Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British TV in Canada

British TV in Canada

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British TV in Canada

No
Not an age thing....simply everyones right to choose.
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by Kirsty John and Dominic
Thanks R I C H for understanding our view point.

Sorry for insulting or upsetting any other members.

Thanks for the grammar lesson, difference of opinion must be an age thing
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:25 am
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

When we move I will embrace Canadian culture but I also make no apologies for wanting to catch some UK TV, Qi, anything with Sir David. It is a huge move for me having always lived in London and anything that will help me not feel so home sick is a bonus.

Most of us require some level of familiarity moving to another county does not have to exclude everything you left behind.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 11:28 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgerNaboo
When we move I will embrace Canadian culture but I also make no apologies for wanting to catch some UK TV, Qi, anything with Sir David. It is a huge move for me having always lived in London and anything that will help me not feel so home sick is a bonus.

Most of us require some level of familiarity moving to another county does not have to exclude everything you left behind.
I completely agree with this post.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I completely agree with this post.
I don't think it's hard enough. After some time abroad one will, to some degree, "go native", in the case of Canada one may come to like iced hockey or to speak French, but it's a small minority of people who can change their sense of humour to suit their environment.

People who grew up in the UK tend to appreciate irony, political satire and language based humour such as puns. They derive amusement from depictions of familiar, if exaggerated, domestication. Thus an English person, even one displaced to Canada for decades, can see what's funny about, say, the Royle Family, Black Books or even Keeping Up Appearances without necessarily enjoying the program. I don't think the immigrant is ever going to have the same appreciation for Little Mosque on the Prairie or Hatching, Matching and Dispatching; perhaps one's Canadian grandchildren may appreciate such material.

Oh and the idea that one should never watch television in Canada, rather one should be out four wheeling or shooting one's food, is just redneck snobbery; if one lives in Canada then the television and internet become one's links with civilization, one will spend more time in front of a screen than in the UK, even if one does embrace the keeping of domestic food animals and participation in snow sports.

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 2nd 2010 at 12:27 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I can say honestly we watch a lot less television here in Canada to the UK and don't miss it. The TV goes on for a couple of hours a night and that's it, we tend to tape a lot of stuff and watch later so we can whiz through the adverts in the same way we did in the UK (PVR similar to Sky plus) We watched Dr Who here on Space and wasn't into soap stuff in the UK and don't watch them here.

I do find a lot of stuff that we watched in the UK we can watch over here but as I said in my opening sentence we so watch a lot less here and can't see that changing
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Well I can say honestly we watch a lot less television here in Canada to the UK and don't miss it. The TV goes on for a couple of hours a night and that's it, we tend to tape a lot of stuff and watch later so we can whiz through the adverts in the same way we did in the UK (PVR similar to Sky plus) We watched Dr Who here on Space and wasn't into soap stuff in the UK and don't watch them here.

I do find a lot of stuff that we watched in the UK we can watch over here but as I said in my opening sentence we so watch a lot less here and can't see that changing
I should have qualified my earlier comment by saying that 14 hours per week, the equivalent of almost two working days, seems a shitload of television to me, regardless of country.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:50 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

I like what I like. I won't stop liking it if I live somewhere else. It may interest me less, but it won't be any less good. I also expect to like other new things. This can apply to any interest.