Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British TV for all!

British TV for all!

Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:47 am
Just Joined

ScotsAhoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb British TV for all!

I've been experimenting with various solutions to get UK tv in Canada for a while now (a problem which brings out the geek in me) and just thought it'd be nice to pass on some useful info I've found for others keen to view the same!

Firstly, although he's on the other side of the World, I 100% recommend this guys thorough and easy to understand post which gives you all the basics and introduces you to the wonderful concept of 'VPN', decoding, etc..

http://www.thatstheplan.com/?page_id=211

I took his advice and ran with it, trying lots of VPN services. Of which, Consult-Here.com ( http://www.consult-here.com/vpn.html ) is by far the best I've tried and is unbelievably quick for BBC iPlayer and better than others on 4oD as well. Some of the VPN services are pretty slow and make downloading a 4-day event per program! Consult Here, who I'm with now, downloaded 5 episodes of Top Gear in about half an hour.. ok, so not everyone is going to miss Jeremy Clarkson that much but you get my drift.

So hopefully that'll get you started and win some brownie points with your other half's (I started investigating after severe pressure from mine)..

Old Dec 15th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British TV for all!

Originally Posted by ScotsAhoy
I've been experimenting with various solutions to get UK tv in Canada for a while now (a problem which brings out the geek in me) and just thought it'd be nice to pass on some useful info I've found for others keen to view the same!

Firstly, although he's on the other side of the World, I 100% recommend this guys thorough and easy to understand post which gives you all the basics and introduces you to the wonderful concept of 'VPN', decoding, etc..

http://www.thatstheplan.com/?page_id=211

I took his advice and ran with it, trying lots of VPN services. Of which, Consult-Here.com ( http://www.consult-here.com/vpn.html ) is by far the best I've tried and is unbelievably quick for BBC iPlayer and better than others on 4oD as well. Some of the VPN services are pretty slow and make downloading a 4-day event per program! Consult Here, who I'm with now, downloaded 5 episodes of Top Gear in about half an hour.. ok, so not everyone is going to miss Jeremy Clarkson that much but you get my drift.

So hopefully that'll get you started and win some brownie points with your other half's (I started investigating after severe pressure from mine)..

Look up also "UK Proxy sever" for other services, most of them you have to pay for (still cheaper than license fee!!).

This is one way to get your computer in Canada to appear to be in the UK.

The other way is to use a device called a SlingBox if you have relatives in the UK with a broadband connection. Then you can connect to their digibox and basically browse all the Freeview channels. The quality is dependent on their upstream bandwidth (Their PC's broadband "Upload" speed).
Old Dec 15th 2008, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Stuart8472 is an unknown quantity at this point

Scots - bringing TV to the masses since 1926.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuart8472
Scots - bringing TV to the masses since 1926.
Except themselves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7scMC7YSDQ
Old Dec 15th 2008, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Stuart8472 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Damn it, cant get on youtube at work!!

Could it be argued that we also gave the world the internet? In a roundabout sort of way?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 2:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuart8472
Could it be argued that we also gave the world the internet? In a roundabout sort of way?
Perhaps, if Al Gore drinks Scotch.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:49 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

This has been covered many times............my personal fav solution is to Torrrent things and then burn onto a DVD, then watch it on the TV. Pretty much everything can be gotten for free and if you sign up to UKNova then is also fairly legal.

Yes BBC iPlayer can get mde to work but you are then restricted to BBC programs and watching on the PC, unless you hook it up to a TV.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

if you sign up to UKNova then is also fairly legal
Cobblers I'm afraid, it's still 100% illegal but don't let that stop you
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNikki
Cobblers I'm afraid, it's still 100% illegal but don't let that stop you
UK Nova may strictly be illegal but because they do not allow any content that is commercially available on DVD, etc you would have to be really unlucky to fall foul of the copyright police.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:25 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
UK Nova may strictly be illegal but because they do not allow any content that is commercially available on DVD, etc you would have to be really unlucky to fall foul of the copyright police.
Exactly, its a grey area as they don't allow anything you can buy..........its about as legal as a Slingbox
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

Well, technically, it's not illegal to download or share copyrighted material in Canada so I wouldn't worry too much either way.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

kidmeup is an unknown quantity at this point

i was lead to believe it was fine in canada to download but not to upload.

sasktel dont give a monkeys what you do anyway and i have no bandwidth limit or even a fair usage policy to contend with.
now thats cool
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nope, the judge ruled that making it available was no more illegal than downloading

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1027_3-5182641.html
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:46 pm
Banned

I'm not too worried about the legality of it, but there is always that like tug in the back of your mind. But its out weighed by the fact that I can build up complete series of programs and keep them to watch when I want.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

What I have found quite handy is that the Play Station 3 has built in wireless and Windows Media Player 11 is also a media server that the playstation can detect automatically which means if you add to your windows media player library all the videos (e.g downloaded episodes of Dr Who) or music and photographs etc. you can either stream them (if you have a good bandwith wirless network) or copy them to the PS3 hard drive and then watch em on the old big screen TV. If you have a big HD screen it is pretty impressive for viewing high resolution photographs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.