Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

To buy a new blackberry in the UK or wait until Canada??

Wikiposts

To buy a new blackberry in the UK or wait until Canada??

Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Neillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant future
Question To buy a new blackberry in the UK or wait until Canada??

Can anyone tell me what I am best to do in this situation.
I had planned to bring my out of contract blackberry bold 9000 to Canada with us when we move shortly. It has just died and I am waiting on a new battery to see if that is the problem (but I doubt it) as the phone is over 18 months old.
So I need a new phone being the likely scenario.
Should I wait and buy one in Canada when I get there in about 3 weeks time?

OR should I buy a sim free Blackberry from Amazon UK for £200 to £400.

I know that there are limited carriers who use sim cards in Canada, so I am limited if I have a phone that uses a sim card.
Any lastly, I am considering the Blackberry Torch, anyone got any recommendations??

Many thanks,
Maria.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:26 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To buy a new blackberry in the UK or wait until Canada??

Originally Posted by Neillybhoy
I had planned to bring my out of contract blackberry bold 9000 to Canada with us when we move shortly. It has just died and I am waiting on a new battery to see if that is the problem (but I doubt it) as the phone is over 18 months old.

I know that there are limited carriers who use sim cards in Canada, so I am limited if I have a phone that uses a sim card.
Any lastly, I am considering the Blackberry Torch, anyone got any recommendations??

Many thanks,
Maria.
If you want a Torch why not wait til you get here and get one free on a 3 year contract?

o/h has one - its ok I suppose as phones go can't say either way whether I love it or not - its a phone
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:40 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Neillybhoy

Many thanks,
Maria.

You can't get a Blackberry here on Pay as you Go so you may as well wait and get one on a contract.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:07 am
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

The carriers here are slowly switching over to SIM cards so you will almost certainly be able to use it over here.

That said, you will get no discount on a contract for providing your own handset & PAYG here is brutal.

I'd agree with Fled & Mandy & wait until you get here..

Search cell 'phones on the forum, the service/value sucks, although there are a few new carriers entering the market..
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
The carriers here are slowly switching over to SIM cards so you will almost certainly be able to use it over here.

That said, you will get no discount on a contract for providing your own handset & PAYG here is brutal.

I'd agree with Fled & Mandy & wait until you get here..

Search cell 'phones on the forum, the service/value sucks, although there are a few new carriers entering the market..
You won't get a discount for providing your own phone, but you also won't have to sign up to a 3 year contract either. If you provide your own phone they will give you a month to month contract, so you can shop around more often
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:29 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

You may be able to get one of these. Will almost certainly require a contract though....Welcome to Canada
Attached Thumbnails To buy a new blackberry in the UK or wait until Canada??-phone.jpg  
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:36 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rich07
You won't get a discount for providing your own phone, but you also won't have to sign up to a 3 year contract either. If you provide your own phone they will give you a month to month contract, so you can shop around more often
Is this reasonably recent? We couldn't do this in Nova Scotia.
Good to know it's out there as an option..
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Bell definitely offer it, and I think Rogers do as well
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:41 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Thanks, Rogers didn't when we tried but I'll try it out next time...
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

I have a Rogers month to month contract for my Blackberry and have done for the past 4 years. I currently have text and voice but no data plan.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:42 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I have a Rogers month to month contract for my Blackberry and have done for the past 4 years. I currently have text and voice but no data plan.
Isn't that basically PAYG or is that somehow different ?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:55 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I always though payg meant you bought $10 worth of credit and you topped it up when you ran out. In this country they steal unused credit after a month, though I led to believe that 7-11 does it differently.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tangram
PAYG you can buy a minimum of $10 that expires after a month, but there's no PAYG on Blackberries so you have to have a monthly contract. I get my emails too and downloads - this somehow is not classed as data.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all

Had the same problem myself and found in the UK the only affordable Blackberry on PAYG is the Curve.

I got one for £129 PAYG on O2 but I have been told this will not be transferrable to a Canadian network. If you are interested the car phone warehouse has a web shop called www.mobiles.co.uk
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:57 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

The UK blackberry's are not exactly the latest models and are prone to breaking down or freezing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.