Reload this Page >

Burlington to Markham commute

Wikiposts

Burlington to Markham commute

Old Jun 22nd 2014, 7:06 am
Just Joined

Zimscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Burlington to Markham commute

This is a great forum! So much useful info, huge thanks to everyone! So a few new options to research and a couple of people with local knowledge to contact. Better get cracking :-)
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 8:17 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zimscot
This is a great forum! So much useful info, huge thanks to everyone! So a few new options to research and a couple of people with local knowledge to contact. Better get cracking :-)
I was just on realtor.ca because a house on my street has put up a for sale sign and I'm keeping up with that stuff at the moment, and I thought of this thread.

Have a gander at this N2936121, 333 BLUE GRASS BLVD, Richmond Hill, Ontario L4C3H3

$1400 is a snip. I know the area well and it's fine if not palatial. Close to Crosby PS which is very good and Bayview HS which is fine. I'd not balk at taking a one year rental there if I was commuting to Markham and wanting to get to know the area before buying. Note, all these bungalows have basements but it sounds as if that one is rented separately. (Hence the low rent).
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot, Novocastrian, the place looks very interesting, especially as you say you know the area and there is a good primary nearby! Shall I contact the realtor listed in the link, or is it a good idea to look for one with recommendations?
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 9:32 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot, Novocastrian, the place looks very interesting, especially as you say you know the area and there is a good primary nearby! Shall I contact the realtor listed in the link, or is it a good idea to look for one with recommendations?
I know the PS because my eldest went there, not because we live close by, but because Crosby hosts the gifted programme for a large part of RH. It's one of the best and probably walking distance from that rental (caveat: in winter?).

In addition our very close friends owned a similar bungalow in the same general area for years until they upgraded elsewhere in the town.

For a rental, I don't much see the point of using a separate realtor. If it suits, make an enquiry through the website.

BTW, when are you arriving?
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you find out how the utilities are split if the basement is leased separately. Sometimes each unit has it's own meter and sometimes it's shared.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Already here, staying in Burlington with a friend but not commuting anywhere yet, hence no clue. Family joining in September. Must get a place for them soon. Our girl is rather bright,and that school sounds good! I've e-mailed realtor to arrange a viewing. Thank you very much Novocastrian! I'm sure I'll have more questions once I've had a look around there, so will pm you as you kindly offered.
Very good point about utilities, many thanks!
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

That rental certainly looks good, particularly as it's close to what's obviously a good school. One downside of Brooklin is the scarcity of rental houses. I have sent you a pm on some general education pointers which may be of interest.

You're certainly getting the advice of some regulars here - we were out in Toronto with Novo and HGerchikov on Friday evening - we've met on a couple of occasions previously and it's nice to have an occasional meetup with other British expats - check out the meet ups part of the forum.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I know the PS because my eldest went there, not because we live close by, but because Crosby hosts the gifted programme for a large part of RH. It's one of the best and probably walking distance from that rental (caveat: in winter?).

In addition our very close friends owned a similar bungalow in the same general area for years until they upgraded elsewhere in the town.

For a rental, I don't much see the point of using a separate realtor. If it suits, make an enquiry through the website.

BTW, when are you arriving?
If you only want to see one place then you may as well just call the listing agent, if you want to look at 3 or 4 it might be worth picking a local realtor as they can show you all the places together, much easier than trying to coordinate with 4 different people. Real estate agents here can show you any property listed through any brokerage, not just their own listings.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 10:47 am
Just Joined

That's very useful. Just remembering the pain of trying to coordinate viewings of multiple properties listed with different agencies in the UK.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 12:04 pm
Born again atheist

That's very useful. Just remembering the pain of trying to coordinate viewings of multiple properties listed with different agencies in the UK.
One additional point, next Thursday is the last day of the school year in York Region. If you want to visit the school, do it before then.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

I never thought of it, my mind must be still tuned UK style - a month to the end of school year. Thanks a lot for the reminder!