Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brits are way friendlier than Canadians

Brits are way friendlier than Canadians

Old Sep 25th 2018, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Fynnley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brits are way friendlier than Canadians

Evening all, I have been living in Alberta for nearly 14 years (hope to move to The Island next year) and didn't go home once until 2012 and have now been back close to a dozen times. Whilst living in The U.K I was one of those people that thought Brits were miserable, unfriendly beings. I think this notion in someway comes from our garbage tabloids who like to stir the pot. For the first few years in Canada I found people pretty friendly, albeit in a superficial way. But since going back to The U.K many times over the years, I can say from my own personal experience, I find Brits much friendlier than Canadians. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy living here, but theres just something a bit odd about Canadians. I find them rather cold and extremely reserved. Which is ironic because Brits often get tainted with the reserved brush. My wife who is Canadian sees the same as I do. Literally every time we fly into Gatwick we are met with a smile and jovial banter from the Immigration officers, but upon our return to Calgary, cold, robotic and downright unfriendly.
Im not writing this post to slag off Canadians but just wanted to put my thoughts out there and see what your thoughts and experiences are.
Don't get me wrong, for the most part I do like Canadians, they are fairly mellow, mostly polite people and yes there are of course friendly people here, but by and large I just don't see the friendly Canadian stereotype that Canadians themselves talk about.
Discuss.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 1:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits are way friendlier than Canadians

Originally Posted by Fynnley
Discuss.
No
Old Sep 25th 2018, 1:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Worst part of leaving Canada for vacay is having to deal with CBSA on the return.

I find Canadians mostly polite but not very friendly.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

If you dislike Albertans then you might not like the Island too much, we're full of them.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 1:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have an opinion of Canadians, I haven't met enough of them to form one.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting post ...............

I wonder if your facial expressions as you re-enter Canada says something?? Or if it is just Calgary CBSA

We're almost invariably greeted with smiles and happy comments when re-entering Canada in Vancouver. Very friendly welcomes at the land border, also.

We have few Brit friends, they're nearly all Canadian with a few of other nationalities ............ and I find the Canadians generally more pleasant than the Brits!

Maybe it takes getting out and meeting Canadians on their grounds?
Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:36 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Is that you oink using one of your troll accounts?
Old Sep 25th 2018, 4:27 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve never really had an issue with CBSA except one officer when I return to Canada after a day out in Seattle, this was recently and he wanted know what exits off the i5 I visited, how long I had my car and who owned it - never had questions like that before so I’ve decided not to go for day trips again.

CBP on the otherhand...it’s 30/70 (70% chance you get someone talking to you like you’re a criminal).

The most friendliest place I’ve been to so far in Canada is Nova Scotia! You can’t beat the East Coasters!

Last edited by beckiwoo; Sep 25th 2018 at 4:32 am.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 5:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I’ve never really had an issue with CBSA except one officer when I return to Canada after a day out in Seattle, this was recently and he wanted know what exits off the i5 I visited, how long I had my car and who owned it - never had questions like that before so I’ve decided not to go for day trips again.

CBP on the otherhand...it’s 30/70 (70% chance you get someone talking to you like you’re a criminal).

The most friendliest place I’ve been to so far in Canada is Nova Scotia! You can’t beat the East Coasters!
Need a US passport....lol. I have a 90/5 with the US people, 90% chance of friendly and polite and limited questions and 5% for a grump. I really think the passport makes a difference sometimes,

CBSA is 50/50 with my dealings with them, inconsistency is my issue with them. One day I am told only to hand them my PR card and they dont need my passport, next time I do just that only to be told they want my passport as well, ffs make up your minds.

I've crossed into the US quite a lot of times where I have not been asked one question, just a hello and have a nice day but those times I am alone without my wife, they ask a bit more questions when she is with me.

Weirdest one was CBSA asking once if I bought anything in Oregon, so random, why Oregon? How about the things I bought in WA?
Old Sep 25th 2018, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who has lived in Canada for not far off 2 years now and is currently in the U.K. (manchester) for a 4 day work trip- i disagree.
I live in Calgary and have only ever had pleasant experiences with the Border guys. They’re always pleasant and have always chatted in a kind way. The guy we had to see when we came through the first time to get our work permits made the whole experience a lot more pleasant.
I’m from Newcastle (Tynemouth) originally and have found the level of friendliness to be the same- I like it. I can find myself chatting to strangers in almost all circumstances in both Calgary and Newcastle- I’ve also spent a fair bit of time in the Yukon, and found them to be even more friendly!

Flew in to Manchester on Saturday and had to listen to some disgusting racism on the tram into Manchester central- which i’ve been fortunate enough as to not hear before at that level. But it’s definitely not as friendly. Something my Canadian colleagues are finding as well- which has surprised them as they said they assumed Brits would be super friendly and accommodating.

Personal experiences and opinions are definitely that- but in this instance I do disagree.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 8:49 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
As someone who has lived in Canada for not far off 2 years now and is currently in the U.K. (manchester) for a 4 day work trip- i disagree.
I live in Calgary and have only ever had pleasant experiences with the Border guys. They’re always pleasant and have always chatted in a kind way. The guy we had to see when we came through the first time to get our work permits made the whole experience a lot more pleasant.
I’m from Newcastle (Tynemouth) originally and have found the level of friendliness to be the same- I like it. I can find myself chatting to strangers in almost all circumstances in both Calgary and Newcastle- I’ve also spent a fair bit of time in the Yukon, and found them to be even more friendly!

Flew in to Manchester on Saturday and had to listen to some disgusting racism on the tram into Manchester central- which i’ve been fortunate enough as to not hear before at that level. But it’s definitely not as friendly. Something my Canadian colleagues are finding as well- which has surprised them as they said they assumed Brits would be super friendly and accommodating.

Personal experiences and opinions are definitely that- but in this instance I do disagree.
I think friendliness and racism are two different things. People in major Canadian cities are very, very used to foreigners at this point and there probably is more racism against certain groups in UK cities than there is in equivalent areas of Canada.

I imagine rural Britain and Canada are probably much of a muchness in that regard though.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 9:51 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I think friendliness and racism are two different things. People in major Canadian cities are very, very used to foreigners at this point and there probably is more racism against certain groups in UK cities than there is in equivalent areas of Canada.

I imagine rural Britain and Canada are probably much of a muchness in that regard though.
That's not my experience. I never came across any immigrant related racism in rural BC - these places are often no less reliant on the Indian doctor, German cafe owner, Swiss salesman or English builder than more urban areas of Canada. If there was racism, it was most notably aimed at First Nations.

In rural Britain (north Cotswolds), where I've returned to, there's obvious and underlying racism against the Poles, Bulgarians, Lithuanians or whomever's deemed to be flavour of the month. Rural Britain struggles to embrace/accept cultural heterogenization far more than my experience of Canada.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 10:02 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
That's not my experience. I never came across any immigrant related racism in rural BC - these places are often no less reliant on the Indian doctor, German cafe owner, Swiss salesman or English builder than more urban areas of Canada. If there was racism, it was most notably aimed at First Nations.

In rural Britain (north Cotswolds), where I've returned to, there's obvious and underlying racism against the Poles, Bulgarians, Lithuanians or whomever's deemed to be flavour of the month. Rural Britain struggles to embrace/accept cultural heterogenization far more than my experience of Canada.
Well to be fair in the British countryside they don't even like outsiders from other parts of the UK. They're not likely going to take people from other countries into their bosom, especially if those people are workers from poorer countries and don't speak English natively. That's the main reason why I'm strictly a big city person when it comes to the UK.

I have heard minor horror stories from ethnically Indian and Chinese Canadian colleagues in the past about their experiences in rural Canada though but obviously Canada is a huge place.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 11:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Here, rural Ontario, it's not unusual for farmers not to speak well English. They're second sons who didn't inherit the farm in the Netherlands or Denmark or wherever. I don't know if they're racist against anyone but, as far as I can tell, no one is racist against them. There's a smattering of visible minorities, given that there aren't many people at all, there are proportionately likely as many Asian (either usage) and African looking people here as in Toronto and more of the latter than in Vancouver. Again, I don't hear any racism against them. That said, I'm English so it may be that the die hard Canadian nationalists just don't speak to me.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 12:02 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Well to be fair in the British countryside they don't even like outsiders from other parts of the UK....That's the main reason why I'm strictly a big city person when it comes to the UK.
Where's your personal experience of this drawn from? I've lived in Scotland, Wales, N.Yorks, Somerset, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire and never felt an outsider. I think you're just using stereotypes to justify your choice to live in a city rather than anything substantive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.