Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buying alcohol at UK airport to take to Vancouver when we land?

Buying alcohol at UK airport to take to Vancouver when we land?

Old Jul 19th 2013, 2:37 pm
PR living in Vancouver

jobop will become famous soon enoughjobop will become famous soon enough
Default Buying alcohol at UK airport to take to Vancouver when we land?

Just wanted to check that we are allowed to buy alcohol from a UK airport to take to Vancouver when we land?

Just fancied a drink when we arrive at our temporary holiday home rental to celebrate our arrival.

I found this online http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...82-eng.html#s5 but it says in bold for visitors and temporary residents so I was unsure if it applied to us as we will be landing to activate our PR?

I might be asking a stupid question, but I did not want to buy alcohol in the UK and then have it confiscated the other end

Plus thought it would be easier than hunting down a liquor store as arriving in the evening and will be tired from the journey.

Old Jul 19th 2013, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying alcohol at UK airport to take to Vancouver when we land?

Originally Posted by jobop
Just wanted to check that we are allowed to buy alcohol from a UK airport to take to Vancouver when we land?

Just fancied a drink when we arrive at our temporary holiday home rental to celebrate our arrival.

I found this online http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...82-eng.html#s5 but it says in bold for visitors and temporary residents so I was unsure if it applied to us as we will be landing to activate our PR?

I might be asking a stupid question, but I did not want to buy alcohol in the UK and then have it confiscated the other end

Plus thought it would be easier than hunting down a liquor store as arriving in the evening and will be tired from the journey.

Yes you can bring in 1.14 litres of spirits OR I again say OR 1.5 litres of wine per person of legal age.
It can be hand carried on the international flight but if connecting within Canada then it needs to be put into your checked bags.
So in other words YES you can get pissed on your favourite plonk on your 1st night in Canada. Be warned the mix on sale at airport stores is expensive.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 3:17 pm
PR living in Vancouver

jobop will become famous soon enoughjobop will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Buying alcohol at UK airport to take to Vancouver when we land?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes you can bring in 1.14 litres of spirits OR I again say OR 1.5 litres of wine per person of legal age.
It can be hand carried on the international flight but if connecting within Canada then it needs to be put into your checked bags.
So in other words YES you can get pissed on your favourite plonk on your 1st night in Canada. Be warned the mix on sale at airport stores is expensive.
Thanks for confirming