Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buy! Buy! Buy!

Buy! Buy! Buy!

Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buy! Buy! Buy!

Originally Posted by Souvenir
How come his website gives prices in C$, US$ and £?

Why, I wonder, would a Canadian realtor advertise prices in pounds?
They usually do that when selling recreational properties. Remember there's very little work down there so buyers will likely be retired or living somewhere else for most of the year.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:39 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
They usually do that when selling recreational properties. Remember there's very little work down there so buyers will likely be retired or living somewhere else for most of the year.
A 93-acre farm hardly counts as recreational but I take your point.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:47 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
Take a look:
so, the simple fact of having a river running through it gives NG the feel of Richmond-upon-Thames, does it?

R-o-T has two professional theatres, three cinemas, a whole host of pubs and clubs, and all the history associated with having been a river port for the English court's progress from London to Hampton for hundreds of years, and a major historical crossing point of the Thames. Such a rich cultural history attracts thousands of tourists throughout the year, which is lovely so long as you don't have to negotiate them on Bridge Street or the riverfront promenade on a Saturday afternoon. Here they are:

link to picture here as it didn't embed properly

New Glasgow is a former shipbuilding town with, for its area, a long history - dating back to the end of the 18th century. It boasts one high school, one junior high, and three elementary schools, compared to the 41 primary and 19 secondary schools in the borough of Richmond - which also has five tertiary education institutions. It has the Glasgow Square Theatre, which Wikipedia describes as "a 285 seat auditorium that hosts year-round concerts, plays, and other community functions."

NG has a population of 9,455 (2006 city population; 20,866 for the urban area) against 180,000 for the London Borough of Richmond, of whom approx 56,000 are within the old town boundaries of Richmond, including Ham, Kew, Petersham and Mortlake.

I really don't think there's any comparison. It's a bit like saying "hey, Blackpool and Los Angeles are both on the coast and have a beach. Hard to tell them apart, really."

Last edited by Oakvillian; Oct 27th 2008 at 5:50 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
A 93-acre farm hardly counts as recreational but I take your point.
Urbanite! I now think of 100 acres as being a quarter of a lot.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:56 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Bridge Street or the riverfront promenade on a Saturday afternoon. Here they are:

Awesome picture especially if you view it at full resolution.

I doubt you would find too many places in the world to match that, absolutely not on the "North Coast".
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:01 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Awesome picture especially if you view it at full resolution.

I doubt you would find too many places in the world to match that, absolutely not on the "North Coast".
I wish I could take any kind of credit for that one... I should, I suppose, have included an attribution and fair use license statement for Wikimedia Commons.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I wish I could take any kind of credit for that one... I should, I suppose, have included an attribution and fair use license statement for Wikimedia Commons.
I think it's ok because you linked to a page which includes all that. Imbedding the image would be more questionable.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

so, the simple fact of having a river running through it gives NG the feel of Richmond-upon-Thames, does it?

R-o-T has two professional theatres, three cinemas, a whole host of pubs and clubs, and all the history associated with having been a river port for the English court's progress from London to Hampton for hundreds of years, and a major historical crossing point of the Thames. Such a rich cultural history attracts thousands of tourists throughout the year, which is lovely so long as you don't have to negotiate them on Bridge Street or the riverfront promenade on a Saturday afternoon. Here they are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:R..._Sept_2008.jpg

New Glasgow is a former shipbuilding town with, for its area, a long history - dating back to the end of the 18th century. It boasts one high school, one junior high, and three elementary schools, compared to the 41 primary and 19 secondary schools in the borough of Richmond - which also has five tertiary education institutions. It has the Glasgow Square Theatre, which Wikipedia describes as "a 285 seat auditorium that hosts year-round concerts, plays, and other community functions."

NG has a population of 9,455 (2006 city population; 20,866 for the urban area) against 180,000 for the London Borough of Richmond, of whom approx 56,000 are within the old town boundaries of Richmond, including Ham, Kew, Petersham and Mortlake.

I really don't think there's any comparison. It's a bit like saying "hey, Blackpool and Los Angeles are both on the coast and have a beach. Hard to tell them apart, really."
Yes, I used to work at Kew, so I know Richmond very well.

New Glasgow doesn't have a jet flying over it every 30 seconds either, nor are there any yellow liines, speed cameras or motorways. To get from the south side of Kew Bridge to Richmond - how far is it 2 miles? - can take an hour in rush-hour, the same time it takes to get from Halifax Airport to New Glasgow. New Glasgow is 15 minutes from one of the best beaches in Nova Scotia, Richmond is 15 minutes from......Richmond.

As for not having a photo like that on the North Shore....thank goodness!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:27 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

New Glasgow doesn't have a jet flying over it every 30 seconds either, nor are there any yellow liines, speed cameras or motorways. To get from the south side of Kew Bridge to Richmond - how far is it 2 miles? - can take an hour in rush-hour, the same time it takes to get from Halifax Airport to New Glasgow. New Glasgow is 15 minutes from one of the best beaches in Nova Scotia, Richmond is 15 minutes from......Richmond.
,,,so you are saying that NG is actually nothing like Richmond on Thames after all, apart from having some water running through it?
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:30 pm
Magnificently Withering

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
,,,so you are saying that NG is actually nothing like Richmond on Thames after all, apart from having some water running through it?

erm... yes. I think OTBO has just made everyone else's point for them very eloquently!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
No, just like Richmond they have a boat race, bridge, marina, pubs on the water, some upmarket restaurants.

Though I can't remember Richmond holding a Gathering of the Clans, having a waterside music festival, qualifier for the Boston marathon or the Mayor buying drinks on New Years Day. Maybe I was away.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ray1968
You have $30m + inventory in Six months - sorry thats a little hard to believe for a new agent ..that would equate to commission income potential of over $600k even at 2% of listing which would make you one of the top individual agents in the GTA if you were doing business here. Can you prove it by providing MLS numbers so we can see your listings - might even generate a buyer for you
I sent you the proof ........and all from our little old North Shore Nova Scotia.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:02 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

If you in the UK, USA or elsewhere, are lucky enough to have sold your house, have the cash and plan to buy in Canada get ready to buy some dolars in the next few weeks....if you are in New Brainswick that's your own fault.

Err looks like the pound is following the CDN $ Down so no sight of 2.27, HOLD HOLD HOLD and from those of us in sensible NB to Realtor advice in NS
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Err looks like the pound is following the CDN $ Down so no sight of 2.27, HOLD HOLD HOLD and from those of us in sensible NB to Realtor advice in NS
That's strange - it was up to 2.04 and rising the last I looked - well, that's NB...sensible while we're all cashing in.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:39 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

That's strange - it was up to 2.04 and rising the last I looked - well, that's NB...sensible while we're all cashing in.
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/cgi-bin/famecgi_fdps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.