Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British TV in Canada

British TV in Canada

Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:29 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British TV in Canada

Originally Posted by Kirsty John and Dominic
These threads are stupid why after moving to canada with all the things to do here would people keep going on about how to get uk tv? its the last thing on my mind. Canadian tv is not that good but uk tv is is worse
I take it that things like Horizon, Qi, Arena, BBC2 & 4's arts programming leave you a little confused. I like to watch news programming that understands what goes on in the world outside of North America, niche documentaries about subjects that I would otherwise know nothing & cutting edge science & technology that could take years to enter the Canadian consciousness.. I like comedy that is actually funny (I like Corner Gas but in the 18 months I've lived here I've seen every episode twice).. I have a rich & varied life with many hobbies & pastimes, I also like to watch decent television occasionally..

I use torrents to watch UK television shows.. I'm not too fussed about anything that's time crucial so I just tend to
find them when I think about it.. I use an Xbox 360 as a media streamer & stream the avi files from my laptop wirelessly. The 360 also has a USB port in the front & could be used in the same fashion as the DVD player mentioned above. Perhaps you don't find the time to watch television in between the literacy classes..

Last edited by Joe_Sleepy; Mar 1st 2010 at 7:37 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:34 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I was checking out the TV guide online and it seems that CSI, Extreme Makeover Home addition, DR Phil and other US TV along with Dora The Explora and Go Diego Go (childrens favs) are all on Canadian TV., clearly I watch rubbish TV but I am pleased these are on...

Right now, here in Surrey, I am watching "Britains Worst Parents"! My God what has my evening viewing coming down to?!!! - Gavin and Stacey on at 9 though!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:38 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Their most-eloquently put point seemed to say that they found these threads "stupid".

Why is it stupid for an expat to ask how they can watch British TV while abroad?
Their definition of a stupid thread obviously doesn't match yours, but they're entitled to their opinion as much as you are, prat like, or not.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:42 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Their definition of a stupid thread obviously doesn't match yours, but they're entitled to their opinion as much as you are, prat like, or not.
True - and being a public forum I'm free to take the piss in the way they so richly deserve for such a plainly daft outburst.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:45 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
.... things like Horizon, Qi, Arena, BBC2 & 4's arts programming..... I like to watch news programming..... niche documentaries ..... & cutting edge science & technology that could take years to enter the Canadian consciousness.. .
And British TV is the only or best way to maintain a level of awareness and understanding about those subjects? Sounds a little patronizing of the Canadian public, IMO.

Some of us don't have access to web connections that support downloads as you suggest. It's amazing how we manage to remain civilized and cultured
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

leggobeast is an unknown quantity at this point

...and yet another thread on BE resorts to insults.

BE can be extremely useful, but its lack of etiquette makes it a very scary place, and I would guess that the majority of new users flee pretty quickly.

BE needs some benevolent moderation.

Am the only one here who wishes that BE could be as friendly and constructive as MSE?

Yours in trust

Leggo
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:52 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by leggobeast

BE can be extremely useful, but its lack of etiquette makes it a very scary place, and I would guess that the majority of new users flee pretty quickly.

Am the only one here who wishes that BE could be as friendly and constructive as MSE?

Yours in trust

Leggo
Did anyone ask your opinion?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:52 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leggobeast

Yours in trust

Leggo
I am with you on this, it took me a while to post as I was worried about some of the replies that may come....
I wish the insults would also have no place here. I guess its what happens when you get a bunch of people together with different opinions and there is always the problem with writing something, hard to get your point across always in the way its meant.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:04 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
And British TV is the only or best way to maintain a level of awareness and understanding about those subjects? Sounds a little patronizing of the Canadian public, IMO.

Some of us don't have access to web connections that support downloads as you suggest. It's amazing how we manage to remain civilized and cultured
I don't think it remotely amazing & as to how civilized & cultured you are I couldn't say. UK television is an wonderful resource whilst Canadian television, for the most part, is not. I find it peculiar that you would take umbrage at this.
Some countries/cultures do certain things better than others it's that simple. British expats know about British television & so extol it's virtues. If I never knew about it I wouldn't care.. The point has already been made that it can be a comfort to those forging a new life in a foreign land. Obviously everyone isn't as rugged & self reliant as you seem to need to tell the members here that you are..
I bow to your apparent expertise with regards to patronisation though, you do seem to know a lot more about that particular subject than many..
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:07 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
I bow to your apparent expertise with regards to patronisation though, you do seem to know a lot more about that particular subject than many..
Thank you, that's the answer I was looking for
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:20 pm
Displaced Disgrace

On a serious note, television can be a very important cultural marker to many, irrespective of where they come from or where they've ended up. Television is a way many immigrant communities maintain links with their cultures and traditions. We wouldn't find it odd that a Lebanese family would watch Lebanese television or Indian immigrants would like to watch Indian television or the occasional Bollywood blockbuster. I strongly agree that one should immerse themselves in their host culture but not necessarily to the complete exclusion of anything familiar.. I can find all of the information I mentioned in my previous post elsewhere but It is easy to find the quality & familiarity I like through UK TV..

Last edited by Joe_Sleepy; Mar 1st 2010 at 10:57 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 1:43 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I like to watch TV. I watch British TV in preference to Canadian TV, however this has nothing to do with finding comfort or staying connected - it's simply because canadian TV is unredeemably awful. I would assume this is common knowledge to most people.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 1:46 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kirsty John and Dominic
Canadian tv is not that good but uk tv is is worse
You're definitely out on your own with that one...
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 1:52 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems odd to me that the OP wants to know how they can watch UK tele and then they're told not to bother, get a hobby etc. Why not just answer the question helpfully or keep shtum?

I'm sure the OP is old enough and big enough to decide how they spend their free time.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Kirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant future

Thanks R I C H for understanding our view point.

Sorry for insulting or upsetting any other members.

Thanks for the grammar lesson, difference of opinion must be an age thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.