British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Buying a Canadian Sim before I travel (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/buying-canadian-sim-before-i-travel-790578/)

TorontoBartender Mar 15th 2013 3:20 am

Buying a Canadian Sim before I travel

Hey people.

I wonder if anyone knows where to buy a canadian (doesn't matter what network) pay as you go sim card before I travel? I am in the UK until I leave on the 18th of April - I really do not want to take my sim card with me as in the past I have accumulated large phone bills because of this.

Any advice would be appreciated

magnumpi Mar 15th 2013 3:33 am

Re: Buying a Canadian Sim before I travel

Plenty of New ROGERS SIM CARD for Pay as you go / Prepaid + Free Shipping on EBay. Ship world wide

TorontoBartender Mar 15th 2013 3:34 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 10604827)
New ROGERS SIM CARD for Pay as you go / Prepaid + Free Shipping

Where can I buy this from? From Rogers website? Thanks :)

Edit : Thanks just found the link :)

sms1984 Mar 15th 2013 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by TorontoBartender (Post 10604818)
Hey people.

I wonder if anyone knows where to buy a canadian (doesn't matter what network) pay as you go sim card before I travel? I am in the UK until I leave on the 18th of April - I really do not want to take my sim card with me as in the past I have accumulated large phone bills because of this.

Is your phone unlocked? I arrived last week and tried a Rogers sim in my iphone 4 and it wont work because I'm network locked. I have had to email vodafone and hope they will unlock it for me otherwise it's the cost of a brand new phone over here :(

iaink Mar 15th 2013 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by sms1984 (Post 10605748)
Is your phone unlocked? I arrived last week and tried a Rogers sim in my iphone 4 and it wont work because I'm network locked. I have had to email vodafone and hope they will unlock it for me otherwise it's the cost of a brand new phone over here :(

Can it not be unlocked locally for a nominal fee at one of those kiosks at the mall (or elsewhere)

iaink Mar 15th 2013 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by TorontoBartender (Post 10604818)
Hey people.

Why not just take it out and replace it with a cheap 7-11 speakout one once you arrive?
http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepai...akout-sim-card

sms1984 Mar 15th 2013 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10605753)
Can it not be unlocked locally for a nominal fee at one of those kiosks at the mall (or elsewhere)

iphones can only be unlocked properly via apple so I'm just going to wait for that! Depends what kind of phone your putting your sim in though??

james.mc Mar 15th 2013 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10605760)
Why not just take it out and replace it with a cheap 7-11 speakout one once you arrive?
http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepai...akout-sim-card

We (Me & OH) are using 7-11 speakout in our unlocked iPhones. Doddle to setup and good coverage in our area.

magnumpi Mar 15th 2013 6:16 pm

Whatever did we do before cell phones, how ever did we survive.?

jaminsk1 Mar 15th 2013 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by sms1984 (Post 10605804)
iphones can only be unlocked properly via apple so I'm just going to wait for that! Depends what kind of phone your putting your sim in though??

your network service provider should be able to supply you with the details to unlock a phone from a network - I think it cost me about 20 pounds for the details. it took a while to come through though.

Jennika Mar 15th 2013 8:43 pm

Be wary of the people who offer to unlock iphones - I think it can only be done by the network and they were gonna charge me $90-$100 when my service provider did it for free!

energysolutions Mar 15th 2013 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jennika (Post 10606180)
Be wary of the people who offer to unlock iphones - I think it can only be done by the network and they were gonna charge me $90-$100 when my service provider did it for free!

The only true Iphone unlock is via the network and I think that its ultimately done by Apple, I know O2 for example offer this for free (I think the phone has to be out of contract before they`ll do it though)

Any other method would probably be via a jailbreak or a "Gevey Sim" which will work fine....... until you update the IOS and then you`re back to square one

HTH

DanielM Mar 15th 2013 10:58 pm

Before buying any SIM card make sure to check up on the frequencies of your phone and the network the SIM is for.

Different phones can use different frequencies and the cell networks (e.g. Rogers) will only use one, which may or may not be compatible with your phone.

I found this out because I brought over four different phones and had a jolly old time finding what phone would work on what network. Activating SIMs can be a real pain as well.

Also the unlocking thing as mentioned above. If your can connect your phone directly to a computer you might be able to unlock it yourself with a program you download.

energysolutions Mar 15th 2013 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by DanielM (Post 10606411)
Before buying any SIM card make sure to check up on the frequencies of your phone and the network the SIM is for.

Different phones can use different frequencies and the cell networks (e.g. Rogers) will only use one, which may or may not be compatible with your phone.

I found this out because I brought over four different phones and had a jolly old time finding what phone would work on what network.
Activating SIMs can be a real pain as well.

Also the unlocking thing as mentioned above. If your can connect your phone directly to a computer you might be able to unlock it yourself with a program you download.

Are you referring to GSM bands? I believe Iphones are quad band and should work anywhere so are a relatively safe bet

DanielM Mar 16th 2013 12:05 am

Yep GSM bands.

It's best not to make assumptions, check the make and specific model of your phone and the Canadian networks.
The last time i posted about this I checked the bands that the Iphone uses and an earlier model of the phone didn't work on one network, but a later version of the IPhone did.

For older phones at least, it's a real crapshoot what will work, there didn't seem to be any pattern with makes of phones or product lines.