Reload this Page >

Buying a car in BC

Buying a car in BC

Old Mar 16th 2014, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

lookingtogo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car in BC

Hi,

Moving to BC shortly and thinking we will need some wheels. My partner and I love to go on weekend trips (weekly) to the mountains. Camping, skiing, climbing etc.

Do you guys think it's worth buying a new set of wheels? Or are second hand ones reliable enough. OH says that we would need an All Wheel Drive.

Anyone have a VW for example or know other reliable cars?

Criteria is safe, reliable, economical, fuel efficient, good for Canadian West Coast long drives.

Thanks.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 9:12 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in BC

Originally Posted by lookingtogo

Do you guys think it's worth buying a new set of wheels? Or are second hand ones reliable enough. OH says that we would need an All Wheel Drive.
Only you can decide if new is a better choice then second hand. Something a couple of years old with decent service records shouldn't be problematic, should it?

AWD isn't a necessity for most people. If you're regularly off the beaten track and paved roads then it's a sensible option. Everyday driving, unnecessary.

Anyone have a VW for example or know other reliable cars?
I owned a Golf GTI for a while. It was reliable and a perfectly good car. Choose something that suits your needs, most modern cars aren't really problematic. You need to set a budget and go from there. Find the best value you can find that fits your criteria.

I've had Fords, Mercedes, VW, Mazda, Subarus, and GM vehicles here. Only the VW was completely faultless, the others had niggles and/or major problems, but I'd look at products from them all again if they had something suited to my needs. Mechanical issues happen from time to time, that's what warranties are for.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

lookingtogo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Rich, very helpful.
We might go for the AWD as we do off paved roads a bit

In Canada, can you just get a second hand off the internet, and ask for service records? Presumably this should be better than dealer costs.

We will do the rounds then when we get there, and some more internet research before hand.

Cheers.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 9:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Surprisingly few people keep service records. If buying second hand get the vehicle inspected. BCAA will do a thorough inspection for less than $150.

People keep cars a lot longer here than they do in the UK so second hand prices of relatively new vehicles are higher than you are used to. Also, you still have to pay 12% tax, sorry ... vehicle levy .... on used vehicles. A dealer will collect the tax. In a private sale you pay it to the insurance broker when you register and insure the vehicle. Prices quoted new or used are always before tax.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 9:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Rich, very helpful.
We might go for the AWD as we do off paved roads a bit

In Canada, can you just get a second hand off the internet, and ask for service records? Presumably this should be better than dealer costs.

We will do the rounds then when we get there, and some more internet research before hand.

Cheers.
Buying used is 'buyer beware' Personally I would (and do) only buy from a franchised dealer, at least there is some recourse. The price you pay, private or from a dealer is plus 12% sales tax. Servicing here is very different to what you come to expect from Europe. For the post part it is an oil change only and essential repairs.

Watch out for insurance write offs (lots of Katrina write offs coming to Canada). Get a Car Proof report.

If you are going to the mountains a 4 x 4 is preferable and snow tires are required on many mountain roads.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 11:57 pm
Banned

Dulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to behold

If you want to know about buying a car in Canada, asking in an Expat forum where those responding are generally going to have opinions based on their limited experience of buying cars in Canada, is not where I would ask. The question after all has nothing to do with being an Expat.

I would suggest you Google some Canadian car forums and ask there where you will find your typical car nut experts just like any other kind of forum experts on any topic. Something like this one for example: http://www.autos.ca/forum/

If you wanted to know about changing your UK driving license that would be an appropriate Expat forum topic. But for how to buy, what to look out for and what to buy, there are better forums to ask on.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:18 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dulciusexasperis
If you want to know about buying a car in Canada, asking in an Expat forum where those responding are generally going to have opinions based on their limited experience of buying cars in Canada, is not where I would ask. The question after all has nothing to do with being an Expat.

I would suggest you Google some Canadian car forums and ask there where you will find your typical car nut experts just like any other kind of forum experts on any topic. Something like this one for example: http://www.autos.ca/forum/

If you wanted to know about changing your UK driving license that would be an appropriate Expat forum topic. But for how to buy, what to look out for and what to buy, there are better forums to ask on.
Many expats here have been in Canada for decades. They're able to compare the buying process between the UK and Canada, which is potentially useful.

I, for example, have purchased outright, leased and financed over 10 vehicles in BC. Why is my experience less valuable or relevant than a Canadian? Is that experience too limited?
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:52 am
Banned

Dulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to behold

Nothing that compares buying in the UK to buying in Canada is 'potentially useful'. He isn't comparing buying a car in the UK to buying in Canada, he is ONLY talking about buying in Canada. Therefore anything that relates to the UK is meaningless and a waste of time.

Yes, your experience is too limited. I have bought and sold cars in Canada for 5 decades and lost track of how many of them. Yet here I am suggesting go ask those who spend as much time talking about cars as those who post here do about Expat issues.

If I with my experience planned to buy a car I would do what I have suggested the OP do. Go on some car forums and ask any questions I had. On a CANADIAN car forum. I would not ask some expats, regardless of how long they have been in Canada. Being expats adds nothing to what advice they might give me. Having more limited experience does detract from what they can tell me though.

It's a simple thing to me. If you want advice on buying a car, go to where the people who are 'into' buying and selling cars hang out.

When I want to know what people consider the best all-terrain tires are to put on my vehicle, I don't ask on an Expat forum. I go to a tire forum.

Last edited by Dulciusexasperis; Mar 17th 2014 at 12:55 am.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:06 am
Pea Brain

Nothing that compares buying in the UK to buying in Canada is 'potentially useful'. He isn't comparing buying a car in the UK to buying in Canada, he is ONLY talking about buying in Canada. Therefore anything that relates to the UK is meaningless and a waste of time.
In understanding the differences, and the misconceptions a new immigrant might have, of course it's useful. They only have one point of reference, so describing the differences is a good starting point. Don't be so dismissive of a process and experience you haven't had. It's arrogant and belittling.

Yes, your experience is too limited. I have bought and sold cars in Canada for 5 decades and lost track of how many of them. Yet here I am suggesting go ask those who spend as much time talking about cars as those who post here do about Expat issues.
Oooh. You've purchased more cars than me in Canada. I guess your Dad is bigger than mine too How does buying a car 50 years ago have relevance to more recently?

If I with my experience planned to buy a car I would do what I have suggested the OP do. Go on some car forums and ask any questions I had. On a CANADIAN car forum. I would not ask some expats, regardless of how long they have been in Canada.
Does asking here preclude that? Your sanctimonious attitude towards expats who may have spent the balance of their life in this country doesn't show you in a good light.

Being expats adds nothing to what advice they might give me. Having more limited experience does detract from what they can tell me though.
Decades of buying experience is too limited? Who do you think hangs out in car forums? Only those with 50 years experience? You're just as likely to get 20 somethings posting.

It's a simple thing to me. If you want advice on buying a car go to where the people who are 'into' buying and selling cars hang out.
Eh? Expats aren't 'into' buying and selling cars? They have nothing of value to contribute just because they weren't born here? How do you know expats aren't frequenting car forums? Do you have a vetting process to weed them out first?

This is an immigrant country - apparently the majority of us aren't worthy of providing anecdotal or first hand experience after decades here.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:28 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

If I with my experience planned to buy a car I would do what I have suggested the OP do. Go on some car forums and ask any questions I had. On a CANADIAN car forum. I would not ask some expats, regardless of how long they have been in Canada. Being expats adds nothing to what advice they might give me. Having more limited experience does detract from what they can tell me though.

It's a simple thing to me. If you want advice on buying a car, go to where the people who are 'into' buying and selling cars hang out.

When I want to know what people consider the best all-terrain tires are to put on my vehicle, I don't ask on an Expat forum. I go to a tire forum.
El Dulci at his best!! You really are a keeper!!
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:29 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
El Dulci at his best!! You really are a keeper!!
A joke surely?
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:32 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
A joke surely?
Not sure I'd go so far as to describe him as a joke. OK I would!
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:48 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Not sure I'd go so far as to describe him as a joke. OK I would!
Old Mar 17th 2014, 2:45 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
In understanding the differences, and the misconceptions a new immigrant might have, of course it's useful. They only have one point of reference, so describing the differences is a good starting point. Don't be so dismissive of a process and experience you haven't had. It's arrogant and belittling.

Oooh. You've purchased more cars than me in Canada. I guess your Dad is bigger than mine too How does buying a car 50 years ago have relevance to more recently?

Does asking here preclude that? Your sanctimonious attitude towards expats who may have spent the balance of their life in this country doesn't show you in a good light.

Decades of buying experience is too limited? Who do you think hangs out in car forums? Only those with 50 years experience? You're just as likely to get 20 somethings posting.

Eh? Expats aren't 'into' buying and selling cars? They have nothing of value to contribute just because they weren't born here? How do you know expats aren't frequenting car forums? Do you have a vetting process to weed them out first?

This is an immigrant country - apparently the majority of us aren't worthy of providing anecdotal or first hand experience after decades here.
I agree with everything here. So Dulci, Maybe the op, is asking on this site as they feel more confident of the replies, maybe they feel they will get a balanced view, maybe they want the experience of what others have gone through and learned. We ourselves have owned more cars in Canada than most have in their lifetimes, does that make us experts? No, does it make us experienced? yes, does it make our opinions mean less than mr canadian on random car forum that may have only owned one car ever, but he reads everything about cars? Erm, no.

A question has been asked, pointers and opinions and experience are given, thats what this is all about.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:08 am
Just Joined

yogiBC is an unknown quantity at this point

well if i was you i would buy a used car from a reputable dealer...if you wish to pay cash they will do a good discount...
the reason behind buying a used car is ,,,,,you may not settle once you arrive or you may find problems finding work ,,,,
you should save as much as your cash as possible untill your settled.
with been here for 4 years and owning a used car and a new one ,,,,i certainly know the ups and downs of moving countries..hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.