British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Burlington Ont (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/burlington-ont-605541/)

DHammond Apr 26th 2009 12:03 am

Burlington Ont

Hey there,
We have been in burlington for just over a year and l still have not met anyone of my age group 40's l have met loads of people that have been here for years 30 or so but no new comers.
If there is anyone out there that is fairly new to the area and fancy a coffee let me know.
Deb

happylandings Apr 26th 2009 12:58 am

Re: Burlington Ont

Hi DHammond,

We live in BC, but just wanted to say Hi.

With the vastness of BE, someone should be along soon, I think, who's nearby you.

Have you looked at clubs, Tai Chi to running clubs, for like minded company?

Wishing you All the Best.

Hollis Family Apr 26th 2009 6:31 am

Originally Posted by DHammond (Post 7514435)
Hey there,
We have been in burlington for just over a year and l still have not met anyone of my age group 40's l have met loads of people that have been here for years 30 or so but no new comers.
If there is anyone out there that is fairly new to the area and fancy a coffee let me know.
Deb

Hi Deb,

Although I am not moving to Burlington, i'll only be an hour away in Waterloo, we are moving out mid-June. Happy to meet up when we get there!

Michelle

tilly1626 Apr 26th 2009 2:00 pm

Hi Deb
I am in Oakville, we have been here nearly 2 years and I am always good for a chat and a coffee, will send you a pm.
Dawn

nagajara Apr 26th 2009 4:12 pm

Hey there,
Deb

Hi Deb,

I'm in Brantford - we have been here for around 18months - would love to meet up. Often through at Ikea. Gimme a PM!!!

Gail

claire blackburn Apr 26th 2009 6:52 pm

Hiya

We are looking to move to Burlington in early August - student visa application went in last week. How did you decide what was the best areas to move to. We are coming over for five days at the beginning of May for a reccie and any tips on areas to focus on would be helpful. We have one daughter who would start grade one in September so any schools you could recommend would also be helpful.

DHammond Apr 27th 2009 1:04 am

Hi Claire,
We came to Burlington as myself and my husband both have family here.
As far as schools for your daughter l am not too sure as my boys are a lot older.
If you do come over, let me know and we can get together.
All the best
Deb

Gail Apr 27th 2009 7:41 am

Hey there,
Deb

Have a look at the British Expat group at meetup.com

They meet in downtown Toronto once a month and there is a wide age range. They have also started a group in Hamilton.

It's usually a good night out so give it a go

Silverkat Apr 28th 2009 7:53 pm

Hey there,
Deb

Hi Deb,
We're arriving mid june in Hamilton, and we are in our 40's !
Do you remember us ? We talked on here about a year ago. We have two sons the same age as yours, who are probably gonna get bored with the house hunting this summer !
It would be nice to meet up at some point this summer and wind down over a coffee and let the boys have a bit of fun.
We are actually looking for a temporary rental, we're not having much success in finding something reasonable for the four of us and our two cats.

Miss Clinique Apr 30th 2009 2:22 pm

Hi

I will be arriving mid May. We have bought a house in Burlington - so my kettle will be on if you fancy a cuppa ;)

DHammond Apr 30th 2009 9:38 pm

Hi Jacq & Brian,

That sounds great, good luck with the move, you are so going to love it here and you are coming at a great time of the year.
l see you are from Kent, l was from Surrey but l was living in Essex when we left.
Tea, not sugar with milk!!
Keep in touch
Deb

Miss Clinique May 1st 2009 8:44 am

Originally Posted by DHammond (Post 7530806)
Hi Jacq & Brian,

That sounds great, good luck with the move, you are so going to love it here and you are coming at a great time of the year.
l see you are from Kent, l was from Surrey but l was living in Essex when we left.
Tea, not sugar with milk!!
Keep in touch
Deb

Thanks Deb - cant wait to go now, had the shippers round yesterday it all seems so real now!

I am bringing a stock of british tea bags with me and have told my family not to bother getting off the plane in Toronto if they have got tetley tea bags in their suit case.

TheGrizzlyHattons May 1st 2009 3:45 pm

Hi Jacq & Brian do you not like the Tetley tea here? ;)

I live just south of Burlington but do not fit in that age bracket :(

Miss Clinique May 1st 2009 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by TheGrizzlyHattons (Post 7532814)
Hi Jacq & Brian do you not like the Tetley tea here? ;)

I live just south of Burlington but do not fit in that age bracket :(

I think someone told me that you either cant get Tetley or it was only available in "English" shops and very expensive.

Is that not true? if not I wont bother running round like a lunatic stocking up

Simon Legree May 1st 2009 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian (Post 7532918)
I think someone told me that you either cant get Tetley or it was only available in "English" shops and very expensive.

Is that not true? if not I wont bother running round like a lunatic stocking up

Not true. It is readily available in just about any grocery store. Certainly in Superstore and Sobeys. It is no more expensive than other brands. I have been buying it for many many years.