Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buying Glasses / Spectacles

Buying Glasses / Spectacles

Old Dec 12th 2008, 4:24 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying Glasses / Spectacles

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's not snobbish to think that people should make some effort at decency even in straitened circumstances, especially when there's no cost involved in staying one step out of the gutter. Go to Costco or Target.
And how are people in straitened circumstances going to find $50 for the Costco membership or the bus/train fare to Buffalo to go to Target? I now know why your eyeglasses cost so much. They are rose-tinted because that's obviously how you see the world. So you think that people who shop in Walmart are in the gutter? Get real. Those in poverty are not below you. I would posit that from this post and many others that they are quite entitled to look down their noses at you. You are beyond redemption.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 4:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
And how are people in straitened circumstances going to find $50 for the Costco membership or the bus/train fare to Buffalo to go to Target? I now know why your eyeglasses cost so much. They are rose-tinted because that's obviously how you see the world. So you think that people who shop in Walmart are in the gutter? Get real. Those in poverty are not below you. I would posit that from this post and many others that they are quite entitled to look down their noses at you. You are beyond redemption.
I don't say that those with whom I share penury are beneath me. I say that people who shop at Walmart are beneath me. I say that people who shop at Walmart are either shockingly ignorant or have the morals of lawyers. I say that people who shop at Walmart deserve their flabby bodies and pasty complexions. I think their willingness to trample the staff literally to death and then to continue snatching the tat made by the bleeding fingers of child labourers makes them repellent, no better than child molestors.

Do you have a Sam's Club card? Do you think poverty justifies any sort of action, is it reasonable for example to sell one's mother or one's children into prostitution because one is poor? I say not, I say that we should struggle to maintain some minimum moral standard even in hard times. I say that shopping at Walmart falls below that minimum standard.

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 12th 2008 at 4:36 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 4:58 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't say that those with whom I share penury are beneath me. I say that people who shop at Walmart are beneath me. I say that people who shop at Walmart are either shockingly ignorant or have the morals of lawyers. I say that people who shop at Walmart deserve their flabby bodies and pasty complexions. I think their willingness to trample the staff literally to death and then to continue snatching the tat made by the bleeding fingers of child labourers makes them repellent, no better than child molestors.

Do you have a Sam's Club card? Do you think poverty justifies any sort of action, is it reasonable for example to sell one's mother or one's children into prostitution because one is poor? I say not, I say that we should struggle to maintain some minimum moral standard even in hard times. I say that shopping at Walmart falls below that minimum standard.
Well you just insulted hundreds of millions of people in the world including many who frequent this website. And you believe that Costco and Target don't sell tat made in third world countries by child labour? You are living in a dream world and have no understanding, whatsoever, of poverty. Everyone is aware of the terrible conditions existing in many Asian countries and nobody of moral character could but condemn it. Your priveleged life may allow you to not purchase goods made in Asia but for most people around the world that's not an option. And yes, I do have a Sam's Card and yes, I have shopped in Walmart, so I suppose that makes me beneath you, ignorant &/or immoral, flabby and pasty, willing to trample people to death for tat and a potential child molestor. I'm off to cut my wrists as are, I'm sure, many other members of this website.
I apologise to other readers of this site. The thread has gone much too far away from the original post and that is wrong. I am unsubscribing to this thread.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 5:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

And yes, I do have a Sam's Card and yes, I have shopped in Walmart, so I suppose that makes me beneath you, ignorant &/or immoral, flabby and pasty, willing to trample people to death for tat and a potential child molestor.
Indeed, Pickering's answer to Sir Jimmy Saville. Also a bit humourless, I reckon.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm off to cut my wrists as are, I'm sure, many other members of this website.
DBD I never new you had such power over members of this forum. Do you do Voodoo?
Old Dec 12th 2008, 5:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
£30 at Specsavers for a test and prescription (which work refunded for me). Bang the prescription details into GlassesDirect uk online and I picked up a pair of Bolle's for less than £60 including the lenses. Why pay any more?
I remember in a previous thread that someone did this sort of thing from a US website. Some measurement was needed as well as the prescription. The cost could be as little as $15 with coatings adding another $30.

But a good fit of the frames sounded a bit hit and miss.

I paid £240 in Bristol...ultra thin lenses, anti-glare, anti-scratch...the works.

An Eye exam here for my wife last year was $70. Her complete price was around $500 - roughly similar to mine on the exchange rate then, for all the same treatments. Except her 'thin' was nowhere near as 'thin' as mine. OTOH hers were bifocal and included prescription sunglasses.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I remember in a previous thread that someone did this sort of thing from a US website. Some measurement was needed as well as the prescription. The cost could be as little as $15 with coatings adding another $30.
I try the frames I want out at the opticians. A bit cheeky, but hey. I've never had a problem with this, most frames fit me. I think it helps if you get a decent quality frame. The Bolle's are good. I've tried the cheapy Glasses DIrect frames and they were surprisingly good.

I'd never go back to paying optician's inflated prices.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 8:13 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

I may regret this, but..... this is probably the one time in my life that I will come to dbd33's defence. I think his posting has been taken out context and I understand what he was trying to say. Apart from the Walmart bit. I personally wouldn't shop at Walmart if they were the last store open on principle, but there are millions who choose to because of limited income.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
DBD I never new you had such power over members of this forum. Do you do Voodoo?
He's got the chickens
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think there is much point in comparing costs of glasses because it's never possible to compare like with like. I am very short sighted and wear my glasses all the time. I would never get a prescription from an online site, because if it was even a little off I would get terrible headaches, so for me it would be a false economy. But if you only need them for a little long sight, and wear them as little as possible, then cheap is obviously good.

I buy a new pair of glasses about every three years, and they basically live on my face, except when I have a shower, or am asleep. So they need to be perfect, and nice frames are also not something I would sacrifice. I also have to have the highest thinned lenses, because otherwise my left lens is so thick, my glasses always slip to one side. In the UK I could quite easily spend £500. I hope I will be able to get my Nikon lenses here, otherwise I will have to plan an optician visit when I visit home. Glasses are a high expenditure in our household, as my husband also has a complicated prescription, and my son needs new lenses every six months or so.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I never have but I think I might give it a go now.

Abracadabra!

Damn, my drink's disappeared.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by startwin
I may regret this, but..... this is probably the one time in my life that I will come to dbd33's defence. I think his posting has been taken out context and I understand what he was trying to say. Apart from the Walmart bit. I personally wouldn't shop at Walmart if they were the last store open on principle, but there are millions who choose to because of limited income.
Thank you. I confess to getting carried away with the Walmart thing, I was hoping brianscottie would improve on calling me "a pimple on the arse of society" or whatever that gem was.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I never have but I think I might give it a go now.

Abracadabra!

Damn, my drink's disappeared.
Good grief, so has mine. That's powerful voodoo chicken shit you have there.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Good God, man! Next you'll be telling us the rims are metric!!
Old Dec 13th 2008, 12:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Good God, man! Next you'll be telling us the rims are metric!!
Curious that, Swedish tyres on German rims, sold in Canada; fifteen inch rims. I nearly had Italian alloys for the same price but they only had sixteen inch ones. Volkswagens, it seems, come with some bits in metric and some not.

After the service the lady there looked at the mechanic's notes which said "1/8 left", turning to me she said, you've 3mm on your pads, we'll get them next time. Kind of her to translate. Misguided, but kind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.