Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bunac/Endsleigh 1 Year Travel Insurance - Overpriced?

Bunac/Endsleigh 1 Year Travel Insurance - Overpriced?

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 10:12 am
Just Joined

RobinMcDougal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bunac/Endsleigh 1 Year Travel Insurance - Overpriced?

Hey guys,

Recently I received my 1 year working holiday visa; Work Authorisation Approval Letter from Bunac so that is awesome and I'm really pumped.
But now I have to decide what I am going to do about travel insurance.
On the Bunac website, they endlessly refer you to the cover provided by the Bunac/Endsleigh programme (£450 for the year). Though for myself as money is tight, I want to check out some other companies and see if there is a better deal. But I dont know what is a good insurance price, is Endsleigh reasonable? o
Or is it worth me shopping around, bearing in mind that I have to have a policy that Bunac will approve, before they will release my Authorisation. Which means the alternative policy has to confirm to a number of points Bunac are requesting as 'must-haves' for the work related side of the insurance.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice
Default Re: Bunac/Endsleigh 1 Year Travel Insurance - Overpriced?

I'm afraid we didn't really shop around. My partner went with the "easy" route and took out his insurance through Bunac/Endsleigh. He actually ended up having to place a claim with them about 2/3 of the way through the year (broke his wrist), and they weren't too bad to deal with. Read the policies closely so that you know what they do/don't cover, not to mention 'little' things like the fact that if there is a problem, they have the right to require to you return to the UK for treatment should they choose (if the cost is going to be too much in Canada I guess). They covered his x-rays, orthopedic surgeon appts etc here, but he didn't have any "excessive" costs. That said, with just one broken wrist, we pretty much broke even cost wise between what he would have paid out of pocket and what the insurance cost through them (and that was when the exchange rate was higher!).
Old Apr 24th 2010, 3:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

What you need is a "Gap year" insurance policy which allows you to work / travel / take part in sports for a year.

This website has various companies which provide this type of policy.

e.g.

http://www.flexicover.co.uk/Gap_Year_Travel_Insurance

Travel insurance that is ideal for the Gap Year traveller or those going overseas to study. Includes automatic cover for over 100 sports and activities including bungee jumping, scuba diving and white water rafting, as well as proving cover for certain types of work, including bar and restaurant work, clerical work, fruit/vegetable picking and voluntary work. This flexible policy allows for temporary returns home without invalidating the policy and can be upgraded to include cover for computer equipment (up to £1,000), as well as cover for course fees for overseas students. Cover is available for those aged between 16 and 45 years.

For a basic gap year policy it was £178 or £226 with 3 months winter sports cover ... up to the "gold" policy that was £400

You should compare each policy with the bunac one and see how they compare.

Policy prices vary from company to company and the winter sports cover, but none were as expensive as the one you were quoted.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 24th 2010 at 3:35 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies guys!

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of using a differing policy on their work canada holiday? Lots and lots for me to look through now and have already found a few that look good, just gotta get bunac to agree with me now
Old Apr 24th 2010, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

Originally Posted by RobinMcDougal
Thanks for the replies guys!

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of using a differing policy on their work canada holiday? Lots and lots for me to look through now and have already found a few that look good, just gotta get bunac to agree with me now
Hey Robin, I have the Flexicover gap year policy and I haven't had any problems with them, nice to talk to and keep you updated with emails and stuff, easily the most resonably priced too! Generally the BUNAC insurance is considered over priced. They do recommend that you go for the slightly more expensive Flexicover policy as it covers different kinds of work but unless you're planning on working at a building site I don't imagine it being a problem!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Rodge9 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went with STA myself, were very helpful on the phone (which others were too, but some certainly weren't), but more importantly because they included quite a lot under standard sports and activities cover. I looked into a few options as I knew I wanted to at least have rugby, football, snowboarding and climbing covered and various other insurers added quite a lot to cover some or all of those (classing them as potentially dangerous or something), which STA didn't. Think it was around £350.

If sports and actvities aren't that important to you though there are cheaper options around (ACE for example).
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

Recently I received my 1 year working holiday visa; Work Authorisation Approval Letter from Bunac so that is awesome and I'm really pumped.
But now I have to decide what I am going to do about travel insurance.
On the Bunac website, they endlessly refer you to the cover provided by the Bunac/Endsleigh programme (£450 for the year). Though for myself as money is tight, I want to check out some other companies and see if there is a better deal. But I dont know what is a good insurance price, is Endsleigh reasonable? o
Or is it worth me shopping around, bearing in mind that I have to have a policy that Bunac will approve, before they will release my Authorisation. Which means the alternative policy has to confirm to a number of points Bunac are requesting as 'must-haves' for the work related side of the insurance.
I know a lot of people that have gone with ACE insurance and had it accepted by BUNAC. They generally seem to be about £200

http://www.aceinsure.com/travel/
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
I know a lot of people that have gone with ACE insurance and had it accepted by BUNAC. They generally seem to be about £200

http://www.aceinsure.com/travel/
Thanks for the all the responses guys, I have had a look and provisionally chosen the ACE cover, just emailed Bunac now, so hopefully they will confirm its all good in a couple of days, and then I can book my ticket wooho.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the all the responses guys, I have had a look and provisionally chosen the ACE cover, just emailed Bunac now, so hopefully they will confirm its all good in a couple of days, and then I can book my ticket wooho.
Just make sure you're aware of what it covers. I think you have to pay extra for extreme sports, just incase you were planning on hitting the snow whilst there
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

d20awy is an unknown quantity at this point

hey, i also got my visa recently - can't wait!

We are looking for insurance that covers for off piste skiing? Anyone know a premium that covers this?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

cyclopes is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it was compulsory to go with the Endsleigh option when I came over (5 years ago). In that scenario, the cheat was to buy 1 month with Endsleigh then go get your own cover for the remainder.