Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buy new or ship old ?

Buy new or ship old ?

Old May 9th 2006, 1:14 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buy new or ship old ?

Originally Posted by mandyg
I am trying to work out if it's cheaper to buy new furniture once i get to Canada or ship our old furniture. Does anyone know any stores which have web sites that i can look at for a comparison.
We wished we had brought our bed and sofa - we came from a 2 bed semi and moved into a pink elephant of a house, we have been here for 11 months and have only just furnished the bedrooms (for an impending MIL invasion ) The basement is still empty. We move to a smaller house on Monday and the basement will still be unfurnished and the stress levels will rise as before the MIL invasion We have to paint the two guest bedrooms and make the house look like a home.......We have 5 weeks....Should be a breeze.....
Old May 10th 2006, 12:12 am
dont be afraid to reply

cov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to all
Wink Re: Buy new or ship old ?

bring it all you will reget it .. if you dont
and the last thing you want is to buy it all over again plus TAX..

electricals bring them too they all work honest..
buy a transformer .
t.v s and dvd and vcr and the blinking micro wave

have fun

Last edited by cov lad; May 10th 2006 at 12:20 am.
Old May 12th 2006, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

zigspider is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just bought a house in Nova Scotia, that was rewired in 2004 to 220V. All the white goods have been left including cooker and dishwasher.
We had planned on only taking our TV, VCR, and DVD player, so we could play all our multiregion, and the Video collection amassed.. These were bought in France but it is 230V here, but we assumed we would need to buy one of these convertor 'things' to make this work, but felt it was worth it rather than replacing the whole collection.
Can anyone say on the basis of this, will we need this convertor at all, or can we just put Canadian plugs on them.. also all the other electrical kitchen items we have already started selling, we are now wondering if we should hang on to them since they will (might) work. Do we know if changing plugs will mean they will work as they did here.
When we moved to France, there was only a 10v difference, and everything worked.. and now we will be moving to a house that is again only a 10v difference, so do we keep or sell.
I have looked in the Sears catalogue and have been astounded at the prices before tax for many of the things we plan to sell (practically give away is more the truth) so need some advice.
Gemma
Old May 12th 2006, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

agibson6 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by zigspider
We have just bought a house in Nova Scotia, that was rewired in 2004 to 220V. All the white goods have been left including cooker and dishwasher.
We had planned on only taking our TV, VCR, and DVD player, so we could play all our multiregion, and the Video collection amassed.. These were bought in France but it is 230V here, but we assumed we would need to buy one of these convertor 'things' to make this work, but felt it was worth it rather than replacing the whole collection.
Can anyone say on the basis of this, will we need this convertor at all, or can we just put Canadian plugs on them.. also all the other electrical kitchen items we have already started selling, we are now wondering if we should hang on to them since they will (might) work. Do we know if changing plugs will mean they will work as they did here.
When we moved to France, there was only a 10v difference, and everything worked.. and now we will be moving to a house that is again only a 10v difference, so do we keep or sell.
I have looked in the Sears catalogue and have been astounded at the prices before tax for many of the things we plan to sell (practically give away is more the truth) so need some advice.
Gemma
We are using toaster, kettle, mixer,, foreman grills, electric drills, electric screwdrivers etc brought from uk on 220v with just changing the plugs.
Old May 12th 2006, 4:19 pm
dont be afraid to reply

cov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to all

[gemma
hold to your horses
stop selling and start packing

i will give you an example
a transformer i brought which will power my circular saw
cost me 69$
thats it
you figure it out how powerful is that saw
and how much current you house hold appilance will take
so be smart and buy these converters

ok now for the small print
on the back of all appliance
there are some numbers
if it says 110-230
then your laughing becuz they will work just put a plug
also some stuff have a small socket (d.c)
that will work to just buy an adapter
otherwise if it only says 230-240
noworries still pack it just but aconverter

thats it simple
so no fear i dii not give you any technical jargon just simple stuff ..
basically every elec thing will work
i know
ive done and several of my mates have too
so get packing and stop giving your stuff away
i look at it this way you buy something for 50 pounds
u guve it away for 10 or evan less becuz noone wnats it
you then have to buy another onewhen you cum here..
plus tax
which will cost $90plus tx
so who wins
not you
hope that sorts it
need some shut eye
Old May 12th 2006, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Buy new or ship old ?

Thanks Cov lad that's cheered me up, one question, how did you get the TV to work, ie did it need a new tuner or did it work ok without?
Old May 12th 2006, 4:40 pm
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Thanks for the info Jude.
We're currently in Wigan looking at either Vancouver or Calgary depending on where we can afford once we get the visa's

Hi Mandy
We are in Wigan also, we live in Hindley where abouts are you? We're moving to Barrie once we sell our house. We have priced up the cost of replacements and are awaiting quotes from a few different shipping companies, good luck with your move.

Kelly
Old May 12th 2006, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Buy new or ship old ?

Hi Kellydrew, we're in Hindley, Aughton St just round the corner fom the Monaco
Old May 12th 2006, 6:14 pm
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Wow. Kinda cool that there's someone round the corner. How far into the process are you?
Old May 12th 2006, 6:28 pm
Kelly

Jeeze small world, we're up Castle Hill near the cemetery, who'd av thought!!!!!!!!!!!
Bet we've passed each other in Tesco lol!!!
Take care
Kelly
Old May 12th 2006, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Riddor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cov lad
bring it all you will reget it .. if you dont
and the last thing you want is to buy it all over again plus TAX..

electricals bring them too they all work honest..
buy a transformer .
t.v s and dvd and vcr and the blinking micro wave

have fun
Hi Cov Lad

Will it be worth bringing a portable tv/vcr and a PS2?

How much do these converters cost and where,s the cheapest place to buy them from?

Thanks
Old May 12th 2006, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not very far, our forms were submitted to london mid Jan this year, it says that there being processed as of Feb 14th. Hoping that using a lawyer might speed things up ( forms pre-checked, typed up etc ) as i can get work in Vancouver with the company i work for over here, shame they can't help with work permits
Old May 12th 2006, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

shell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant future

Just to add a bit of technical detail to this thread, mains voltage in Canada is between 110V and 120V at 60Hz, it can vary slightly. The normal household power sockets can supply up to 15 amps of current. Most appliances have a power (wattage) rating, just look on the back or underneath, usually there is a sticker which shows the voltage/wattage. To calculate watts just multiply the voltage by amps, so 120V x 15A = 1800 watts or 1.8kW. In contrast the maximum power output from a UK mains socket is 240V x 13A = 3.12kW, nearly twice the power.

Canadian homes actually have two 120V feeds coming in to the main consumer unit, these are combined to give 240V to power the cooker and electric dryer. These special larger sockets are for powering heavier duty loads; the cooker socket can supply 40amps, the dryer 30amps.

The frequency of the mains power is higher in Canada at 60Hz (cycles per second), in the UK it's 50Hz. This difference will only really affect electric motors if the motor is powered directly from the mains, such as a vaccuum cleaner. You can plug a 240V vaccuum into 120V and it will work albeit a bit slow, our Dyson still sucks reasonably well and is useable. It can also be plugged into the 240V Canadian cooker/dryer socket with a suitable plug and it will work but at a slightly faster speed than in the UK. Canadian Tire sell the 240V plugs/leads for about $15.

As others have mentioned most moden electronic equipment is designed to run usually between a range of 100V and 240V. Some equipment is selectable (such as computers) and others autosense the input voltage such as power adaptors for camcorders.

Our 10 year old Sony Trinitron TV needed 240V input, we purchased a voltage converter from http://www.voltageconverters.com. Most TV's over here need either a cable or satellite connection as the terrestrial aerial input on the back of UK TV's are not compatible. However most TV's have a range of AV inputs, just get the appropriate lead to plug into the satellite/cable box. They don't seem to use Scart connections here so you will need composite or S-video leads, or optical leads if you have a really modern gear. Even though our TV is old it can accept NTSC or PAL inputs and works great with the cable box. Both our cheap DVD players are 100-240V compatible and are PAL/NTSC, we just need to get a north american plug.

If you buy a voltage converter make sure it can supply much more power than what it will connect to. Our Sony TV uses about 150 watts but I have bought a 500 watt voltage converter. This is because equipment such as TV's, electric motors etc initially use a lot more power when they first turn on, so if I had a 150 watt converter it would risk being damaged or the TV just not coming on. Also there's spare capacity for plugging in the 240V video recorder and other stuff that won't work from 120V.

J
Old May 13th 2006, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Canada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant future

Cor Blimey ! is everyone from Wigin :-) are they all gerrin' out ???

I used to live in Haigh, until we emigrated in 1982...

Did 6 years in Thorold, 6 miles West of Niagara Falls, great little place, made a change for me jogging through vineyards rather than across the coal tips round Top Lock...

After Ontario we did 2 years in Quebec, can you imagine what they made of a Wigin accent there ! then around 15 years in Nova Scotia, one of the most pleasant places I've ever seen anywhere in the World.

Canada Bob.
Old May 13th 2006, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Its a small world
When we were in Maple ridge 2 yrs ago my wife ( the real mandyg) asked a lady we saw on a park so info on the area - turns out she was from Chorley

How far into the process are you Kelly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.