Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

For Brits selling up - HIPs are ditched!

For Brits selling up - HIPs are ditched!

Old May 22nd 2007, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

woofwoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For Brits selling up - HIPs are ditched!

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
What a load of numpties. A debacle that's been nothing if not predictable.

Just heard Ruth Kelly facing hoots of derision in the commons.

Apparently now not compulsary until at least August, and only then for properties with four or more bedrooms.

Breaking news so I don't have a link.

Cheers, Iain

If this doesn't prove its just another tax nothing does.
I've never voted in my life cos of stuff like this....I thought the whole idea of voting in politicians was so they did what you wanted them to do, not get in and then rip you off, I've not met one person yet that agrees with HIPS but the government still insist on bringing them in. Makes me wonder how many of these politicians have a financial interest in this scheme their usually is. Set of tossers (does it show I've got a 4 bedroom house :curse: )

Rant over
Old May 22nd 2007, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

My neighbours just had a replacement HIP, does she now have to buy a fourth bedroom?
Old May 22nd 2007, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sean Boxer
My neighbours just had a replacement HIP, does she now have to buy a fourth bedroom?
No........ but she'll have to have a thermometer shoved up her arse to test her energy efficiency
Old May 22nd 2007, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by woofwoof
No........ but she'll have to have a thermometer shoved up her arse to test her energy efficiency
lol:thumbsup :
Old May 22nd 2007, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

if they can afford a 4 bedroom house, means they are probably having the arse taxed off them already!!
Old May 22nd 2007, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough

How does this work then, I have a 5 bed but 1 is a study and the other is a games room
Old May 22nd 2007, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kevinm
How does this work then, I have a 5 bed but 1 is a study and the other is a games room
Good luck with that one...the only answer is to have your house on the market before the HIP comes into force.

Fortunately, we have sold already, however haven't exchanged contracts yet. Knowing my luck they will pull out after 1st August, leaving me to relist house and have to pay out for HIP.
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Do you know what makes my blood boil why only people with four bedroom and above. Do we pay less mortgage?. cheaper council tax perhaps?, are we less energy efficient. perhaps it suggests that we put less into society of course not they just assume that you have more money to waste as usual. Bigger house = more money in the bank.

I don't think so.:curse:

Thats my soap box moment.

Sandra
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

Do you think it will have any impact on the number of houses on the market? We are having real trouble selling because there are just so many houses for sale at the moment... We thought it was because of the imminent HIP, or will it now mean they will hang around longer because no one has to worry about selling before HIP comes along. Or I am over analysing and filling in time waiting to head out to Alberta where my hubby is already enjoying himself!!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

I hope so. Like you there has never been so many houses for sale in our area. My agent has been unable to cope with the rush and was in the last month taking on double the amount of properties per day than usual. In fact when I look on right move at our area it states that there are too many properties to list.

Sandra :curse:
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

Bad timing huh? last time we sold to move to Canmore it was a nightmare too. Fell through a week before we flew out. Roll on Canadian system, we have bought and sold two houses there with no problem at all.
Good luck with yours selling soon, will be nice to not have to keep it tidy all the time !! as well
Louise
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:00 pm
long hard slog...done it

SpeC will become famous soon enoughSpeC will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by woofwoof
If this doesn't prove its just another tax nothing does.
I've never voted in my life cos of stuff like this....I thought the whole idea of voting in politicians was so they did what you wanted them to do, not get in and then rip you off, I've not met one person yet that agrees with HIPS but the government still insist on bringing them in. Makes me wonder how many of these politicians have a financial interest in this scheme their usually is. Set of tossers (does it show I've got a 4 bedroom house :curse: )

Rant over
I've never voted in my life cos of stuff like this...... In which case you have no right, to rant about anything the 'in power' government does. As theoretically you have given them your vote by NOT voting. As your vote for the 'I'm the best party' in the world ever could have kept the elected government out.

I also have a 4 bedroomed house

Rant over
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SpeC
I've never voted in my life cos of stuff like this...... In which case you have no right, to rant about anything the 'in power' government does. As theoretically you have given them your vote by NOT voting. As your vote for the 'I'm the best party' in the world ever could have kept the elected government out.

Rant over
I new it was all my fault

Ahhhhhhhhhhh ???? but then again I can rant cos I wouldn't vote for any party cos there all as bad as each other ,so that means with not voting at all I've given them all a vote which means I can moan about them all..............(what the hell am I on about )
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:52 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpeC
No, you have a partition between one large bedroom.....

If the government are trying to look at the larger properties first, with the assumptions that a) owners of larger properties can better afford HIPs and b) larger properties' energy efficiency makes more difference than smaller properties', then they should have set a limit on square footage rather than bedrooms.

So either they bungled that one, or they are coming up with what they see as an "out" for the vast majority of homeowners, to buy time and support. It's not too hard to rebrand a home with four bedrooms as a three bedroom plus study/conservatory/mudroom/ball room/laundry room if need be! but more than that and you'd really have to work at it.