Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buy new or ship old ?

Buy new or ship old ?

Old May 13th 2006, 10:45 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all
Default Re: Buy new or ship old ?

Originally Posted by mandyg
Its a small world
When we were in Maple ridge 2 yrs ago my wife ( the real mandyg) asked a lady we saw on a park so info on the area - turns out she was from Chorley

How far into the process are you Kelly?
Hi

I (Drew, OH of Kelly) am now officially landed as of last week. Kell is a Canadian citizen being born there. She moved over here when she was four. She sponsored me under the family class. Check out our Anyone Heard From Mississauga thread.
We are just waiting for Borron Shaw to sell the bloody house before we can move over for good. We got back from Barrie yesterday morning after spending a week there so it's just the waiting game now.
I assume you're going in under the Skilled Worker class?

Take care and good luck.

Drew
Old May 13th 2006, 10:54 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Canada Bob
Cor Blimey ! is everyone from Wigin :-) are they all gerrin' out ???

I used to live in Haigh, until we emigrated in 1982...

Did 6 years in Thorold, 6 miles West of Niagara Falls, great little place, made a change for me jogging through vineyards rather than across the coal tips round Top Lock...

After Ontario we did 2 years in Quebec, can you imagine what they made of a Wigin accent there ! then around 15 years in Nova Scotia, one of the most pleasant places I've ever seen anywhere in the World.

Canada Bob.
Hey Bob

It would appear that we are indeed all trying to get out. Mind you when was the last time you were over? You might have an idea why we're all trying to escape if you could see for yourself what's it's like.
I see you hail from Haigh. That is a lovely area. One of the few nice parts left. We aren't too bad here it's just the area in general and this generation of yobbish kids growing up. This area is pretty bad for that.
Glad to hear you love it over there. I believe NS is a beautiful place and we will definitely be visiting there once we're over.

Take care
Drew
Old May 13th 2006, 11:08 am
Kelly

Did 6 years in Thorold, 6 miles West of Niagara Falls, great little place, made a change for me jogging through vineyards rather than across the coal tips round Top Lock...

Canada Bob.[/QUOTE]

I was jogging round Kempenfelt Bay in Barrie last week looking at the clear waters and Cardinals in the trees, when something dawned on me
For the 45 minutes I was out, I wasn't verbally abused or had the p..s taken out of me. Something that happens all the time as I run along the streets of Hindley. Just a small example of how life is not as good as it was over here. I passed joggers, cyclists, roller bladers, power walkers, mums jogging with prams and nobody bothers them at all. It is just sooooooooo much nicer.

Take care

Drew
Old May 13th 2006, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kellydrew

Canada Bob.
I was jogging round Kempenfelt Bay in Barrie last week looking at the clear waters and Cardinals in the trees, when something dawned on me
For the 45 minutes I was out, I wasn't verbally abused or had the p..s taken out of me. Something that happens all the time as I run along the streets of Hindley. Just a small example of how life is not as good as it was over here. I passed joggers, cyclists, roller bladers, power walkers, mums jogging with prams and nobody bothers them at all. It is just sooooooooo much nicer.

Take care

Drew[/QUOTE]

Hi Drew

Small world, we live a few miles down the road from you in Leigh!

Congrats on getting your visa so quickly and fingers crossed your house sells soon. There are a lot more sold signs around here lately so people must be buying again now that it is spring.

We haven't even put our house on the market yet as my hubby is hoping to go on a work permit. We are waiting for approval from the HRDC office which take another 4 - 6 weeks yet.

Anyway thought I would say hi.

Mel
Old May 13th 2006, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant future

Take care
Drew
Yep, there's no comparison, it's as though you're living on another planet, not just another country, the odd part is why is it so different ? after all the folks are off the same stock, yet the attitudes are worlds apart...

My guess is it's down to the too many rats in a box theory, in the Untidy Kingdom we have 635 people per sq mile in Canada it's 6 people per sq mile !

There's more folks live in Greater London than the combined population of Ontario & BC, more folks live in Manchester than Nova Scotia, PEI and Newfoundland put together !!!

No wonder folks want to get out of the UK, I think back on what my Dad used to say, when he and his brothers went to fight WWII they were told they were "Fighting for a Land fit for Hero's to live in", but before he died he told me that "you had to be a Hero to live in it now" and it's gone worse since he passed away.

Off to Whetherspoons now, to contemplate me navel, sigh... well that and watch the Cup Final.

Canada Bob.
Old May 13th 2006, 12:36 pm
Kelly

Hi Drew

Small world, we live a few miles down the road from you in Leigh!

Congrats on getting your visa so quickly and fingers crossed your house sells soon. There are a lot more sold signs around here lately so people must be buying again now that it is spring.

We haven't even put our house on the market yet as my hubby is hoping to go on a work permit. We are waiting for approval from the HRDC office which take another 4 - 6 weeks yet.

Anyway thought I would say hi.

Mel[/QUOTE]
Hey Mel

Whereabouts in Leigh are you? Both Kelly and I work in Leigh. I suppose with us, you and Mandyg wanting to get away from this area it has to tell you something :scared:

Anyways all the best
Old May 13th 2006, 12:43 pm
Kelly

Yep, there's no comparison, it's as though you're living on another planet, not just another country, the odd part is why is it so different ? after all the folks are off the same stock, yet the attitudes are worlds apart...

My guess is it's down to the too many rats in a box theory, in the Untidy Kingdom we have 635 people per sq mile in Canada it's 6 people per sq mile !

There's more folks live in Greater London than the combined population of Ontario & BC, more folks live in Manchester than Nova Scotia, PEI and Newfoundland put together !!!

No wonder folks want to get out of the UK, I think back on what my Dad used to say, when he and his brothers went to fight WWII they were told they were "Fighting for a Land fit for Hero's to live in", but before he died he told me that "you had to be a Hero to live in it now" and it's gone worse since he passed away.

Off to Whetherspoons now, to contemplate me navel, sigh... well that and watch the Cup Final.

Canada Bob.
Profound words indeed from your Dad.
I agree with your theory about overpopulation. Throw into the equation all the different cultures crammed in here as well and you're asking for trouble.

Are you in the UK now? Just that I wasn't aware they had Wetherspoons in Canada. Enjoy the game.

Drew
Old May 13th 2006, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Mel

Whereabouts in Leigh are you? Both Kelly and I work in Leigh. I suppose with us, you and Mandyg wanting to get away from this area it has to tell you something :scared:

Anyways all the best

We live near the Sportsman pub, do you know where I mean?

We want to move due to the great joinery job opportunities over there and also to provide a better future for the kids. We are hoping to move to the Vancouver area and are going out in 2 weeks on a recce, as we have never been before.

I used to work at the Sainsbury's in Leigh in the office, but work in Bolton now at a private girls' school. Whereabouts do you work?

Hi to MandyG whoever she is!

Mel
Old May 13th 2006, 1:38 pm
Kelly

We live near the Sportsman pub, do you know where I mean?

We want to move due to the great joinery job opportunities over there and also to provide a better future for the kids. We are hoping to move to the Vancouver area and are going out in 2 weeks on a recce, as we have never been before.

I used to work at the Sainsbury's in Leigh in the office, but work in Bolton now at a private girls' school. Whereabouts do you work?

Hi to MandyG whoever she is!

Hi

Yeh I know where you mean. My in laws used to live in Pilling St.

We both work for Wigan Met Social Services. I work in Hanover St and Kell works at the Orchards facing where Bentwood Bros used to be.

Small world eh?

Drew
Old May 13th 2006, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mels123
Vancouver is a lovely place, we went on a 3 week trip back in 2004. Its a complete contrast to what we're used to over here, ie clean tidy / beautiful over there versus Hindley (enough said )

mandyg is my wife mandy, i'm stuart her hubby. She's painting the dinning room at the moment whilst i'm having a beer
Old May 13th 2006, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandyg
Hi mels123
Vancouver is a lovely place, we went on a 3 week trip back in 2004. Its a complete contrast to what we're used to over here, ie clean tidy / beautiful over there versus Hindley (enough said )

mandyg is my wife mandy, i'm stuart her hubby. She's painting the dinning room at the moment whilst i'm having a beer
Hi Stuart

I'll send you a message as I think I have hijacked this thread!!

Mel
Old May 13th 2006, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant future

Profound words indeed from your Dad.
I agree with your theory about overpopulation. Throw into the equation all the different cultures crammed in here as well and you're asking for trouble.

Are you in the UK now? Just that I wasn't aware they had Wetherspoons in Canada. Enjoy the game.

Drew
Hello Drew... yea I think the rat syndrome is the cause of many problems over here, maybe the culture clashes too, maybe the free loaders that we all see making the rest of us look like fools {working for a living}.

When I tell folks in Canada or the US that folks arriving here {unannounced} are immediately entitled to a house, and all they need to go with it, plus a new car {every 3 years} if any of them are "disabled" did you know there's already 1 Million "free cars" on the roads of the UK, fair enough a good many of them to folks who really do deserve them, but I don't know another country where on arrival folks are "entitled" to, a house, and furnishings, then payments for life off Welfare and a car if you can wangle it ! add to that a holiday if your kids have been subjected to an ASBO

There's too many free loaders in the UK, that's breaking the back of the country and the spirit of the people. Canada has it welfare system, and like anywhere else it's also abused there, but not to the extent that we see over here.

Right now we are over here, the only reason we came back was a heath situation where I was told {in May 2004} that I could have just 6 months to live, so we sold up and headed back as the only family we have are still in the UK, and I thought that would be best for my wife if I popped me clogs.

2 years on and due to the medication that I managed to find in the US, plus a minor Op over here I'm at least holding me own, but I don't know how long I may have, that's in the lap of the gods.

Talked it over with my wife and she says that no matter what time I may have left we had a better life in Canada, and that the time we spend here is time that we should be enjoying in Canada, rather than ticking my life away here, so it looks like we could be headed back {soon}.

I think the stress of what I went through in Ontario finally caught up with me, the bomb on the car didn't go off {the RCMP found it}, but the battle I was in for 5-6 years took it's toll on me, that's for sure... check the link below...

http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/bmart...s/Norburn.html

The Wetherspoons I was in this afternoon watching the best Cup Final I've ever seen} was the one in Westhoughton, we live about a mile away from there.

Canada Bob.
Old May 13th 2006, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

There's too many free loaders in the UK, that's breaking the back of the country and the spirit of the people. Canada has it welfare system, and like anywhere else it's also abused there, but not to the extent that we see over here.

[ Canada Bob.
am i right in thinking you spent 24 years in canada then returned to the uk 2 years ago? so this minor op was done by private medicine or are you a free loader too?
Old May 13th 2006, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
am i right in thinking you spent 24 years in canada then returned to the uk 2 years ago? so this minor op was done by private medicine or are you a free loader too?
Since you ask I paid out of my own pocket, see the link below...

http://archive.boltoneveningnews.co..../4/465645.html

Add to that the medications that I take are imported at my cost from the US as they aren't available in the UK yet, the main reason is that NICE hasn't approved them yet, so folks like me in the UK suffering from Cancer don't get these potentially life saving drugs, a bit like women having to fight to get herceptin.

Can't see how I could be could be considered a free loader, the fact is that in the 23 years or so that we were in Canada we continued to pay our stamps, several hundred quid a year, for 20 odd years, you tell me if that's freeloading ?

Look at it this way, I presently have 43 years of contributions on my card, and in those 43 years I've never previously been in hospital but I did have 2 weeks off work in 1977, I got £28 in sick pay then, and I've had nowt since.

Add to that I declined sick notes from my Dr over here, since we've been back, and haven't had one penny of any State Benefits in the 2 years we've been back, yet I'm still paying my stamps/contributions every month.

The reason we came back was I was expected to die, it seemed that no one could offer me much hope, on either side of the ocean. I even brought my medications with me, and still continue to import them from the U.S.

I was brought up in Wigan {a left wing Town}, where although we didn't have much, we don't look to scrounge off anyone else or expect to be carried through life at someone else's expense. I have lived and worked by my respect for Social Responsibility, and I do object to folks who abuse the system, maybe you see things differently.

Canada Bob.

Last edited by Canada Bob; May 13th 2006 at 7:55 pm.
Old May 13th 2006, 9:04 pm
Kelly

Smile Re: Buy new or ship old ?

Since you ask I paid out of my own pocket, see the link below...

http://archive.boltoneveningnews.co..../4/465645.html

Add to that the medications that I take are imported at my cost from the US as they aren't available in the UK yet, the main reason is that NICE hasn't approved them yet, so folks like me in the UK suffering from Cancer don't get these potentially life saving drugs, a bit like women having to fight to get herceptin.

Can't see how I could be could be considered a free loader, the fact is that in the 23 years or so that we were in Canada we continued to pay our stamps, several hundred quid a year, for 20 odd years, you tell me if that's freeloading ?

Look at it this way, I presently have 43 years of contributions on my card, and in those 43 years I've never previously been in hospital but I did have 2 weeks off work in 1977, I got £28 in sick pay then, and I've had nowt since.

Add to that I declined sick notes from my Dr over here, since we've been back, and haven't had one penny of any State Benefits in the 2 years we've been back, yet I'm still paying my stamps/contributions every month.

The reason we came back was I was expected to die, it seemed that no one could offer me much hope, on either side of the ocean. I even brought my medications with me, and still continue to import them from the U.S.

I was brought up in Wigan {a left wing Town}, where although we didn't have much, we don't look to scrounge off anyone else or expect to be carried through life at someone else's expense. I have lived and worked by my respect for Social Responsibility, and I do object to folks who abuse the system, maybe you see things differently.

Canada Bob.
Well said Bob.
The previous post was well out of order.
I'm glad you're doing ok. It sounds like you've had it pretty rough.
My parents live in Cowyead City. Probably walked past you on Market St. Where exactly are you?
Drew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.