Reload this Page >

Buying a Canadian Sim before I travel

Buying a Canadian Sim before I travel

Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

TorontoBartender is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a Canadian Sim before I travel

Hey people.

I wonder if anyone knows where to buy a canadian (doesn't matter what network) pay as you go sim card before I travel? I am in the UK until I leave on the 18th of April - I really do not want to take my sim card with me as in the past I have accumulated large phone bills because of this.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:33 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a Canadian Sim before I travel

Plenty of New ROGERS SIM CARD for Pay as you go / Prepaid + Free Shipping on EBay. Ship world wide
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

TorontoBartender is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by magnumpi
New ROGERS SIM CARD for Pay as you go / Prepaid + Free Shipping
Where can I buy this from? From Rogers website? Thanks

Edit : Thanks just found the link

Last edited by TorontoBartender; Mar 15th 2013 at 3:37 am. Reason: Problem Solved
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:49 pm
Happy in Alberta

sms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TorontoBartender
Hey people.

I wonder if anyone knows where to buy a canadian (doesn't matter what network) pay as you go sim card before I travel? I am in the UK until I leave on the 18th of April - I really do not want to take my sim card with me as in the past I have accumulated large phone bills because of this.

Thanks
Is your phone unlocked? I arrived last week and tried a Rogers sim in my iphone 4 and it wont work because I'm network locked. I have had to email vodafone and hope they will unlock it for me otherwise it's the cost of a brand new phone over here
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:51 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sms1984
Is your phone unlocked? I arrived last week and tried a Rogers sim in my iphone 4 and it wont work because I'm network locked. I have had to email vodafone and hope they will unlock it for me otherwise it's the cost of a brand new phone over here
Can it not be unlocked locally for a nominal fee at one of those kiosks at the mall (or elsewhere)
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:54 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TorontoBartender
Hey people.

Thanks
Why not just take it out and replace it with a cheap 7-11 speakout one once you arrive?
http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepai...akout-sim-card
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:17 pm
Happy in Alberta

sms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
Can it not be unlocked locally for a nominal fee at one of those kiosks at the mall (or elsewhere)
iphones can only be unlocked properly via apple so I'm just going to wait for that! Depends what kind of phone your putting your sim in though??
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:22 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Why not just take it out and replace it with a cheap 7-11 speakout one once you arrive?
http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepai...akout-sim-card
We (Me & OH) are using 7-11 speakout in our unlocked iPhones. Doddle to setup and good coverage in our area.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:16 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever did we do before cell phones, how ever did we survive.?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sms1984
iphones can only be unlocked properly via apple so I'm just going to wait for that! Depends what kind of phone your putting your sim in though??
your network service provider should be able to supply you with the details to unlock a phone from a network - I think it cost me about 20 pounds for the details. it took a while to come through though.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Jennika is an unknown quantity at this point

Be wary of the people who offer to unlock iphones - I think it can only be done by the network and they were gonna charge me $90-$100 when my service provider did it for free!
Old Mar 15th 2013, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jennika
Be wary of the people who offer to unlock iphones - I think it can only be done by the network and they were gonna charge me $90-$100 when my service provider did it for free!
The only true Iphone unlock is via the network and I think that its ultimately done by Apple, I know O2 for example offer this for free (I think the phone has to be out of contract before they`ll do it though)

Any other method would probably be via a jailbreak or a "Gevey Sim" which will work fine....... until you update the IOS and then you`re back to square one

HTH
Old Mar 15th 2013, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

Before buying any SIM card make sure to check up on the frequencies of your phone and the network the SIM is for.

Different phones can use different frequencies and the cell networks (e.g. Rogers) will only use one, which may or may not be compatible with your phone.

I found this out because I brought over four different phones and had a jolly old time finding what phone would work on what network. Activating SIMs can be a real pain as well.

Also the unlocking thing as mentioned above. If your can connect your phone directly to a computer you might be able to unlock it yourself with a program you download.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanielM
Before buying any SIM card make sure to check up on the frequencies of your phone and the network the SIM is for.

Different phones can use different frequencies and the cell networks (e.g. Rogers) will only use one, which may or may not be compatible with your phone.

I found this out because I brought over four different phones and had a jolly old time finding what phone would work on what network.
Activating SIMs can be a real pain as well.

Also the unlocking thing as mentioned above. If your can connect your phone directly to a computer you might be able to unlock it yourself with a program you download.
Are you referring to GSM bands? I believe Iphones are quad band and should work anywhere so are a relatively safe bet
Old Mar 16th 2013, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

Yep GSM bands.

It's best not to make assumptions, check the make and specific model of your phone and the Canadian networks.
The last time i posted about this I checked the bands that the Iphone uses and an earlier model of the phone didn't work on one network, but a later version of the IPhone did.

For older phones at least, it's a real crapshoot what will work, there didn't seem to be any pattern with makes of phones or product lines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.