Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Budgeting for Canada

Budgeting for Canada

Old Apr 8th 2020, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budgeting for Canada

Originally Posted by jproberts
I've been searching for within an hours drive of London, Toronto, Hamilton, Ottowa etc.
Try realtor.ca - it has most properties listed for sale on it
An hour north of Toronto and Hamilton is going to be a challenge at the $500k mark but should be possible north of London and Ottawa I would have thought. I spent some time about 90 mins north.of Ottawa and property there was cheap.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

pawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
How would this independent country get its oil to market?
​​​​​​The same way any other landlocked country does. There are international treaties that allow for passage of goods, ironically with more ease than in the current federal system.
But those who are pushing for Western separation seem to include BC. So then it would be an irrelevant question.

Back to topic. Property around Toronto is very expensive, Ottawa less so.

Another thought for Alberta is further south around crossnest pass area. Much cheaper than Calgary. In the mountains, easy access into BC for more outdoors fun. And as a millwright some good opportunities at the likes of the Teck coal mines in Sparwood.
In fact you'd feel right at home. It's very similar to the south wales valleys in some ways.
Great skiing in Fernie and castle.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 10:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great in principle, other than the fact that we'd be looking at £500,000+ for anything anywhere near what we've found in Canada. Also the rain!
£500k+ may be achievable in the UK though if you do it on a commercial mortgage, rather than a standard residential one. No idea what you're planning on doing with all of your acres, but if it's something like farming or a livery yard, and your figures stack up, you could borrow that or much more. A commercial mortgage is rather like a buy to let, in that your personal income isn't actually relevant, it's all about potential return on your investment.

Doesn't help with the rain or the mountains though of course!
Old Apr 9th 2020, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all! With all of the spare time on our hands due to Covid and the lack of progress with our application, i've been double checking through our budget for Canada. We're aiming to live within an hours drive of Calgary so anyone with specific experience around Calgary / Alberta would be great. I know that everyones costs will vary but I just wanted to post what I have written in our budget so far and see if i'm massively over/under estimating anything? Could also be useful for future reference for others looking to make the move.

Rent / Mortgage : $1800
Property Taxes: $140
Home insurance: $40
Gas & Elec: $250
Mobile Phones: $75
TV & Internet: $100
Groceries: $500
Restaurant & Take-aways: $150
Life Insurance: $40
Car Finance / Lease: $350
Car Insurance: $250?!
Fuel: $250
Skiing: $100
Haircuts: £30
Clothing: $100
Dog Food: $30
Flights back home to UK once per year: $125

Any advice on anything i'm massively out with would be great. Either way we're off to Canada, just want to have our eyes as open as possible. Especially being a one-wage household of 4.
We live on an acreage ( Manitoba ), home insurance initially was $2000 per year. We did what all the locals did and go to the local broker. Something that we would never have done in the UK but eventually we saw sense, went online and got the same if not slightly better cover for just under $1000. I'm pretty sure Alberta is one of the few provinces where there is fairly healthy competition when it come to insurances etc. Manitoba ain't one of them.
Not sure what dog you have but unless it's an ankle nipper or your planning on feeding it Walmarts finest then you should double you dog food budget.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't that include SK and BC though?
And MB
Old Apr 9th 2020, 2:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
My suggestion is that you look for an acreage with a paved driveway. If you have one with a gravel driveway then, in the winter, you will use an expensive machine to blast that gravel all over the lawn and then, at about this time of the year, you will have to put it all back again using your hands and, possibly, a rake.
Hah! This strikes a chord. First few years in our place - which is only an acre but with a 200ft drive - was that we couldn't use a snow blower to clear the snow because of the gravel so either had to shovel or get a plow in. The plow would scrape all the stone chips up and dump them on the lawn and yes, every spring we'd have to rake the bloody stuff off the lawn. Paving the drive was the best thing we've ever done.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Hah! This strikes a chord. First few years in our place - which is only an acre but with a 200ft drive - was that we couldn't use a snow blower to clear the snow because of the gravel so either had to shovel or get a plow in. The plow would scrape all the stone chips up and dump them on the lawn and yes, every spring we'd have to rake the bloody stuff off the lawn. Paving the drive was the best thing we've ever done.
I bet that was eye-wateringly expensive!
Old Apr 9th 2020, 4:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Food for thought..
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...nsay-rm-no-342
https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel...2&Currency=CAD
https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Farms...hanged=&ajax=1
https://www.farmmarketer.com/findpro...owFilters=True

https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...14700/geo29307

Don't forget you will need to have your Certificate of Qualification to work as a Millwright in any Province (each Province has it's own governing body).. some are a bit easier to get sorted than others
https://saskapprenticeship.ca/intern...ation-process/
https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/expe...ional-workers/
Old Apr 9th 2020, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

jproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie, will take a look through those this evening and reply to the other comments above. I've been accepted to sit my trade qualifier exam in Alberta already. Unfortunately I found out that you need to be a resident and employed in the trade to sit the exam. They've given me a permit to work in the trade for 12 months though as long as I successfully complete the exam in that time

It seems that I can't sit any provincial certificate of qualification exams before becoming a resident. Rules out FST for me really. Will have to be an IEC then Canadian Experience.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 5:43 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I bet that was eye-wateringly expensive!
About $7k from memory. That was back in 2009. Probably would have cost 4 times that a year or two ago but perhaps with oil basically being for free nowadays it might be a bit cheaper!
Old Apr 9th 2020, 6:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie, will take a look through those this evening and reply to the other comments above. I've been accepted to sit my trade qualifier exam in Alberta already. Unfortunately I found out that you need to be a resident and employed in the trade to sit the exam. They've given me a permit to work in the trade for 12 months though as long as I successfully complete the exam in that time

It seems that I can't sit any provincial certificate of qualification exams before becoming a resident. Rules out FST for me really. Will have to be an IEC then Canadian Experience.
I'm so glad you said this, it still doesn't sound right to me that you have to be a resident to take the exam for FST, but Siouxie is the woman in the know! I've been meaning to ask her to respond to your other thread about it. She should be able to confirm or clarify for you.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

jproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment we're thinking that our favourite provinces are:

1. AB
2. SK
3.MB / ON / BC

According to job bank though my best prospects are in:

1. QC (215 jobs) We don't speak any french
2.ON (75 jobs) Cost of living still seems high after abit of research and we're unsure if the climate is what we're looking for.
3. BC (27) + is still being near mountains. - is rain?
4. SK (7) We do like the look of SK and affordable rural housing still seems to be in commutable distance to Saskatoon or Regina.
5. AB (4) Our favourite province but job prospects look poor and affordable rural property seems like it'd be uncommutable.
6. MB (3) We like the look of MB, haven't done much research yet though. Although, if job prospects are worse than Alberta's then there doesn't seem much point.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

pawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond repute

1. AB
2. SK
3.MB / ON / BC

2.ON (75 jobs) Cost of living still seems high after abit of research and we're unsure if the climate is what we're looking for.
4. SK (7) We do like the look of SK and affordable rural housing still seems to be in commutable distance to Saskatoon or Regina.
5. AB (4) Our favourite province but job prospects look poor and affordable rural property seems like it'd be uncommutable.
6. MB (3) We like the look of MB, haven't done much research yet though. Although, if job prospects are worse than Alberta's then there doesn't seem much point.
Bc perhaps has the biggest variety of both climate and scenery/lifestyle in all Canada.
from Med like Victoria, to the deserts of southern interior, rugged mountains of mid BC toward Alberta border, to coal district in South west, to isolated forest and coast in the mid to northern parts.
For your lifestyle like I say crossnest pass or Fernie area could be a good fit.
We have family there and in northern BC. Industry in the north is taking a hit with lots of saw mills closing. But there are some growths in gold and similar mines. They are often week in week out kind of places for work.

Old Apr 9th 2020, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm so glad you said this, it still doesn't sound right to me that you have to be a resident to take the exam for FST, but Siouxie is the woman in the know! I've been meaning to ask her to respond to your other thread about it. She should be able to confirm or clarify for you.
I triple checked with Sask and they made it just as clear as Alberta about having to be a resident. It's completely ruined our chances of PR through FST from the UK. We've accepted that we're just going to have to go over on IEC and then sit the exam, gain a years work experience and have a job offer for PR.

Old Apr 9th 2020, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

1. AB
2. SK
3.MB / ON / BC

Have you looked at the Medicine Hat region of AB? Strangely my job in MB brings me into contact with a lot of guys who are from "the Hat" and they have mentioned a couple of times how cheap it is to live there.
I was there in 91 with the army so I was only interested in bars but we passed through a couple of times 2 years ago on our way to Calgary and it struck me as being a great little town which seemed to have a lot of facilities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.