Nov 26th 2018, 5:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a house - Nova Scotia

Are you moving on a TWP or with PR?
Old Nov 26th 2018, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

2 year TWP to begin with. If things don't work out we would either sell or rent the house out.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 6:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldsau93
2 year TWP to begin with. If things don't work out we would either sell or rent the house out.
OK, so personally I'd recommend you wait until you have PR. Hopefully it wouldn't happen, but if you were laid off whilst on a TWP then you'd have a house you couldn't live in, and given how expensive it is to buy and sell houses in Canada, it's not a risk I'd take.

If you wait until you have PR it will also give you time to figure out exactly where you want to be.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved over on TWP and made risk of buying as we was bring 3 dogs and knew rental would be an issue. I saw house in February and we signed paperwork 1 April. We was surprised how quick it was compared to the UK
Old Nov 27th 2018, 9:45 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Research carefully expected house price inflation in your chosen area. It will be a lot less than in the UK and may essentially be zero to low single digits over your two year period. Then factor in that a Canadian realtor will typically charge 4-5% (+HST) to sell your house & you could easily make a loss when you come to sell. Renting may prove a more prudent option until you have PR.

I have friends who recently moved from Newfoundland to Fall River & love it there. I may be able to obtain a Realtor recommendation if you are interested.

AX
Old Nov 27th 2018, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Any tips on a realtor would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 3:58 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Evening.

We have a potential job move to NS from the UK in the Spring (2019). We would look to buy a house fairly soon. Realistically, how long should we allow for this, assuming we've chosen a house to buy.

From the houses we've seen on line, they all appear to be empty and not lived in which is mostly encouraging.

Any thoughts, hints or tips welcome (we're looking at Falls River or Bedford, just north of Halifax).
I would be cautious of viewing these houses as encouraging. Anything empy will have its own issues in this maritime climate of hot and humid in the summer and cold and damp in the winter. If no one has had heating on when cold you might encounter burst pipes, whilst constant humidity with no dehumidifier or air exchanger running will lead to mold.
Also, why is it empty? That would be my question.
You are coming to a place where you need to educate yourself on area, heating and cooling options, layout, style, age, and size and thats just for starters. In a way moving here is a little like re-learning your adult life.
Both Fall River and Bedford are nice. Fall River is more rural (think woods and lake) whilst Bedford more built up, they are both relatively expensive choices for area.
Really consider trying to avoid being house poor when you make your plans. The heating bill will be high compared to what you are used to. We mainly heat with wood but due to paying off a heat pump through NS Power and having kids that like leaving lights on, running a year-round hot tub and a pool in the summer, our monthly elec payment is $365.

Good luck in your planning.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 4:14 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I would be cautious of viewing these houses as encouraging. Anything empy will have its own issues in this maritime climate of hot and humid in the summer and cold and damp in the winter. If no one has had heating on when cold you might encounter burst pipes, whilst constant humidity with no dehumidifier or air exchanger running will lead to mold.
Also, why is it empty? That would be my question.
You are coming to a place where you need to educate yourself on area, heating and cooling options, layout, style, age, and size and thats just for starters. In a way moving here is a little like re-learning your adult life.
Both Fall River and Bedford are nice. Fall River is more rural (think woods and lake) whilst Bedford more built up, they are both relatively expensive choices for area.
Really consider trying to avoid being house poor when you make your plans. The heating bill will be high compared to what you are used to. We mainly heat with wood but due to paying off a heat pump through NS Power and having kids that like leaving lights on, running a year-round hot tub and a pool in the summer, our monthly elec payment is $365.

Good luck in your planning.
That's more than double our monthly electricity bill. Mind you, we have no pool or hot tub and my wife is a light switch Nazi. We'd all sit in the dark watching the wood burner in the evenings if she had her way!
Old Nov 27th 2018, 4:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
That's more than double our monthly electricity bill.
It's $100 more than ours but theirs includes the monthly payment for the heat pump which can cost thousands.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 5:17 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's $100 more than ours but theirs includes the monthly payment for the heat pump which can cost thousands.
Yes that payment is high to cover the heat pump and all the fluctuations of AC in the summer. Our last bill for two months was $558, of which $163 was heat pump repayment, therfore only $396 for two months or $198 per month. Its still high but we since cottoned on that the very old massive chest freezer in the garage didnt seal and likely never had. Its now gone and I am waiting to see the impact of that.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 6:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Yes that payment is high to cover the heat pump and all the fluctuations of AC in the summer. Our last bill for two months was $558, of which $163 was heat pump repayment, therfore only $396 for two months or $198 per month. Its still high but we since cottoned on that the very old massive chest freezer in the garage didnt seal and likely never had. Its now gone and I am waiting to see the impact of that.
Seems okay to me. Our equalised payment is $267 for heat pump/AC (no hot tub)....running costs only.

In the first couple of years I thought it high but aside from those in condos/apartments and Vancouver, it always looked favourable in comparison to what others posted whether wood, oil or electricity or some combination of.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for those perspectives. I took the houses being empty as positive in that - 'they've gone, one less link in the chain'. I have a spidey-sense when it comes to mold so will keep alert on that.

I would also sit in a sleeping bag than turn the heating on. Previous home (appartment) in Germany had (for some bizarre reason) very warm public areas, so I'd leave our front door (which opened onto very little used shared stairwell) open to allow the free heat into my place!.

We are open minded on area, first priority is to find a good school, then find house nearby, then full-size V8 SUV. Should the job application be successful, I would be working in downtown Halifax. Ideal commute is 30 minutes drive time.

I like the idea of rural, but on balance prefer the idea of humans on the other side of the picket fence, not bears. Please re-assure me that there are picket fences in NS...!
Old Nov 27th 2018, 7:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Just a word of caution.. a family member was relocated to NS by their employers - bought a house and 3 years later were relocated back to their original area - resulting in them having a house they could not sell in NS. It took them 7 years to find a purchaser and for the sale to go through - at a loss to them both from the sale and the expenses of sale.,, together with paying for a house they weren't living in and couldn't rent out!

Regarding putting on heating - you might change your mind when it's -30c without the wind chill factor, lol

Do be aware that houses are slow to move 'out East' as you will read from other members who have been trying to sell their properties. There's a reason housing is cheaper.. there's often a surplus of houses and it's a buyers market.

So if you are anticipating intially only being here for 2 years on a TWP - with no guarantee of being able to extend or get PR, I would proceed with caution before committing to purchasing a property. Have you ascertained that you would be able to gain PR at some point after a year? Do you have or will you have sufficient points to get an invite from the Express Entry pool - or the type of qualification and employment to get you Provincial Nomination? Something to double check first I would suggest.
Best of luck

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 27th 2018 at 7:39 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 7:31 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

If I'd known I wasnt imminently due PR way back when, I may have rented for a bit myself as it's an expensive do selling a house

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.