Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buy new or ship old ?

Buy new or ship old ?

Old May 13th 2006, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buy new or ship old ?

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Canada Bob
Since you ask I paid out of my own pocket, see the link below...

http://archive.boltoneveningnews.co..../4/465645.html

Add to that the medications that I take are imported at my cost from the US as they aren't available in the UK yet, the main reason is that NICE hasn't approved them yet, so folks like me in the UK suffering from Cancer don't get these potentially life saving drugs, a bit like women having to fight to get herceptin.

Can't see how I could be could be considered a free loader, the fact is that in the 23 years or so that we were in Canada we continued to pay our stamps, several hundred quid a year, for 20 odd years, you tell me if that's freeloading ?

Look at it this way, I presently have 43 years of contributions on my card, and in those 43 years I've never previously been in hospital but I did have 2 weeks off work in 1977, I got £28 in sick pay then, and I've had nowt since.

Add to that I declined sick notes from my Dr over here, since we've been back, and haven't had one penny of any State Benefits in the 2 years we've been back, yet I'm still paying my stamps/contributions every month.

The reason we came back was I was expected to die, it seemed that no one could offer me much hope, on either side of the ocean. I even brought my medications with me, and still continue to import them from the U.S.

I was brought up in Wigan {a left wing Town}, where although we didn't have much, we don't look to scrounge off anyone else or expect to be carried through life at someone else's expense. I have lived and worked by my respect for Social Responsibility, and I do object to folks who abuse the system, maybe you see things differently.

Canada Bob.
Thanks for the reply Bob, you have answered my question. I'm not sure how you extrapolate that i agree with "folks abusing the system" from my post, if anything it would be the opposite. After asking I now know more about your situation, as you said in your post a good many of the people deserve assistance but commenting on freeloaders and immediate allocations of houses for immigrants doesnt help those that do.

I wish you well with your health.

Well said Bob.
The previous post was well out of order.
I'm glad you're doing ok. It sounds like you've had it pretty rough.
My parents live in Cowyead City. Probably walked past you on Market St. Where exactly are you?
Drew
why was it out of order to ask a question to find out more?

Last edited by daft batty; May 13th 2006 at 9:45 pm.
Old May 13th 2006, 10:47 pm
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

[QUOTE=batty-x-ray]

Thanks for the reply Bob, you have answered my question. I'm not sure how you extrapolate that i agree with "folks abusing the system" from my post, if anything it would be the opposite. After asking I now know more about your situation, as you said in your post a good many of the people deserve assistance but commenting on freeloaders and immediate allocations of houses for immigrants doesnt help those that do.

I dont have a problem with your question but your sarcastic inference that Bob may be a freeloader was unecessary.
Old May 14th 2006, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Canada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=batty-x-ray]
I guess that your comment was more than a question Batty, it was an inference that I was taking advantage of the NHS, by seeking treatment in the UK.

The fact is I'd have the same treatment options in Canada, at no cost due to my contributions over there, so there'd be no point in heading back to the UK for "free" treatment, especially given my diagnosis of having 6 months to live, that would be a death sentence over here. Folks can spend more time than that on a waiting list, and unfortunately they do, some of them die before they get to see anyone, having worked for the NHS over here I'm sure your aware of that.

It stung a bit Batty reading your comment, the reason it was out of order is the inference made, before you "bothered to find out more".

I didn't just fight my corner for better treatment options for men with prostate cancer {the 2nd biggest killer of men in the UK and Canada, second only to heart attacks & strokes}, but I fought like hell so that men who couldn't afford these new treatments would be offered them by the NHS.

I don't believe in a two tier health care system, treatment options shouldn't be down to "can you afford it" and if you can't then it's "any prize off the bottom shelf" !

I'm not one for giving abuse nor am I one for accepting it Batty, when I came back to the UK to find that men were being discriminated against in cancer treatment options I near went ballistic. No man is more important than another, they should all be given the best treatment possible without thought as to what it costs the NHS.

People talk about the NHS being "free" forgetting that most folks have contributed for many years if not almost a lifetime for men who find they have prostate cancer. Many have never even been in hospital before, yet the first time they need treatment they find the options presented to them are based on cost, not effectiveness.

Seeing this going on over here I wonder where the money has gone that we aren't able to provide the best possible health care in the UK. Then I reflect on the stories in the papers of abuse of the "benefits system" in the UK, Billions of £'s a year, so I do have a problem with folks who are fit and able to work yet choose to let the rest of us pay their way. We all suffer when that happens, pensioners don't get what we should be paying them, the NHS sees hospitals closing wards, laying off thousands of nursing staff {right now}.

My comments may seem to be Right Wing, but I'm anything but, if I leaned more to the left I'd fall over, but it pains me to see families with 3 free cars, yea 3 in one family not far from where we live, all of them claiming to be disabled. It's hard for me to believe that the Million cars given away at a cost of £6 Billion a year are all going to the folks who really need or deserve them.

Being "left wing" {not politically, just morally}, I believe in a safety net for folks who fall on hard times, the problem is it's not seen as a safety net now over here by many, it's seen as a hammock for them to laze their days away, and I will always rail against that.

The last figures I saw from the DWP {Dept of Work & Pensions} estimated that in 2004 they paid out over £2 Billion in fraudulent claims. Look at it this way, to cover that cost 400,000 working people have to pay £100 a week in Tax, every week, for a whole year, to simply pay for those who are making fraudulent claims.

No wonder the NHS is in bad shape, hospitals being essentially bankrupt, not just laying staff off, nor simply closing wards down, but closing the whole hospital down in lots of cases.

My mother was a nurse, my wife is an SRN/SCM so I see and hear what's going on in the NHS from inside and out, and it pains me to see it. I guess that's why your comment cut me to the bone, especially as I've just paid £1,700 to have a PET scan done at a the Alexandra Hospital in Chealde, Manchester to find out if the cancer I have is in remission. Try getting a PET scan on the NHS ! but if you're well heeled or well connected then you'll get one in a week...

Far as I'm concerned anyone who could benefit from a PET scan should have one, but that's not how it works. The NHS can't afford to pay for them, the money has gone to the those who cheat the system.

Mind you, I could have gone back to Canada and had the PET scan paid for by MSI in Nova Scotia, but I've more about me than that, as long as I can pay for what I need I will do, but I'll also raise hell as to why folks who don't have the $'s aren't getting the same treatment options.

Canada Bob.

Last edited by Canada Bob; May 14th 2006 at 12:37 am.
Old May 14th 2006, 8:18 am
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

I have read most of this thread and I wish you well Bob and I just have one question.

After spending 20+ years in Canada and I presume many of those in your last place of residence, surely you both had enough good friends there to stay where you enjoyed living ? I would have though after 20+ years away people in your Old Uk area would have changed so much that your true friends would be where you have left behind !
Old May 14th 2006, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

OK guys i think this thread should end now before its desends into a free for all
Many thanks to those who answered
Old May 14th 2006, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
I have read most of this thread and I wish you well Bob and I just have one question.

After spending 20+ years in Canada and I presume many of those in your last place of residence, surely you both had enough good friends there to stay where you enjoyed living ? I would have though after 20+ years away people in your Old Uk area would have changed so much that your true friends would be where you have left behind !
You're right on the above, we certainly do have a lot of friends in Nova Scotia, looking back at the decision that I made it was an emotional one, I can look back now and see that I panicked, being told that I had maybe 6 months to live sort of blew me away, I can see now that I made the wrong decision, but there was a lot going on in my head, much of it beyond my control at the time.

The way I saw it {then} was friends are one thing but family is another, I wanted to think that if I popped my clogs that my wife would have the support of our son, {we have no other family, it's just us}, and that Matthew would also need some support {even though he was 32 then}.

A number of things came into it, Pauline doesn't drive, never has, so I was concerned about how she would get about in Nova Scotia, at least here Matthew can take her where ever she needs to go.

There were a number of things going on in my mind at the time, wanting to be sure that my house was in order if you know what I mean, trying to make sure that it wouldn't all be left for Pauline to sort out.

I can look back now and see that my decisions were based on the emotional turmoil that I was going through, normally I'm good at decision making, spent my whole career {in Engineering QA} in decision making, and I never bowed to stress in that respect, but...

When I was told that people in my condition usually lived around 6 months I hit the panic button. I'm a tough little cookie in many ways, stood my ground against things that have assailed me, but this was VERY different.

I can tell you this, the day we were in the Dr's office being told my probable fate, neither of us spoke on the way home {about a 30 minute drive}, but when we got home I started to cry, and I cried for near 3 weeks.

It's a hell of a thing to try to cope with, right out of the blue all this came, I had no symptoms of PCa, yet when they found it due to a random PSA test, they said it was very advanced and a very aggressive type of cancer, that I'd probably had it for 5 years or so, how weird is that !

When you get something like that dropped in your lap you worry about how your wife will cope without you, we've been married 35 years, and known each other for 40 years, our relationship is as one, not as one plus one.
I know how much a loss it would be for me to lose Pauline, I would be devastated, I wouldn't know which way to turn, and I'm sure the impact on Pauline of losing me would be the same.

Looking back now I know I made the wrong decision, but I did take account of how my son felt too, he wanted to play his part, he wanted to see as much of me in the time they thought I had, everyone had genuine concerns but that doesn't always bring you to the right decision.

It's one of those things you just can't win at, my thoughts were that if I was to get very sick {which I have been with chemo and all that, that starts with your hair falling out, and getting sick as a dog for weeks on end}, I was worried that Pauline would have to cope with all of that alone, and that I would need my son by my side, and him to be there for me.

It's without doubt the worst thing I have ever faced, I struggled to cope with it, and I made a number of wrong decisions. One thing I have learned from going through all this is... An emotional decision is never the best one, we may be angry at someone, or something and that instills in our mind a point of view that may well come back to haunt us, we can come off the rails and really screw things up when something like this has "done our heads in".

The problem with this realisation is, it won't help anyone, I wish it could, but I think that just about all of us "lose it" when faced with the end of our world no matter if that's being told you are going to die sometime soon, or that you've lost your job, or face the breakdown of a relationship.

We're not machines, there are times when we can cope and other times when we just fall appart, I never thought that anything would shake me like these events did, as I say I couldn't do anything for 3 weeks, I was so afraid of dieing and the consequences of it.

Luckily for me I managed to realise that I could cry the rest of my life away, or I could try to get back to the strengths that I have, the ability to research things, the ability to analyse, the hope that I might find something to save my life.

I sat at my computer Google searching for information about prostate cancer, to know as much as I could about it. Thank God for Google, it gave me hope, but it also stressed me out.

I would spend all day, every day, and late into the night searching for what the latest treatment options were. I'd sit up searching Google until 2am, then I'd go to bed and lay awake thinking maybe if I'd just done one more page I might have found something that might save me, so I'd get up again {I just couldn't sleep}, and I'd do another 2 or 3 hours searching on and on, until I was physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted.

One thing I learned from all this is I could always relate to physicall exhaustion {I've done a couple of marathons in my time}, and I could relate to mental exhaustion {though pressures of work etc}, but I didn't really recognise emotional exhaustion until I walked through all this.

I just wouldn't quit with Google, it was my only hope, the Dr's had given me up, they offered me an Op in Halifax, but said it may only offer me a few extra months, that it was likely to incapacitate me for a couple of months, and leave me incontinent {how's that for an option for a man with 6 months to live}, sigh.

I was on my own, it {seemed at least} that if there was a way to beat the cancer I'd have to find it for myself.

After weeks of Google searching looking at vaccines {in Oz} that offered some hope, and sorting out the wheat from the chaff, there's a lot of dangerous false hopes out there on the www, presented to folks dieing of cancer, thankfully I didn't pin my hopes on green tea, selenium or drinking my own urine {believe me, folks are so desperate they do these things}, can you believe that folks advokate things like that ! I know of one man who placed all his hopes on died 3 months ago, well within the time frame he'd been given, maybe nothing would have saved him, but how desperate and ill informed was he.

I did find a couple of credible options, that might be able to cope with the extent of the cancer that I had. My hopes were on the vaccines, and certain new medications, vaccines are still in in phase II of phase III testing, so I couldn't get access to them.

My son had also done a lot of searching for me and found out about HIFU {High Intensity Focused Ultrasound} it looked promising, and when he looked at where in the world they used it he found one in Stockport ! of all places, just 20 miles from where he lived.

I contacted Stepping Hills Hospital, my Dr in Nova Scotia sent my file, and they said "get here as quick as you can" another reason to head back to the UK. The cost of HIFU was to be around £6,000 for the Op itself, and another £4,000 for additional costs.

Within 2 days of getting back to the UK I was in Stepping Hills {a NHS Hospital but offering to folks like me Private treatment}. I still can't get my head round this, treatments like HIFU should be available to any man who may benefit from it, yet if you can't pay for it yourself, you won't get it !

After a lot of tests and procedures I was finally told that I was beyond the scope of beneficial treatment by HIFU, my legs buckled when they told me that.

http://archive.boltoneveningnews.co....13/479496.html

That seemed to be the end of the road for me, but the Dr at Stepping Hills phoned me up a few days later, when I was back at home, to ask me how I was, I told him I was shattered.

He told me that I was the youngest guy that they'd not been able to treat, that I'd been on his mind a lot, and that he'd spoken to other cancer specialists in the UK to see if there was a one last chance for me.

He'd come up with Cryosurgery in Sunderland Royal {again Private treatment option, done in another NHS hospital}. I finished up going for that, and it cost me £8,417 for the actual treatment and the stay in the NHS hospital.

The cryo helped, no doubt on that, it killed most of the primary tumour, but that was all it could do for me. Yet Google had come to the rescue, I'd also found out about Celebrex a drug that was intended to relieve athritis but was found to have the ability to turn off cancer cells.

I couldn't get it in the UK {not yet approved by NICE for cancer treatment}, so I bought it from the US and started several months of knocking back high doses of Celebrex, even though I knew it can induce heart attacks or stokes, it was a bit like playing Russian Roulette with cancer, but what had I to lose ?

Within weeks of being told of my impending doom I was already on 2,400 mg of Celebrex a day {that's up to 6 times the usuall doseage}. Now here't the thing about Celebrex, by the time I got to Sunderland Royal the tumours that I had, had shrunk by 30% to 40%, and their activity had dropped by a similar amount, they were at the time close to being in remission, their was some debate as to maybe {just maybe} I should hold off on the Cryo to see if the Celebrex {with the help of a course of chemo} would do the job, but finally they did the Cryo anyway, I've no doubt that helped at least to kill most if not all of the primary cancer.

As it is now I seem to be in remission, no one can say how long this may last, maybe as long as I'm taking the Celebrex, who knows, but it does seem that I beat the odds the first time around. Although I still have cancer I should have 3 years or so left on the clock now, but there's no guarantee on that, you pay your money {as I did in this case} and you takes your chance.

I {sort of} managed to win the day, but I'm not pleased to say the least that options open to me weren't available to folks who can't find the cash, that's not how it's supposed to be. The NHS should be offering the best care, not "any prize off the bottom shelf" if you don't have the money.

What was available to me should be abailable to every man who needs it, but few of them are able to speak up and make a fuss when they find themselves cursed by cancer.

I've never lacked the courage of my convictions, and I've campaigned here in the UK for well over a year now to get these kinder and better treatment options available for all those who need it, I've managed to bring to light {through the media} the fact that there are better options for men with PCa.

The campaign that I ran got 5 local men {and a lot more around the U.K.}either Cryo or HIFU on the NHS, none of them would have had the ability to pay for their treatments, they are now all doing well with better prospects than they might have had.

How can we refuse people treatment that may save their lives just because they can't afford to pay for it ! How can we tolerate a two tier health care system when we are all supposed to be "equal", reminds me of Animal Farm...

"We are all equall, it's just that some of us are more equall than others" !

Ah well, like an old war horse I won't quit while there's breath in me...

Canada Bob.

Last edited by Canada Bob; May 14th 2006 at 2:50 pm.
Old May 14th 2006, 3:04 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

How can we refuse people treatment that may save their lives just because they can't afford to pay for it ! How can we tolerate a two tier health care system when we are all supposed to be "equal", reminds me of Animal Farm...
Its really simple Bob...

if people want to be treated equal then they need to think they're equal

they don't!!

some are greedy, some are lazy, and most think they deserve better than they've got in life

quite frankly I grew up a strong socialist... but now I sometimes think that euthanasia for the bottom 50% of the gene pool isn't such a bad idea
Old May 14th 2006, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Its really simple Bob...
if people want to be treated equal then they need to think they're equal
they don't!!
some are greedy, some are lazy, and most think they deserve better than they've got in life quite frankly I grew up a strong socialist... but now I sometimes think that euthanasia for the bottom 50% of the gene pool isn't such a bad idea
I know what you mean Mike, I hear you loud and clear, I know where you're coming from, and I see the humour and yet anguish in the comment.

It's like one of my mates tells me...

If you're not a socialist when your 20 you don't have a heart, but it you're still a socialist when you're 50 you don't have a brain

I've gone 8 years past that sell by date, what can I say... I still am foolish enough to rise to the bait.

All the Best,

Canada Bob.
Old May 14th 2006, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

sally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to all

I know what you mean Mike, I hear you loud and clear, I know where you're coming from, and I see the humour and yet anguish in the comment.

It's like one of my mates tells me...

If you're not a socialist when your 20 you don't have a heart, but it you're still a socialist when you're 50 you don't have a brain

I've gone 8 years past that sell by date, what can I say... I still am foolish enough to rise to the bait.

All the Best,

Canada Bob.
Dear Canada Bob
Having read your posts about your cancer, and the story of your whistle blowing of Fleet, I just wanted to tell you how much your courage has moved me. I hope that if faced with such terrible obstacles as you, I can try to show such determination and hope as you have.
Thankyou for sharing
Sally
Old May 14th 2006, 5:23 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

You're right on the above, we certainly do have a lot of friends in Nova Scotia....
Ah well, like an old war horse I won't quit while there's breath in me...

Canada Bob.

I fully understand your anguish and panic you had as my mother was told a similar story 10 years ago now with brain tumours spread from the lung area she'd had removed but I won't go on about that. Have you got finger ache from the big reply ? Just joking, it was an interesting read and I have saved the info due to being a pessimist now (I used to be an optimist you know).
I just know now how peoples lives can change and get better if they try, mainly from friends who have taken the plunge or from people they know. I just want to try somewhere different and if we like it all well and good, if we don't after making a real effort then re-evaluate the situation. Am I right to say potential emigrators should go with an open mind and NOT start comparing too much with where they originated from ?
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kellydrew
Hi Mandy
We are in Wigan also, we live in Hindley where abouts are you? We're moving to Barrie once we sell our house. We have priced up the cost of replacements and are awaiting quotes from a few different shipping companies, good luck with your move.

Kelly
Hi Kelly

Your the first person I've seen on here looking at moving to Barrie, we are also doing the same (hopefully) just got back from there last week lurvelly place, you got any job info?

Wayne
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:34 pm
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Originally Posted by weener
Hi Kelly

Your the first person I've seen on here looking at moving to Barrie, we are also doing the same (hopefully) just got back from there last week lurvelly place, you got any job info?

Wayne
Hi Wayne,
Finally someone else interested in Barrie!!! We love it, been over on a number of occasions, seen all the seasons and loved every one of them. I have family in the East End of Barrie near to Dunlop Street near to the waterfront. This area is older with more established trees and property.
Where abouts where you and what did you think of it?
Workwise we are still in the process of looking, Andrew is looking for landscape jobs and I'm looking for work with people with learning disabilities. This is proving to be difficult as they dont recognise my qualifications!
What kind of work do you do and are you entering as skilled worker or on family sponsor?
cheers
Kelly
Old Jun 15th 2006, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kellydrew
Hi Wayne,
Finally someone else interested in Barrie!!! We love it, been over on a number of occasions, seen all the seasons and loved every one of them. I have family in the East End of Barrie near to Dunlop Street near to the waterfront. This area is older with more established trees and property.
Where abouts where you and what did you think of it?
Workwise we are still in the process of looking, Andrew is looking for landscape jobs and I'm looking for work with people with learning disabilities. This is proving to be difficult as they dont recognise my qualifications!
What kind of work do you do and are you entering as skilled worker or on family sponsor?
cheers
Kelly

Hi Kelly

I'm going in under the skilled category, I'm a Injection Molding Technician and they have a few companies in the area, but its so hard to get a response whilst living in the UK. We got turned down in April 04 but to our amazement the Immigration specialist got things turned around for us 6 weeks ago so went on a quick revisit to Canada and Barrie last week.
We stayed at the KOA which is just north of Barrie of the 400, but landed as they were having a hot spell (33 but with the humidity felt like 40)and I must admit the Mosquitoes were a a pain on the ass.
hecked at some more houses and a school on steel st (near to the waters front), also had a couple of meals in the Mandarin which of courses is a must!!!!!.
We currently live ON the south on England in Portsmouth, little far away from Wigan. How far down the process are you?.
Just as a bit of info for ya, I popped into a kinda job agency in Barrie last week to enquire about basic kinda jobs (in case of emergency) and the average wage in around the $10-12 mark, but Honda are opening a extension to there existing Branch in 2008 and employing 350 more people and there wages on the temp register are around the $19 mark which ain't too bad.....
Just food for thought.....

Wayne
Old Jun 15th 2006, 8:00 pm
Kelly

Originally Posted by weener
Hi Kelly

I'm going in under the skilled category, I'm a Injection Molding Technician and they have a few companies in the area, but its so hard to get a response whilst living in the UK. We got turned down in April 04 but to our amazement the Immigration specialist got things turned around for us 6 weeks ago so went on a quick revisit to Canada and Barrie last week.
We stayed at the KOA which is just north of Barrie of the 400, but landed as they were having a hot spell (33 but with the humidity felt like 40)and I must admit the Mosquitoes were a a pain on the ass.
hecked at some more houses and a school on steel st (near to the waters front), also had a couple of meals in the Mandarin which of courses is a must!!!!!.
We currently live ON the south on England in Portsmouth, little far away from Wigan. How far down the process are you?.
Just as a bit of info for ya, I popped into a kinda job agency in Barrie last week to enquire about basic kinda jobs (in case of emergency) and the average wage in around the $10-12 mark, but Honda are opening a extension to there existing Branch in 2008 and employing 350 more people and there wages on the temp register are around the $19 mark which ain't too bad.....
Just food for thought.....

Wayne
Hi Wayne I've sent you a pm as I dont think others would be interested in Barrie!!
Cheers
Kelly
Old Jun 20th 2006, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

mugginflapps is an unknown quantity at this point

we brought most of our own stuff. Like in the UK good stuff is expensive and not so good stuff is reasonably priced, so it depends on how much money you have to buy your things. depends on where you are going to live in BC as to what shops there are. Get on to google.ca and search furniture stores, that might be a start.

Originally Posted by mandyg
I am trying to work out if it's cheaper to buy new furniture once i get to Canada or ship our old furniture. Does anyone know any stores which have web sites that i can look at for a comparison.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.