Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British treats - Sobeys

British treats - Sobeys

Old May 1st 2015, 5:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British treats - Sobeys

Originally Posted by colchar
I have noticed a few British items in my local Sobeys but it would be nice to be able to get more British stuff, including my lime marmalade.
Sobeys had Rose's Lime and Orange versions. They didn't have them there the previous time I went but that was several weeks ago so I'm not sure how "new" it is for them.
Old May 1st 2015, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Walmarts now sell Chocolate Hobnobs - but only online (I haven't found them in-store).

Sobeys has them here but they are in with the rest of the biscuits not the international stuff......sneaky buggers

I cant leave them alone once they are open!!!
Old May 1st 2015, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Our Safeway used to be very good for "English" foods .............. eg, Branston Pickle, Heinz Salad Cream English Dressing and Sharwood's Chutneys. The first 2 are about the only English things we insist on buying. They also used to carry Rose's Lime marmalade

But Safeway were taken over by Sobeys last year ............ and they don't seem to have Branston Pickle on their shelves now. I'm hoping they will re-stock with it before the summer comes ............. I love it with cold meats.

BC has a small chain called London Drugs that also sells food and many other items, I buy Nairn's Oat Cakes there, and I have also noticed other English items on their food shelves
I shop at Safeways and the Heinz Salad Cream is gone sandwich spread is there as is chocolate hobnobs, dark and milk tea biscuits, tetley tea, I did see lions made treacle once but that was only once lol i will check and see if all the pickles are still there next time in, They have all the different HP sauces too as well as original, might have to go to Sobeys then to get salad cream. Oh they have crumpets too, they generally go straight in the toaster when i get home lol
Old May 1st 2015, 6:25 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
I shop at Safeways and the Heinz Salad Cream is gone sandwich spread l
Oh how I love Heinz Sandwich Spread! Haven't had it forever.
Old May 1st 2015, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

itsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond repute

If only we had a Sobeys's or Fortina's or Safeway! Still, I can get more British stuff here than I could in the Pennsylvania so I am happy! But yes I would love to scrape off the chocolate from a "Club" biscuit and I really wouldn't care if it was orange flavored. I am beginning to drool.
Old May 1st 2015, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by MillieF
I got in a fight at school over sandwich spread.

I come from Stoke and a very poor back ground. I went to school in Bournemouth. One of the middle class chinless southern softies decided to make fun of me for only having sandwich spread on my sandwiches one day. This in itself didnt bother me but after a while he went too far with it and started to push me. So I gave him a kicking and force fed him my sandwich to the point of nearly choking him and took his ham and cheese sandwich!! He went off crying to a nearby teacher who had over heard and watched what happened, he told him that it was his own fault as he started it and was trying to bully me!!

The Teacher was from a Nottinghamshire mining town, I bumped into him a few years later in the local chippy. We were laughing about it. When I asked why I didnt get in trouble for it he smiled and replied that the chinless wonders dad was a Tory Councilor and another word beginning with a C
Old May 1st 2015, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
........... and they don't seem to have Branston Pickle on their shelves now. I'm hoping they will re-stock with it before the summer comes ............. I love it with cold meats.

I buy Branston Pickle at Walmart.
Old May 1st 2015, 7:10 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't know walmart had Branston- thanks Allie.

Aren't coco pops called Nesquik over here? Like the milkshake in blighty?

I got some daddies sauce in the british shop in eglington square, but I'm a bit scared of going in there, a credit card massacre is always a significant risk in those places. As it was I ended up spending two quid on a tin of branston baked beans.

In the UK I had a clear preference for HP over daddies but the local HP is a bit sweet and full of that glucose corn syrup stuff. I might make imported daddies my regular treat.
Old May 2nd 2015, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sobeys had Rose's Lime and Orange versions. They didn't have them there the previous time I went but that was several weeks ago so I'm not sure how "new" it is for them.
My local Sobey's doesn't have them. And, despite loving damned near everything that is orange flavoured, I don't eat orange marmalade. Not sure how that happened.
Old May 2nd 2015, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Aren't coco pops called Nesquik over here? Like the milkshake in blighty?

There are two similar cereals called Coco Pops and Nesquik. Nesquik is also a drink/drink mix.

In the UK I had a clear preference for HP over daddies but the local HP is a bit sweet and full of that glucose corn syrup stuff. I might make imported daddies my regular treat.

Just buy the imported HP.

Originally Posted by MillieF
It is available in all grocery stores here. Not sure how it would compare to the British version, but that can also be found at specialty shops.
Old May 2nd 2015, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Bought Branston Pickle at our Safeway yesterday.

I must check for the Salad Cream ............. we bought one from Safeway a few months ago that is still unopened (the "spare" )

Just have to remember that it might not be with the salad dressings!!!
Old May 3rd 2015, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Goodbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to Sobeys yesterday after reading about the international isle here.
First time I have ever heard of Sobeys.
I couldn't find any international isle.
Old May 3rd 2015, 1:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodbhoy
I went to Sobeys yesterday after reading about the international isle here.
First time I have ever heard of Sobeys.
I couldn't find any international isle.
It's not a whole aisle dedicated to international foods, just an aisle that has international foods as one of half a dozen things on the aisle description.

Of course it might be that your Sobeys doesn't have one or that it doesn't include British stuff. The ones here have had an international section (mostly Asian but some European stuff) for at least 10 years.
Attached Thumbnails British treats - Sobeys-2012-04-25-07-03-08-wayne%2520smart.jpg  
Old May 3rd 2015, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Goodbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's not a whole aisle dedicated to international foods, just an aisle that has international foods as one of half a dozen things on the aisle description.

Of course it might be that your Sobeys doesn't have one or that it doesn't include British stuff. The ones here have had an international section (mostly Asian but some European stuff) for at least 10 years.
I know that and realise that.
I have seen it at Walmart.

I was in a different part of town and just seen Sobeys (I don't think there is one local to me), I thought about the British isle mentioned here and went to have a look.
I went up and down every isle but didn't see a thing.
Old May 4th 2015, 1:54 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Heinz does a locally made salad cream- called either English or British style salad cream. It tasted acceptably similar to the real stuff but I'm not a connoisseur.

This is leading me on to those Heinz British style baked beans which aren't an acceptable equivalent...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.