Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

buying a house in an economic minefield

buying a house in an economic minefield

Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:26 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying a house in an economic minefield

No one really knows what house prices are going to do. Buying instead of renting is basically locking yourself into the specific housing market, in a particular location, at a specific price. If pries go up and you still want to live in the same area then you did well to buy. If prices go down and you could have rented for less then you should have held out - but who knows....

For us - we bought last year, and yes it was probably at the so called top of the market - but you know what, who cares - thats life. We love our house, didn't over stretch, and were sensible in our budgeting. On the upside our mortgage is now stupidly cheap (at a rate we wouldn't be able to get now), and in the past year I've done a lot of renovating to get the place how we'd like it. In a rented property I wouldn't have bothered.

Sure if we'd have waited a year we might have been able to pick something up a little cheaper, however life is not all about waiting around. I view our place as a home first and an investment second. Now we're in the market, I don't care what prices do - in fact if they come down a little in the next five years it'll actually make trading up a little easier (less gap in price, less transaction fees etc) so bring it on.

As for renting - it's great for flexibility and the cost for renting a condo d/town looks like a bargain compared to buying. But surely things will come into balance. If house prices start to fall then why would a landlord rent at a loss? The only reason thats done now is a gamble on making a return on capital. If that goes away surely renters should expect to pay the cost of owner + a return. So then it's cheaper to buy and the cycle stats again....

No brainer to get in at the bottom if you can - but good luck getting the timing right....
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Keith
I have been in Ottawa since 1963 and I don't think any properties have increased 100X since 1963. Places such as shown in this MLS listing sold for around $22,000 in 1963 and have risen about 20X.
http://orebweb1.oreb.ca/mlssearch/fr...mls_num=734895
If a 100X increase in 45 years is the standard for a bubble then there is no bubble here. There was also no bubble in much of the UK or the US but people still seem to be hurting from a fall in property prices.

BTW, the property you mentioned is not a great Westboro location and might be impacted by the condo development planned for the next street over.

http://westborocollection.com/
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:35 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
If house prices start to fall then why would a landlord rent at a loss? The only reason thats done now is a gamble on making a return on capital. If that goes away surely renters should expect to pay the cost of owner + a return. So then it's cheaper to buy and the cycle stats again....
I'm not sure about Vancouver rental but in London the rental prices came down along with property values purely because of the saturation of the rental market whereby people refused to sell and chose to become landlords for a while.

Once prices begin to rise (as they are in London) more people will decide to sell bringing a decline in rental properties and helping the latter prices rise.

All in my opinion of course.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:40 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'm not sure about Vancouver rental but in London the rental prices came down along with property values purely because of the saturation of the rental market whereby people refused to sell and chose to become landlords for a while.

Once prices begin to rise (as they are in London) more people will decide to sell bringing a decline in rental properties and helping the latter prices rise.

Yeah, makes sense. However, on a long term basis the landlord has to make money so renting is always going to be more expensive than buying. Then it's back to buying at the right time again which is anyones guess......
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:41 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

No one really knows what house prices are going to do. Buying instead of renting is basically locking yourself into the specific housing market, in a particular location, at a specific price. If pries go up and you still want to live in the same area then you did well to buy. If prices go down and you could have rented for less then you should have held out - but who knows....

For us - we bought last year, and yes it was probably at the so called top of the market - but you know what, who cares - thats life. We love our house, didn't over stretch, and were sensible in our budgeting. On the upside our mortgage is now stupidly cheap (at a rate we wouldn't be able to get now), and in the past year I've done a lot of renovating to get the place how we'd like it. In a rented property I wouldn't have bothered.

Sure if we'd have waited a year we might have been able to pick something up a little cheaper, however life is not all about waiting around. I view our place as a home first and an investment second. Now we're in the market, I don't care what prices do - in fact if they come down a little in the next five years it'll actually make trading up a little easier (less gap in price, less transaction fees etc) so bring it on.

As for renting - it's great for flexibility and the cost for renting a condo d/town looks like a bargain compared to buying. But surely things will come into balance. If house prices start to fall then why would a landlord rent at a loss? The only reason thats done now is a gamble on making a return on capital. If that goes away surely renters should expect to pay the cost of owner + a return. So then it's cheaper to buy and the cycle stats again....

No brainer to get in at the bottom if you can - but good luck getting the timing right....
As repeatedly stated on here everyone's situation, timing is different. Sounds like you have made a decision that works for you. Yes we are looking for balance that is not there at the minute. As for landlords renting at a loss - many, many are at present - the notion of 'accidental landlords' is running rampant here. There is actually considerable downward pressure on rents in vancouver at the minute and the vacancy rate is the highest its been for years (interestingly these figures don't include private rental suites).

There does come a time when it makes sense to buy over renting but with the spreads at the minute it makes no sense.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:50 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo

It's all anybodies opinion - we all have a vested interest in real estate prices and as such we will tend listen to what we want to hear. I don't own a house so I will be biased towards news and articles that say prices are falling - I try to compensate for doing this, but it's never going to be perfect. Still I'm putting my money where my mouth is by not buying a house.... yet
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

I totally agree with your take on housing. We did the same thing when we arrived 46 years ago and since then have bought and sold 6 properties ( average every 8 years). We made a small mistake on our last property, but we still have a place of our own an plenty of savings for extras.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:22 am
Just Joined

northeast canuck has a brilliant futurenortheast canuck has a brilliant futurenortheast canuck has a brilliant futurenortheast canuck has a brilliant futurenortheast canuck has a brilliant futurenortheast canuck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Keith
I have been in Ottawa since 1963 and I don't think any properties have increased 100X since 1963. Places such as shown in this MLS listing sold for around $22,000 in 1963 and have risen about 20X.
http://orebweb1.oreb.ca/mlssearch/fr...mls_num=734895
Keith, that's a little misleading - sterling went through decimalisation since then which effectively changed the value of the currency in that timeframe. Everyone here who bought in the sixties loves to talk about their £3000 houses that are now worth £300k but they fail to mention that their salary was only maybe £1000 a year! You're comparing apples & oranges.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The rental argument is great if you willing to accept that you are not in control and may not be able to save for the future

Or one just doesn't have the income to buy.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:24 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

hooray, someone who talks sense......
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
hooray, someone who talks sense......
If you took the time to read the previous posts with a less critical eye, you would notice that we have said much the same thing - major point being that houses are homes and not investment vehicles....

Moreover, the balance to which rob references is not here yet, when that will be I don't know.

Everyone's situation is unique - some have families, some don't, some see homes as stability, pride of ownership, freedom etc, some view them as commodities to endlessly reno and flip. Some have large down payments, some don't, some earn a good wage, others don't.

The recurring point here is that those getting their feet on the first rung of homeownership in this market may find it a lot more slippery that you or I did in a balanced market. We are in a bubble = bubbles deflate. Not an issue if you are secure in your life, your home is affordable and you plan on staying put for an extended period - but not all are in this position, some are dangerously leverged and home ownership for them can lead to financial ruin, stess, and misery. Take a look south at the American dream.

We are also entering into a completely different world as far as our relationship with money goes - i for one hope and pray that we can take a leaf out of our parent's books and don't spend what you don't have - simple.

Last edited by dboy; Aug 11th 2009 at 5:14 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:20 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
...major point being that houses are homes and not investment vehicles....
Houses can be investment vehicles, though. I'd not be in the position I'm in unless I'd treated them as such.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H
Houses can be investment vehicles, though. I'd not be in the position I'm in unless I'd treated them as such.
Yes they can be - hence one of the reasons the world economy is f;;ked - ever hear of sub primes and ponzi schemes?

Homes can be a sound financial decision - but when people view them simply in that vein.......

Also if you would take the time to read this thread, you would notice that we are talking about those making the leap now. Should they or should n't they - short answer - it depends.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dboy
If you took the time to read the previous posts with a less critical eye, you would notice that we have said much the same thing - major point being that houses are homes and not investment vehicles....

Moreover, the balance to which rob references is not here yet, when that will be I don't know.

Everyone's situation is unique - some have families, some don't, some see homes as stability, pride of ownership, freedom etc, some view them as commodities to endlessly reno and flip. Some have large down payments, some don't, some earn a good wage, others don't.

The recurring point here is that those getting their feet on the first rung of homeownership in this market may find it a lot more slippery that you or I did in a balanced market. We are in a bubble = bubbles deflate. Not an issue if you are secure in your life, your home is affordable and you plan on staying put for an extended period - but not all are in this position, some are dangerously leverged and home ownership for them can lead to financial ruin, stess, and misery. Take a look south at the American dream.

We are also entering into a completely different world as far as our relationship with money goes - i for one hope and pray that we can take a leaf out of our parent's books and don't spend what you don't have - simple.
Not all parents were thrifty no more than todays parents of young children. As someone with grandchildren I have been fortunate in watching them progress and prosper.

I bought my first house on a 5% deposit (100 pounds) and had a 90% mortgage at 7%. I unlike many of my peers at the time I chose to buy a house rather than a car and rent council houses.

Yes to buy a house and particularly your first has always been a tough decision. But if you are interested in bringing up a family in a stable lifestyle it's worth that initial sacrifice. Over the 48 years of owning houses both here in Canada and the UK I have never been restricted when it comes to mobility.

I'm glad to say that my eldest grandson bought his first property 2 years ago in downtown Ottawa and as he is a pilot for the UN he is only home for approx 40% of the year and rents out to a friend, which pays the mortgage. For the most part renting is for the poor or those seeking temporary accomodation.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:39 pm

For the most part renting is for the poor or those seeking temporary accomodation.[/QUOTE]

What total hogwash....................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.