British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Buying a Couch...Leon's or Brick (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/buying-couch-leons-brick-572542/)

Leech316 Nov 11th 2008 8:55 am

Buying a Couch...Leon's or Brick

hey guys

I've been wanting to get a couch for a while now and recently came across these 2 couches and i think i definitely want to buy one of them but cant decide which! (Loveseat for my room)

one is from the brick
http://www.thebrick.com/Application/...tCode=EASTON-S

and the other one is from leon's
http://www.leons.ca/shared/product/p...dItemId=145033

I have no experience in buying furniture, especially leather furniture

The dilemma i'm faced with is the one from brick (can get it for $400 rather than $979) will fit in my room perfect but i've read that bicast leather is not the greatest... and the one from leon's (available for $500 rather than $1700) is just a bit big for my room

what should i go with? will there be a big quality difference between the two because one is bicast and the other is top grain?

please let me know if you have any advise or comment!

I appreciate any help :)

thanks a lot!

fledermaus Nov 11th 2008 11:12 am

Re: Buying a Couch...Leon's or Brick

Originally Posted by Leech316 (Post 6963414)
hey guys

I've been wanting to get a couch for a while now and recently came across these 2 couches and i think i definitely want to buy one of them but cant decide which! (Loveseat for my room)

one is from the brick
http://www.thebrick.com/Application/...tCode=EASTON-S

and the other one is from leon's
http://www.leons.ca/shared/product/p...dItemId=145033

I have no experience in buying furniture, especially leather furniture

The dilemma i'm faced with is the one from brick (can get it for $400 rather than $979) will fit in my room perfect but i've read that bicast leather is not the greatest... and the one from leon's (available for $500 rather than $1700) is just a bit big for my room

what should i go with? will there be a big quality difference between the two because one is bicast and the other is top grain?

please let me know if you have any advise or comment!

I appreciate any help :)

thanks a lot!

Our tastes are different!
The one from the Brick looks cheap, thin "leather" that will split easily. Bicast isnt really leather.

The link to Leons didnt work but I think you mean the Memphis couch which looks classier.

Have you looked in local shops? They often have good value and better quality.

kb33 Nov 11th 2008 11:18 am

Heard lots of bad reports about both, Personally I would steer clear of the Brick (I hate the place )

If you like nice furniture you have come to the wrong country I'm afraid :)

If I had to recommend one company it would be this one

http://www.la-z-boy.com/default.aspx...20081112001636

rwin Nov 11th 2008 11:32 am

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 6963818)

Arrrrrrgh. All people do is complain about this place :curse::curse::curse:

Okay thats not all they do but it's what stands out.

moondevil Nov 11th 2008 11:37 am

Originally Posted by rwin (Post 6963844)

I have bought a fab sofa set from the brick, ok they have messed up abit, but they are being ok at the moment, so i should have the right set within the next few weeks

for the quality, i am happy with the set and $1k for a 3 seater, love seat and ottoman, total bargain
but then we got a deal ;)

if you are after the real leather it will cost you, but i think leather and cold weather ahhhhhhhh
we have gone for mirco fibre and wow its comfy

:wub:

kb33 Nov 11th 2008 11:42 am

Originally Posted by moondevil (Post 6963859)
I have bought a fab sofa set from the brick, ok they have messed up abit, but they are being ok at the moment, so i should have the right set within the next few weeks

for the quality, i am happy with the set and $1k for a 3 seater, love seat and ottoman, total bargain
but then we got a deal ;)

:wub:

See what you think in 12 months ;)

Lets face it most of the furniture belongs in some Victorian Gothic Mansion

moondevil Nov 11th 2008 11:48 am

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 6963872)
See what you think in 12 months ;)

Lets face it most of the furniture belongs in some Victorian Gothic Mansion

so glad we all dont look at things the same ;)
i know others that have bought in the brick, they have had there sofas over 12mths and they look fab :thumbsup:

Depends on who is sitting on them and how you treat them :rofl:
As far as design, ours defo dont look like they should be in a gothic mansion, but then we searched long and hard for the right sofa :p

kb33 Nov 11th 2008 11:48 am

Originally Posted by rwin (Post 6963844)

One of first piece's of advice when we got here was "STEER CLEAR OF THE BRICK " And that was from a Canadian, Its the DFS of Canada :rofl:

dbd33 Nov 11th 2008 11:52 am

I can't imagine that you can get a reasonable leather couch for those prices. My ex has a Bauhaus sofa and love seat pair that we bought about twenty years ago, they've had three children, one autistic, bouncing on them repeatedly (anyone with experience of autism will know that a child with the condition tests furniture to the limit). They're still presentable and structurally sound but they cost about seven grand even back then. I would think a two thousand dollar leather sofa now would have a fifty/fifty chance of lasting a year.

Alberta_Rose Nov 11th 2008 11:52 am

We also liked La-Z-boy better than either the Brick or Leons. Also check on the delivery times .... both of these can be months. There are also many posts on here where they didn't deliver in the time stated, came on the wrong day, brought the wrong stuff, delivered incomplete orders, damaged goods or damaged the house trying to get it in.

Sorry rwin, I am not being anti-Canadian, but many folks have had bad experiences with these two particular companies...... if I had to choose one above the other, maybe Leons would win. I haven't looked at the couches in question btw, just commenting on the companies.

JonboyE Nov 11th 2008 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 6963818)
Heard lots of bad reports about both, Personally I would steer clear of the Brick (I hate the place )

You get what you pay for, that is all. I don't think we get Leons out west, but the furniture I have seen in the Brick is generally cheap tat.

There is plenty of very good furniture available, but if you want quality it costs.

dbd33 Nov 11th 2008 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 6963921)
You get what you pay for, that is all. I don't think we get Leons out west, but the furniture I have seen in the Brick is generally cheap tat.

Leon's historically competed with the Brick but launched an upmarket range a few years ago; they have a boutique arrangement in their stores with the better stuff. They've always run cheesy adverts but, for the new range, had rather a witty series featuring people in flash neighbourhoods rushing out to cover the delivery vans so as to hide the Leon's name.

kb33 Nov 11th 2008 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 6963921)
There is plenty of very good furniture available, but if you want quality it costs.

Well I would love to know where you do your furniture shopping, Because we have been looking for a nice well made dining room table with 4 chairs for about 15 months now ...

Please dont say Ikea :)

rwin Nov 11th 2008 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 6963889)
One of first piece's of advice when we got here was "STEER CLEAR OF THE BRICK " And that was from a Canadian, Its the DFS of Canada :rofl:

I agree with you on the Brick. And Leons is pretty much the same place.

dawnzocalgary Nov 11th 2008 12:33 pm

I got a super nice Natuzzi leather sectional from Sears, and it's fab, although expensive.

I actually just bought a cheap leather sofa from Leons and delivery was the same week, i bought this one because i have a dog from hell who thinks hes a cannon ball and i know it will be scratched up before long - so i had reasons for buying cheap, i certainly dont think it wil last for 20 years but will work for the purpose it is intended for just now.

The brick, i did get a leather sofa here too - in the boxing day sales a few years ago and i had to wait until the Feb for delivery! so i didnt have the greatest experience!

I hear some of you ask - why the hell does she require so many sofas :eek::rofl::eek: