Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Trained Doctor in Canada (Ontario)

British Trained Doctor in Canada (Ontario)

Old May 8th 2015, 12:06 am
Just Joined

musaab.ch is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation British Trained Doctor in Canada (Ontario)

I hope someone can clarify and provide some answers.
My wife is UK trained doctor. She has completed her foundation year1 and 2 and core medical training year 1 and 2. She is currently doing locum as registrar in England.
She would like to pursue her career in Canada and has filed for credential evaluation with royal college of Canada in internal medicine.
Is here anyone on this forum that had a similar experience or gone through this process as it is very confusing and we don't know what to expect as outcome. I hope someone can provide more info.

Thanks
Old May 8th 2015, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Trained Doctor in Canada (Ontario)

Your wife should join Doctors.net.uk where her questions will be quickly and easily answered on the forum there. Best wishes
Old May 8th 2015, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

segs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant future

UK trained Drs are best placed to work here if they are fully qualified in the UK already, meaning having a CCT in a speciality or in general practice.
I think it's much more difficult to try and complete the training or residency in Canada

Her best bet is to finish up her internal medicine ST or speciality training in the UK...
Even with CCT, the Drs that have moved to Ontario and other provinces in Canada were still faced with exams and many other beaureacratic hurdles
I suspect the outcome from the royal college credential evaluation will be that she needs to do residency training in internal medicine
Hope that helps

Last edited by segs; May 8th 2015 at 2:34 am. Reason: More info added
Old May 8th 2015, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Your wife should join Doctors.net.uk where her questions will be quickly and easily answered on the forum there. Best wishes
thanks
Old May 8th 2015, 3:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by segs
UK trained Drs are best placed to work here if they are fully qualified in the UK already, meaning having a CCT in a speciality or in general practice.
I think it's much more difficult to try and complete the training or residency in Canada

Her best bet is to finish up her internal medicine ST or speciality training in the UK...
Even with CCT, the Drs that have moved to Ontario and other provinces in Canada were still faced with exams and many other beaureacratic hurdles
I suspect the outcome from the royal college credential evaluation will be that she needs to do residency training in internal medicine
Hope that helps
Thanks for detailed reply
Old May 9th 2015, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Hope that helps
Can you clarify then what is approved jurisdiction means as she applied under that class and it appears that she completed all her essential training required for internal medicine.
Old May 9th 2015, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

segs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant future

Hi musaab.ch

You may be right. The CCT or certificate of completion of training may not be needed per se if the jurisdiction approved training assessment shows that all the internal medicine training jobs she has done meet the training criteria for internal medicine training in Ontario.
If so, they will give her a 'ruling letter' to say she is eligible to sit the Canadian royal college of physicians and surgeons exam in internal medicine.

UK is an approved jurisdiction where Canada recognises medical training done there, but still assesses and recommends any further exams etc to be equivalent to Canadian training

The reason I thought she may not qualify is that your post seems to say she has done core training and foundation training but not completed specialty training in internal medicine...
Be that as it may, wait for the royal college reply to the application for jurisdiction approved training.

I had to do the same for psychiatry and it took a while

Do you know of Health Force Ontario? Just google them and contact them
They are an Ontario govt funded agency that helps recruit international trained health workers. They are very good and will walk you through all aspects to getting a job, interviews etc

Drs coming to work here involves a long process of the following parts

1. Registration with the medical regulatory body, in Ontario its college of physicians and surgeons Ontario. The have to assess you and approve you for a licence to practice medicine.
2. Recognition of training by the royal college of physicians and surgeons Canada, the process you've started
3. Immigration status or visa.
4. Getting a job

I think I've covered it all
Each stage has a long list of things to do...

If you get connected to health force Ontario, they will take you through the process from start to finish

You can also look at a blog called gpincanada. Though it's for gps, and for Alberta, there's a good flow chart of the process on his page

Finally, each Canadian province has a govt funded recruitment agency for health professionals
I think they all do the same as health force Ontario. I can vouch for HFO and healthmatchbc for British Columbia because I dealt with both.

There may be easier provinces than Ontario or rather, each province does things a bit differently. I think physiciansapply is trying to streamline the process Canada wide.

For more info on other provinces, just google 'physician recruitment in...' And add the name of each Canadian province. E.g

Alberta physicians link
Health match BC
Health force ontario
Practice Newfoundland and Labrador
Etc etc

So I'd suggest you get 'googling' reading and contacting if any of the above is new info for you.

It's a long process but worth it.
Hope that helps

Last edited by segs; May 9th 2015 at 2:47 pm.
Old May 9th 2015, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi musaab.ch

You may be right. The CCT or certificate of completion of training may not be needed per se if the jurisdiction approved training assessment shows that all the internal medicine training jobs she has done meet the training criteria for internal medicine training in Ontario.
If so, they will give her a 'ruling letter' to say she is eligible to sit the Canadian royal college of physicians and surgeons exam in internal medicine.

UK is an approved jurisdiction where Canada recognises medical training done there, but still assesses and recommends any further exams etc to be equivalent to Canadian training

The reason I thought she may not qualify is that your post seems to say she has done core training and foundation training but not completed specialty training in internal medicine...
Be that as it may, wait for the royal college reply to the application for jurisdiction approved training.

I had to do the same for psychiatry and it took a while

Do you know of Health Force Ontario? Just google them and contact them
They are an Ontario govt funded agency that helps recruit international trained health workers. They are very good and will walk you through all aspects to getting a job, interviews etc

Drs coming to work here involves a long process of the following parts

1. Registration with the medical regulatory body, in Ontario its college of physicians and surgeons Ontario. The have to assess you and approve you for a licence to practice medicine.
2. Recognition of training by the royal college of physicians and surgeons Canada, the process you've started
3. Immigration status or visa.
4. Getting a job

I think I've covered it all
Each stage has a long list of things to do...

If you get connected to health force Ontario, they will take you through the process from start to finish

You can also look at a blog called gpincanada. Though it's for gps, and for Alberta, there's a good flow chart of the process on his page

Finally, each Canadian province has a govt funded recruitment agency for health professionals
I think they all do the same as health force Ontario. I can vouch for HFO and healthmatchbc for British Columbia because I dealt with both.

There may be easier provinces than Ontario or rather, each province does things a bit differently. I think physiciansapply is trying to streamline the process Canada wide.

For more info on other provinces, just google 'physician recruitment in...' And add the name of each Canadian province. E.g

Alberta physicians link
Health match BC
Health force ontario
Practice Newfoundland and Labrador
Etc etc

So I'd suggest you get 'googling' reading and contacting if any of the above is new info for you.

It's a long process but worth it.
Hope that helps
This is the most helpful reply we have seen on the internet so far as there is hardly any information and its all very confusing. I may have confused you as well. She completed foundation year 1 & 2 and cmt year 1 & 2 previously known as ST 1 & 2. No she has not completed it all the way ST3 to ST7. But it appears she has completed most of the essential competencies required by Internal Medicine. What i deduce from your post that they may ask her to do some residency in Canada. We don't know how you can enter half way through or its even possible.
Did you come to Canada after becoming consultant in UK?