Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Budgeting for Canada

Budgeting for Canada

Old Apr 9th 2020, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

jproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budgeting for Canada

Originally Posted by GC44 View Post
Have you looked at the Medicine Hat region of AB? .
We've found some lovely properties around Medicine Hat and it seems like a great town. Work would be my only concern, there doesn't seem to be many jobs listed for my work.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

pawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jproberts View Post
We've found some lovely properties around Medicine Hat and it seems like a great town. Work would be my only concern, there doesn't seem to be many jobs listed for my work.
I really like medicine hat too. It's got some great areas and we love travelling there for sports.
But it's cheaper because employment has been suffering there for the last few years. I believe it's doing a lot worse than the Alberta average which isn't great.

Old Apr 9th 2020, 8:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I triple checked with Sask and they made it just as clear as Alberta about having to be a resident. It's completely ruined our chances of PR through FST from the UK. We've accepted that we're just going to have to go over on IEC and then sit the exam, gain a years work experience and have a job offer for PR.
My query for Siouxie though (or Atlantic Xpat, or any other member with knowledge of the 'Red Seal') is whether that's the right route you're looking at. For the AINP you linked to before I thought it was the wrong one, it was for those wanting to work there with a job offer rather than just get provincial certification, and above for SK it says 'Interprovincial Certification' which I don't believe is the same thing - but I don't know enough about it so am hoping one of the pros on the subject swoops in! It's just odd as we've had soooooo many forum members over the years (and recently) who've sat the exam in Canada with no issues at all even though they're not resident there.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that the slightly higher wages would make up for the cost of living in Alberta. I didn't realise that the difference was quite so drastic! For me it's all about being able to enjoy time with the family and having enough disposable income to do that so it's seeming more and more as if we've had our hearts set on one of the least suited provinces for us.
Shrewd comment this. It was said above that some may find it easier to enjoy Canada living outside the country because the paid holidays are so low and the daily cost of living can be quite high. One of my wife's thoughts about moving here was to be able to cpend more time with her family, for example. She has seen lots of her parents (due to living in the same province) but doesn't see anyone else any more than when we lived in the UK.

As you said in another post, you really do need to work out why you want to come here, why you want to leave the UK (having also maybe looked elsewhere in the UK), cos you have to be a lot happier with daily life, I think, that you (generally) need to be in the UK.