Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buy! Buy! Buy!

Buy! Buy! Buy!

Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buy! Buy! Buy!

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
Why would you think I would suggest buying a home is a short term move? I'm talking about people buying a home as they emigrate.

It is not caution to the wind, as a pound will buy more than it has done for three years. Nor is it a few cents. Against the USD there has been around a 20% drop in two weeks. What would have cost an American $200,000, is only costing $160,000 for the same property.
Yes. but waiting may equally save you thousands. My point is that now is not the time to be rushing into big purchases...and my other point is that if you live in the UK at the moment, it's possible you may be facing large difficulties and your original post is pretty insensitive.

Last edited by G586; Oct 12th 2008 at 3:30 am. Reason: John Lewis is a private partnership....just for info.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

mik_n_ash has a spectacular aura aboutmik_n_ash has a spectacular aura aboutmik_n_ash has a spectacular aura about

Fact is what I am talking about:

http://www.x-rates.com/d/CAD/USD/graph30.html

I never mentioned the North Shore......but as you have...... did I ever mention what a wonderful place it is to live.....well, your nastiness will certainly be putting people off Halifax, South Shore, Fall River or wherever it is you live Mike.
My nastiness? I'm simply demonstrating that you are a very ill-equipped person to be giving financial advice to people coming across to Canada, your lack of knowledge on the fiscal systems of the world and how they interlink demonstrates perfectly that you are only interested in selling people houses, despite the fact that they could well be better off renting for the short-medium term, then buying their perfect property when they feel the market has reached a level with which they are happy. Showing the same graph over and over again does not prove that the CAD will reach the level you quoted. Nor does it show your capability to absorb any of the information which has been presented to you. If you must continue with your dangerous and irresponsible claims, do it in person, and not on a forum where people are looking to change their lives (hopefully) for the better, and may mistakingly take you for someone who has an inkling of economic sense.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Danny B
Last time I checked, NS were using dollars and cents not Pounds and pence.
That's Can$, please don't confuse it.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by G586
Yes. but waiting may equally save you thousands. My point is that now is not the time to be rushing into big purchases...and my other point is that if you live in the UK at the moment, it's possible you may be facing large difficulties and your original post is pretty insensitive.
Not as insensitive as the person on the Titanic who asked for ice. If you are jumping from the sinking ship there is never a right or wrong time, so long as you jump. I'm just pointing to a life-raft bobbing out of the mist and gloom carrying a little sack of unexpected cash.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mik_n_ash
My nastiness? I'm simply demonstrating that you are a very ill-equipped person to be giving financial advice to people coming across to Canada, your lack of knowledge on the fiscal systems of the world and how they interlink demonstrates perfectly that you are only interested in selling people houses, despite the fact that they could well be better off renting for the short-medium term, then buying their perfect property when they feel the market has reached a level with which they are happy. Showing the same graph over and over again does not prove that the CAD will reach the level you quoted. Nor does it show your capability to absorb any of the information which has been presented to you. If you must continue with your dangerous and irresponsible claims, do it in person, and not on a forum where people are looking to change their lives (hopefully) for the better, and may mistakingly take you for someone who has an inkling of economic sense.
I came across to Canada from the UK in an exceptional way, on a Visitors Visa, boldly going etc, and trail-blazed the community identified stream, so I am not ill equiped, in fact I have a torch.

Even breathing the fresh air and drinking the water here is changing peoples lives for the better.

Yes, they are changing their lives and need every penny. Watch the markets is all I am saying and cash in if you can.

The graph shows a trend - all you need is a crayon and a ruler.

It can be cheaper to pay a mortgage here than rent.

Everyone sees the US, UK and Europe collapse and infers it on Canada. Affected yes, part of it, no. You don't look old enough to be patronizing.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

All markets are interlinked, to say there is no financial storm is incorrect, its just that the repercussions are yet to be fully realised here yet, it took around 16-18 months for it to hit back in the UK, many of the large banks here, CIBC, BMO, RBC etc etc, are all exposed to subprime, a housing correction is heading this way, why would someone buy now (unless its a full amount in cash, made from profit on a house sale in the uk) when you could possibly get alot more for your money in 12 months time?

Now that the US and most of Europe are officially in recession who do you expect to buy Canadian exports? The currency will fluctuate until the truth comes out about the state of the economy, and while you may get more dollars to your pound in the next week or two, the long term trend is only going to be heading down, just like the commodity prices, even short selling will not make a positive change to the markets. People are going to be feeling a whole lot poorer soon, just like the affects we're seeing coming to light in the states and the UK/Europe.
Most of Canada's exports are not to US and Europe.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:26 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of Canada's exports are not to US and Europe.
So where are they going?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:33 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Most of Canada's exports are not to US
Canada's major trading partners - 2006

The United States was our largest trading partner. It absorbed 81.6% of our exports.

The next largest buyer was the United Kingdom, which bought 2.3% of our exports.

When it came to our imports, the USA was our largest supplier. It provided us with 54.9% of our imports. Our next largest supplier was China, which sold us 8.7% of our imports.

Okay, things may have changed in the last two years, and I can't be bothered to search out more recent statistics. But even now, the United States is our largest trading partner, by a long shot.
x
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Canada's major trading partners - 2006

The United States was our largest trading partner. It absorbed 81.6% of our exports.

The next largest buyer was the United Kingdom, which bought 23.3% of our exports.

When it came to our imports, the USA was our largest supplier. It provided us with 54.9% of our imports. Our next largest supplier was China, which sold us 8.7% of our imports.

Okay, things may have changed in the last two years, and I can't be bothered to search out more recent statistics. But even now, the United States is our largest trading partner, by a long shot.
x
Link doesn't work Judy?

Plus neither does the math? Exports to U.S. 81.6% exports to UK 23.3% total 104.9% and we haven't even got to the lesser ones yet.

Last edited by Steve_P; Oct 12th 2008 at 4:45 am.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:42 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Link doesn't work Judy?
Thanks for the heads up, Steve. I'll try again:

Canada's Major Trading Partners - 2006

Plus neither does the math? Exports to U.S. 81.6% exports to UK 23.5% total 104.9% and we haven't even got to the lesser ones yet.
Yes, I noticed my typo when I was re-reading my post, and managed to change it before the BE website showed that I'd edited my message.

In 2006, 81.6% of our exports went to the USA and 2.3% to the UK.
x
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Thanks for the heads up, Steve. I'll try again:

Canada's Major Trading Partners - 2006

Yes, I noticed my typo when I was re-reading my post, and managed to change it before the BE website showed that I'd edited my message.

In 2006, 81.6% of our exports went to the USA and 2.3% to the UK.
x
Aha that looks better.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

So, the headline in the world press today is

The world financial system is teetering on the "brink of systemic meltdown", the head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has warned in Washington

And an irresponsible Realtor is advising the we should Buy, Buy, Buy to feed his own greedy needs. Unbelievable. I thought Realtors were governed by some sort of rules whereby they had to be honest and representative. It seems not. I can't believe anyone in their right mind would use you as their Realtor. You just come across as a Spiv.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:51 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

As are wal-mart, value-village, etc. all staples in a deflationary environment... would you like me to use smaller words? or maybe draw you a picture in crayons?
Perhaps you could do a short presentation on Giffen goods?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dexdaw
I thought Realtors were governed by some sort of rules whereby they had to be honest and representative.
If you believe that then I've a villa with a hot spring fed pool on the North Shore that might interest you.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

By the way there's means there is... grammar is such a difficult thing to master
And when you're talking about a plural noun (two l's as opposed to one l) it should be 'there are', not 'there is' anyway! (i love being pedantic!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.