Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British treats - Sobeys

British treats - Sobeys

Old May 27th 2015, 1:49 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British treats - Sobeys

Originally Posted by Nelju
Sobeys hired a U.K. celebrity chef. That's probably the reason for having more british threats at that food retailer.

Sobeys partners with Jamie Oliver | Canadian Grocer
If it's anything to do with that mockney cnut "threat" is probably the correct term.
Old May 27th 2015, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I will have to go get some Heinz Salad Cream, i ran out a while ago and they didnt seem to stock it any more.
Most of the Brit foods are mixed in with others, no special isle so you have to look carefully.
Old May 30th 2015, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

London Drugs today ...........

OH saw bottles of Ribena on sale for $10.99
Old May 30th 2015, 10:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
London Drugs today ...........

OH saw bottles of Ribena on sale for $10.99
Unless that's a big bottle it seems more expensive than usual.

I only ever bought the one, for about $7 but I don't think there was much of a change when I last noticed one.
Old May 31st 2015, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

He did say it seemed a bit bigger than the bottles we used to buy 20 or so years ago

I've just looked online, and London Drug ads (no date to them) are saying 1 litre Ribena
$10.99

They don't seem to carry any other sizes

I can't remember what size we used to buy!

Last edited by scilly; May 31st 2015 at 12:18 am.
Old May 31st 2015, 2:15 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
He did say it seemed a bit bigger than the bottles we used to buy 20 or so years ago

I've just looked online, and London Drug ads (no date to them) are saying 1 litre Ribena
$10.99

They don't seem to carry any other sizes

I can't remember what size we used to buy!
I think that is bigger, yes. Walmart.ca says $9.97 for 1l and the bottle looks plastic and dumpy.

At that size I'd have expected it to be already diluted (like the mini cartons) but it says concentrated.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

My favourite chutney is Major Grey's Mango Chutney ........ I have it not only with my homemade curries but also with Black Forest Ham in a salad or on a sandwich

I prefer either Sharwood's or Patak's, but it was not until OH bought a new jar of Patak's on Friday that I realised that both were imported from England

They're kept in the Asian Foods aisle at the Safeway
Old Jun 1st 2015, 4:24 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think that is bigger, yes. Walmart.ca says $9.97 for 1l and the bottle looks plastic and dumpy.

At that size I'd have expected it to be already diluted (like the mini cartons) but it says concentrated.
It is the regular concentrate. I think it's less that $9 in Superstore here on the Island (but then we do have a lot of brits here so maybe demand is higher).
Old Apr 27th 2016, 12:02 pm
Oscar nominated

Default @ Caretaker

My stepdaughter came back from Walmart last week with a couple of cans of Heinz 'British Style' Baked Beans.

I thanked her but told her, gently, that they probably weren't worth the extra cost and that I was perfectly happy with the brands over here.

I opened one the other day. From the tin I thought they tasted a bit...watery, like I remember third-of-the-price supermarket versions of a couple of decades ago. Fortunately they were much better on the plate with some food.

I've checked the labels and they have less salt and sugar than Clark's plain tomato version but half the fibre. I suppose in small quantities, lower salt/sugar has the edge on the reduced fibre.

@ Caretaker. Yes, my mother in law makes baked beans. Unfortunately she still likes lots of salt and sugar in and on just about everything and has been using Molasses, although she at least cut back on it last time.
Old May 3rd 2016, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

jaguar is an unknown quantity at this point

You can buy British Heinz baked beans in Superstore. Not that mollasses crap, but proper, as sold in the UK, baked beans. And no, they are not costing a fortune, about the same as the uk.
Old May 3rd 2016, 4:05 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by jaguar
You can buy British Heinz baked beans in Superstore.
Not that I'm interested in British beans but don't forget that what's in one Superstore isn't necessarily in every superstore, often not even in the same province or city.
Old May 3rd 2016, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: @ Caretaker

My stepdaughter came back from Walmart last week with a couple of cans of Heinz 'British Style' Baked Beans.

I thanked her but told her, gently, that they probably weren't worth the extra cost and that I was perfectly happy with the brands over here.

I opened one the other day. From the tin I thought they tasted a bit...watery, like I remember third-of-the-price supermarket versions of a couple of decades ago. Fortunately they were much better on the plate with some food.

I've checked the labels and they have less salt and sugar than Clark's plain tomato version but half the fibre. I suppose in small quantities, lower salt/sugar has the edge on the reduced fibre.

@ Caretaker. Yes, my mother in law makes baked beans. Unfortunately she still likes lots of salt and sugar in and on just about everything and has been using Molasses, although she at least cut back on it last time.
Yeah they definitely seem watered down. Loblaws had them on sale a few times, actually prefered the No Name to the supposed British style anyway
Old May 3rd 2016, 10:37 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Yeah they definitely seem watered down. Loblaws had them on sale a few times, actually prefered the No Name to the supposed British style anyway

I just buy whatever brand is reduced. It's not a regular, just something I like to have in the cupboard for when the feeling takes me.

They go surprisingly nicely with cabbage.

Why they insist on putting that yucky bit of pork fat in one kind, heaven knows. Does anyone actually eat it?
Old May 4th 2016, 12:49 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I just buy whatever brand is reduced. It's not a regular, just something I like to have in the cupboard for when the feeling takes me.

They go surprisingly nicely with cabbage.

Why they insist on putting that yucky bit of pork fat in one kind, heaven knows. Does anyone actually eat it?
I just buy the Clarks beans? They are nice. But I don't buy the ones with any pork fat in it...sounds a bit too North American for me! Interestingly enough, my kid will eat the Clarks beans here, whereas in France he would never eat a Heinz bean as he thought they were foreign flageolet and not French!
Old May 4th 2016, 1:21 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by MillieF
I just buy the Clarks beans?
What's with the Clark's beans that come in a jar?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.