Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buying a business

Buying a business

Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Paradox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a business

If I was to buy an existing business in Canada where it has been for sale for some time, would I be entitled to any sort of residency status on the basis of the investment in the business etc.?
There is a business for sale that I am interested in but I am British and have no status in Canada at all.
Also, if I was to only put in part of the capital of the business, would there be any provision for borrowing the rest. My guess on that bit would be no!

Thanks for any advice
P
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a business

Originally Posted by Paradox
If I was to buy an existing business in Canada where it has been for sale for some time, would I be entitled to any sort of residency status on the basis of the investment in the business etc.?
There is a business for sale that I am interested in but I am British and have no status in Canada at all.
Also, if I was to only put in part of the capital of the business, would there be any provision for borrowing the rest. My guess on that bit would be no!

Thanks for any advice
P
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ness/index.asp

Probably borrowing money would be easier than gaining residency. There are no extra points or an expedited process for business owners, AFAIK.

Have a look at RICH's posts by searching the Members list and see how he did it but it's not easy.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Thank you I will have a look at those
Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:15 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any advice
P
Yes, you're entitled to buy or start a business. I secured a 3yr WP in order to do just that.

The investment itself isn't enough to justify any sort of residency status. You'll need to provide a detailed business plan, and illustrate how you're going to be delivering "substantial benefit" to the local economy (creating employment other than for yourself, for example).

I put in approx 65% of my own capital and got a commercial mortgage for the rest without a problem.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, that's really helpful
Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:06 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any advice
P
Which province? Some Provinces have Nominee Programs that you could apply under if you buy and operate a business (you are not allowed to be a passive investor you have to actually run it). And that would get you permanent residency rather than just a work permit.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 6:31 am
Just Joined

I was looking at a very small business in Nova Scotia.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:12 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at a very small business in Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia used to have an "Entreprenuer Stream" within its PNP program. Unfortunately this got canned and the replacement hasnt been launched yet. It could be soon though. In the meantime, NS has been unofficially allowing would-be entreprenuers to go through the Community Identified stream, using a business plan and planned investment as eveidence of bringing a significant benefit to a particular community. Given this is really a process of forcing a square peg into a round hole the case needs to be prepared carefully in my opinion.

There are also some strategies that can be used to achieve a work permit in the meantime whilst the PR application is going through (as RICH did).