Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BUNAC VISA and Vancouver

Wikiposts

BUNAC VISA and Vancouver

Old May 30th 2010, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default BUNAC VISA and Vancouver

I'm a 25 year old graduate from England. I have secured a 12 month work permit for Canada which will be released to me as soon as I book my flights and insurance. Thoughts on best and cheapest airlines and insurance. Have heard Canadian Affair/Air Transat for flights and then ACE for insurance. Bearing in mind I need to book my return flight a year in advance or get one that won't cost a fortune to amend return flight date.

I'm planning to head out to Vancouver in November and hoping to get interning experience and eventual work in casting for TV/Film, have started emailing casting agencies and casting directors in hopes of getting an intership when I get out there.

Where do you think would be a good place to find a place to rent, I don't drive so would have to rely on buses and skytrain.

I did live in Vancouver 2 years ago as part of my year abroad for university and rented a room in a house off nainamo and pender which was nice and central sadly my landlady passed away at the beginning of this year so cannot return there.

Also how much money should I try and bring I think minimum like $500 but hoping to have saved £2000 by November

Planning on bringing the following toiletries/food items and wondered if these will be ok and if they will need declaring (I think everything has to be right including biscuits and chocolate right?)

Imperial leather foamburst showergel (aerosol)
dove deodorant (aerosol) am allergic to roll on and last time was in vancouver found it almost impossible to find aerosol deodorants everthing was roll on
Marmite
some chocolate
Bourbons, custard creams and choc digestive biscuits
walkers sensation crisps
batchelors super noodles
baked beans

Any advice greatly appreciated

Nikki
Old May 30th 2010, 11:49 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BUNAC VISA and Vancouver

$500 is just not enough for Vancouver unless you have somewhere free to stay lined up. $2000 isn't going to last very long either; your first months rent + deposit will eat a chunk of that before you live/eat etc.

To get an idea of rental costs take a look at craigslist or kijji - as you lived here before you'll know to avoid the DTES, but everywhere else should be ok.

Kiwilass that posts on here has contacts in the TV and film industry - hopefully she'll read this and advise.
Old May 30th 2010, 12:00 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk

dove deodorant (aerosol) am allergic to roll on and last time was in vancouver found it almost impossible to find aerosol deodorants everthing was roll on
Marmite
some chocolate
walkers sensation crisps
batchelors super noodles
baked beans

Nikki
Sorry can't give any specific advice re Van, however just want to say I love how specific the things you are bringing with you are - made me laugh
Old May 30th 2010, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Sorry can't give any specific advice re Van, however just want to say I love how specific the things you are bringing with you are - made me laugh
they just my fave things that not the same in van i lived there before and when i ran out of the toiletries couldn't get more. parents sent a care package and they were removed. I wonder if they sent them surface mail they would remove aerosols?
Old May 31st 2010, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

they just my fave things that not the same in van i lived there before and when i ran out of the toiletries couldn't get more. parents sent a care package and they were removed. I wonder if they sent them surface mail they would remove aerosols?
Any idea which airlines who fly to Vancouver have the most baggage allowance or the cheapest excess baggage?
Old May 31st 2010, 5:11 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea which airlines who fly to Vancouver have the most baggage allowance or the cheapest excess baggage?
As a general rule of thumb, the more expensive your ticket the more generous your baggage allowance. The Transat/Canadian Affair flights will be a lot less generous than full-service carriers; and for those carriers a business class ticket will give you a better baggage allowance (and potentially a more lenient view of excess baggage) than a seat in the back of the bus.

Cheap flights and excess baggage do not make comfortable bedfellows
Old May 31st 2010, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
As a general rule of thumb, the more expensive your ticket the more generous your baggage allowance. The Transat/Canadian Affair flights will be a lot less generous than full-service carriers; and for those carriers a business class ticket will give you a better baggage allowance (and potentially a more lenient view of excess baggage) than a seat in the back of the bus.

Cheap flights and excess baggage do not make comfortable bedfellows
Thing is I don't think I can afford to fly business my budget for flight is around £650 other wise I will have no money to pay for my food accommodation for first few months until I get a job in Vancouver. Seing as most of those flights cost over £1000
Old May 31st 2010, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

kamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud of

I'm a 25 year old graduate from England. I have secured a 12 month work permit for Canada which will be released to me as soon as I book my flights and insurance. Thoughts on best and cheapest airlines and insurance. Have heard Canadian Affair/Air Transat for flights and then ACE for insurance. Bearing in mind I need to book my return flight a year in advance or get one that won't cost a fortune to amend return flight date.

I'm planning to head out to Vancouver in November and hoping to get interning experience and eventual work in casting for TV/Film, have started emailing casting agencies and casting directors in hopes of getting an intership when I get out there.

Where do you think would be a good place to find a place to rent, I don't drive so would have to rely on buses and skytrain.

I did live in Vancouver 2 years ago as part of my year abroad for university and rented a room in a house off nainamo and pender which was nice and central sadly my landlady passed away at the beginning of this year so cannot return there.

Also how much money should I try and bring I think minimum like $500 but hoping to have saved £2000 by November

Planning on bringing the following toiletries/food items and wondered if these will be ok and if they will need declaring (I think everything has to be right including biscuits and chocolate right?)

Marmite
some chocolate
walkers sensation crisps
batchelors super noodles
baked beans

Nikki
Honest is this a wind up ? You have a degree from a university and your 25 , if these are the kind of questions you think are important then you need to go back to school, Bourbons + $500 ? when you spent a year in Vancouver before where you with your parents ? I dont mean to be harsh but you sound like a wee lamb heading for the slaughter, how much money did you munch threw when you where there for your gap year ? I bet it was way over $5000 and thats just starbucks and subways, you need a credit card these days , dont even think about getting on any plane unless you have paid work lined up or $2000+ in your pocket and a flexible ticket,
Old May 31st 2010, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kamikaze
Honest is this a wind up ? You have a degree from a university and your 25 , if these are the kind of questions you think are important then you need to go back to school, Bourbons + $500 ? when you spent a year in Vancouver before where you with your parents ? I dont mean to be harsh but you sound like a wee lamb heading for the slaughter, how much money did you munch threw when you where there for your gap year ? I bet it was way over $5000 and thats just starbucks and subways, you need a credit card these days , dont even think about getting on any plane unless you have paid work lined up or $2000+ in your pocket and a flexible ticket,
I said that BUNAC said their minimum was $500 I plan to take around £3000 which is $4500. No I was renting a place in Brighton for $530 a month and working 20 hours a week to pay my own way through university. I also worked full time during my gap year to fund my first year as my parents could not afford to help me. I wasn't in Vancouver for a gap year I was there studying at Simon Fraser University I actually came back with half my student loan as I didn't really spend that much money when I was out there which meant I never used my overdraft for my final year. I don't drink coffee so never went to starbucks. I'm currently looking for a job right now and have 6 months to line something up. I also have an interest free overdraft and 3 credit cards which I don't plan to use unless absolutely necessary
Old May 31st 2010, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

kamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud of

Good Girl, I was only testing you, good luck with the spray on..........carry on
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:58 am
Just Joined

richelleM is an unknown quantity at this point

wow you really are dead serious about going there, you even listed the items to bring. you are planning to stay there for a full year, right? there are visa rewards credit cards in Canada, having one might help you ^_^
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

You can't get credit if you're on a work permit.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:00 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Yes you can.

I had a mortgage, line of credit facility, vehicle leases, equipment loans and credit cards while on a work permit.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:26 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Originally Posted by R I C H
Yes you can.

I had a mortgage, line of credit facility, vehicle leases, equipment loans and credit cards while on a work permit.
Quite. So did I. Except the equipment loans - my equipment is all my own
Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:27 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
Yes you can.

With all due respect, what you were able to get a couple of years ago is not the same as what's available now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.