Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Budgeting for Canada

Budgeting for Canada

Old Apr 8th 2020, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

jproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budgeting for Canada

That's another great way to look at it thanks dbd33, if we could somehow make it work during a 'bust' scenario, then we'd be in a much better position when things inevitably pick up again.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

pawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jproberts
Wouldn't that include SK and BC though?
Yep. If you look at the last election results map and it's a clear sea of blue from Sask and right over to half of BC apart from basically Vancouver area.
East/west Canada is such a huge divide and such poor representation in federal politics I can't see an easy solution.
It's pretty annoying being in the west and having the election results called before polls have even closed in our provinces.

There is a real growing movement out here for separation. Sask would be keen too, and much of BC.
Whether is happens is another question. But the current system is very broken and it might have finally bought down Canada.
The liberal government is openly out to destroy western industry. Despite oil demand likely to continue to rise for the next 30+ years. Unfortunately for Canada industry pays the bills. But now it seems the new norm is for the country to just pay the bills using the credit card, but it's all good according to the liberal government.
Also the international oil prices are killing what little Alberta industry remains. So it's a double whammy.

Sorry about the negativity. But it's not all sunshine and roses here like it used to be. Hence we want to come back to the UK. I would definitely not be hoping to succeed in industry in Alberta today.
​​​​​​
Old Apr 8th 2020, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

That's another great way to look at it thanks dbd33, if we could somehow make it work during a 'bust' scenario, then we'd be in a much better position when things inevitably pick up again.
Have you been to Canada? If so, where did you go and what did you like about it?
Old Apr 8th 2020, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

pawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, hold on a minute. People in Alberta dig things out of the ground. The price of things in the ground goes up and down. When it's up Alberta is rich, when it's down Alberta is not. It's been boom and bust in Alberta since before the Liberal government was born. "Mailing the keys back" when the mortgage can't be paid is an Alberta tradition. Moving home when it goes bust again is also a tradition. I daresay blaming the Federal government is also an Alberta tradition.

That's not all bad for the OP. A bust could be a good time to buy.
And deliberately shutting down Canada's biggest industry despite world demand going up is a good idea for prosperity is it?

Alberta as an independent nation would be one of the richest on the planet. And ironically would have an easier time getting their products to the world market.

But Trudeau et al are more interested in woke point scoring than real policy. Eastern Canada will wake up when they have to start paying their own bills.
I did say if he could ride out the crash and buy low it would be a good idea.
But being a millwright is not a likely good path to ride out such a crash.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

jproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to Canada? If so, where did you go and what did you like about it?
We had a trip booked to Calgary in May, obviously that's been cancelled now but we've got the flight credit back so i'll be looking to rebook as soon as this is over. Possibly not to Calgary though, it depends on what we decide in the new few months. We've had our hearts set on Alberta for the last 2/3 years.

The things that drew us to Alberta / Calgary was what I believed to be good job prospects for me which i'm thinking I may have got wrong. Also the no provincial sales tax is a bonus right? The mountains were a huge plus as I do enjoy skiing and the wife love hiking but i'm sure that's doable elsewhere?
Old Apr 8th 2020, 10:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pawxpaw
And deliberately shutting down Canada's biggest industry despite world demand going up is a good idea for prosperity is it?

Alberta as an independent nation would be one of the richest on the planet. And ironically would have an easier time getting their products to the world market.

But Trudeau et al are more interested in woke point scoring than real policy. Eastern Canada will wake up when they have to start paying their own bills.
I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with all this Western jargon. Could you please explain "virtue signalling" and "woke" in terms of economic policy?

Old Apr 8th 2020, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with all this Western jargon. Could you please explain "virtue signalling" and "woke" in terms of economic policy?
Simply Trudeau wants to shut down oil production in his grand empty gesture to climate change. While simultaneously buying the exact same product at a higher price from some despotic regime elsewhere in the world that has less stringent environmental practices and has to be shipped half way around the world. All so he can virtue signal how wonderful he is to his woke supporters. So he has the double success of destroying his own country's prosperity, helping another's to prosper and having a net negative impact on the world environmentally.

And no I don't work in oil and gas. But I do realise it's stupid as a country to destroy its main source of income. But what can we expect from an idiot who thinks budgets balance themselves??

Old Apr 8th 2020, 10:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Can we please address the questions that the OP has made and NOT turn this into yet another (yawn) Political discussion.
Thank you.

Any further Politics related posts that have no relevance to the OP's questions may be removed.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Just another observation compared to the research i've been doing in AB. House prices in Ontario seem considerably more expensive, both to buy and rent? Or maybe i'm using the wrong websites?
Old Apr 8th 2020, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pawxpaw

How would this independent country get its oil to market?
Old Apr 8th 2020, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We had a trip booked to Calgary in May, obviously that's been cancelled now but we've got the flight credit back so i'll be looking to rebook as soon as this is over. Possibly not to Calgary though, it depends on what we decide in the new few months. We've had our hearts set on Alberta for the last 2/3 years.

The things that drew us to Alberta / Calgary was what I believed to be good job prospects for me which i'm thinking I may have got wrong. Also the no provincial sales tax is a bonus right? The mountains were a huge plus as I do enjoy skiing and the wife love hiking but i'm sure that's doable elsewhere?
If you want peaks like the Rockies you will have to look at Alberta or B.C.

If you make it here for a reccie trip, I will be happy to meet up and show you our place?

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Apr 9th 2020 at 12:00 am.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Just another observation compared to the research i've been doing in AB. House prices in Ontario seem considerably more expensive, both to buy and rent? Or maybe i'm using the wrong websites?
That probably depends on where in Ontario.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

That probably depends on where in Ontario.
I've been searching for within an hours drive of London, Toronto, Hamilton, Ottowa etc.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

If you make it here for a recipe trip, I will be happy to meet up and show you our place?
That'd be amazing thank you! I'll take you up on the offer when all of this has settled down.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 11:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There's really only one website, realtor.ca. I'd be very surprised if the populated parts of Alberta were markedly cheaper than the area around London ON. That's very cheap. Flat but cheap.

Apolitically, what possesses adults to use "woke" as if it was a word? It's nearly always older people, second amendment types. I wonder where on earth they pick it up,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.