Bugs

Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:55 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold
Default Bugs

I think we got off lightly last year (my first summer in AB). The mozzies have called in reinforcements this year. If I let them bite me enough times will I become immune?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:58 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bugs

Originally Posted by agr
If I let them bite me enough times will I become immune?
Its not a recommended strategy!

I found over time I react less and less to them, but I figure thats time not cumulative bite count! 'till ten douse on the Deet
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

I've got a left leg somewhere underneath all the bites. Cricket in Alberta isn't the same as cricket in the UK...
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

snow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by agr
I think we got off lightly last year (my first summer in AB). The mozzies have called in reinforcements this year. If I let them bite me enough times will I become immune?
It's like living in the jungle in Edmonton at the moment! Read in the newspaper that the mozzies have multiplied because of recent wet weather. People are deserting the golf course after a couple of holes, forget going to the dog park or you just get a mouthful of 'em!

Never experienced mozzie bites like this anywhere in the world. Getting a pet bat is supposed to help as they eat up all the mozzies? Any other mozzie tips very welcome
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
If I let them bite me enough times will I become immune?
Let us know how you get on with that
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:41 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snow valley
Any other mozzie tips very welcome
We don't get many here, but I use this when moving irrigation in the early evening, and it seems to work a treat: http://www.muskol.com/en/home/
Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:05 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

smother yourself in tea tree oil - they dont like that! an if you do get bitten an you itch it til the skin breaks dap on some vinigar ...... the stinging you get from that is nice - or am i abnormal?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

david_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nice

i was playing soccer a few days ago here in calgary and ive never seen anything like it. there were swarms of mozzies flying around!

3 days later my legs are very itchy
Old Jul 31st 2010, 3:22 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

The mozzies are horrendous this year, imagine walking dog across grassy area, dog takes dump, dog owner collects dump in poop bag, mozzies are already in attack mode, owner has sprayed every inch of visible flesh apart from face with Deep Woods Off, owner is trying to swat away mozzies with leash in one hand poop bag in other. We got off the grassy area pdq and walked the back lanes instead today.

There was an announcement on the radio about two weeks ago saying that because of the unusually wet weather the mosquito populations will be uncontrolably high and to make sure you have deet products to use. The shelves are almost empty of the stuff. I reckon the City have sprayed once and that's yer lot
Old Jul 31st 2010, 3:48 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

We got bit quite a lot at the trailer in Wasaga last weekend, but in Toronto, and here on the east side, Whitby, Pickering not many about really.
Don't get me wrong, there are mozzies, but not swarms like you guys are getting.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr

I doubt it.

I have been bitten every year for the last 4 summers and am still not immune to them - I react really badly - huge, itchy lumps.

Also, one thing to watch out for if you do get bitten... I recently had an enormous lump from a bite behind my left knee. It was getting bigger and bigger and turned a nasty purple/blueish colour and was spreading up and down my leg - turned out I had a deep tissue infection from it that needed antibiotic treatment (the doctor was in 2 minds as to whether I should go to the hospital!).

I would never let myself get bitten on purpose after that... and it is worth remembering taht if a bite starts to go "nasty" get yourself to the docs for treatment.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chookie
I doubt it.

I have been bitten every year for the last 4 summers and am still not immune to them - I react really badly - huge, itchy lumps.

Also, one thing to watch out for if you do get bitten... I recently had an enormous lump from a bite behind my left knee. It was getting bigger and bigger and turned a nasty purple/blueish colour and was spreading up and down my leg - turned out I had a deep tissue infection from it that needed antibiotic treatment (the doctor was in 2 minds as to whether I should go to the hospital!).

I would never let myself get bitten on purpose after that... and it is worth remembering taht if a bite starts to go "nasty" get yourself to the docs for treatment.
I agree with Chookie, I have been bitten terribly for the last 3 summers (especially bad after the damp summer of 2008, they were biting me through my jeans in Yellowstone!) and my doc back home warned that, as I tend to be susceptible to blood poisoning I ought to be especially wary when bitten as they can get really infected. First one of this year turned into a golf ball sized lump on my shin which was in a perfect position for me to itch in my sleep, 3 months on an I have a lovely purple scar. Wonderful.
If you can avoid being bitten, avoid it. Don't forget, though it's rare enough, mossies can carry some pretty gross bacteria.

Last edited by Lethe; Jul 31st 2010 at 5:34 am.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi

We've been getting them here to in the UK, small but still very annoying. I dread to think what it'll be like with swarms!! OH GOD

Think I'll order up some 'Muskol' lotion.

Angela
Old Jul 31st 2010, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
We don't get many here, but I use this when moving irrigation in the early evening, and it seems to work a treat: http://www.muskol.com/en/home/
I used to always find the Muskol good but for some reason last year it seemed to act more as an attractant for the nippers - Citronella seems to be working for me this year and it seems to smell a bit better than the usual gear
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

BC15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by magnumpi
We got bit quite a lot at the trailer in Wasaga last weekend, but in Toronto, and here on the east side, Whitby, Pickering not many about really.
Don't get me wrong, there are mozzies, but not swarms like you guys are getting.
Here in Oakville we seem to be lucky this year - we've been sitting in our garden in the evenings without being pestered by mosquitoes. Very unusual!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.