Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British tourist to give birth in Canada…. how much does it cost?/?

British tourist to give birth in Canada…. how much does it cost?/?

Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:48 am
Just Joined

barnabyjohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British tourist to give birth in Canada…. how much does it cost?/?

My friend’s cousin is … 8 month pregnant... she is here (Alberta) with her husband to attend for her cousin’s wedding (She is British married to Canadian citz..). It seems that she can not fly back to London, as she has been told it is too risky in case she goes in to labor …. She is due to give birth some time in October 22.

Since they are in tourism here they are not entitle to any health care coverage to deliver the baby. She is however … kind of prepared for all this, …. but it seems they don’t have any clue how much is going to cost them (as we all know under NHS scheme hospitalization in UK is totally free)

However, my friend is now speaking to the local hospitals to find out about the total cost for delivery and postnatal care and what she might need in case she goes in to labor and how the hospital billing is handled for foreign visitors. ….. etc

It would be great if anyone has more information, opinion or advice about these…. …. Cheers.!!

Last edited by barnabyjohn; Sep 4th 2008 at 6:54 am.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:11 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British tourist to give birth in Canada…. how much does it cost?/?

Originally Posted by barnabyjohn
My friend’s cousin is … 8 month pregnant... she is here (Alberta) with her husband to attend for her cousin’s wedding (She is British married to Canadian citz..). It seems that she can not fly back to London, as she has been told it is too risky in case she goes in to labor …. She is due to give birth some time in October 22.

Since they are in tourism here they are not entitle to any health care coverage to deliver the baby. She is however … kind of prepared for all this, …. but it seems they don’t have any clue how much is going to cost them (as we all know under NHS scheme hospitalization in UK is totally free)

However, my friend is now speaking to the local hospitals to find out about the total cost for delivery and postnatal care and what she might need in case she goes in to labor and how the hospital billing is handled for foreign visitors. ….. etc

It would be great if anyone has more information, opinion or advice about these…. …. Cheers.!!
this may be strange question but surely when she booked the return flights to Alberta the airline knew she was pregnant and would have advised that she was unable to fly back???

I think what Im trying to say is -1: surely if your 8 months pregnant and going abroad you would check to make sure you could get home again 2) if you have planned to have the baby in Canada ( for citizenship) then mecial cover would have been a good arrangement incase of complications.....

I have no clue of the cost but I imagine its not cheap - I do hope they dont have any complications or it could work out seriously expensive
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

barnabyjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tanah
this may be strange question but surely when she booked the return flights to Alberta the airline knew she was pregnant and would have advised that she was unable to fly back???

I think what Im trying to say is -1: surely if your 8 months pregnant and going abroad you would check to make sure you could get home again 2) if you have planned to have the baby in Canada ( for citizenship) then mecial cover would have been a good arrangement incase of complications.....

I have no clue of the cost but I imagine its not cheap - I do hope they dont have any complications or it could work out seriously expensive
The airline didn’t notice she was pregnant and her pregnancy wasn’t showing up until recently. I don’t think they are here for the baby citizenship either; they just had a long term commitment to attend the wedding. From what I understood was that… they don’t have any clear info on how much is going to cost them for the delivery.. … etc. Her partner is returning back to London and will be back when the delivery day is near. They have already rented an apartment as she is going to be here for a quite sometime!!!!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

"In 2002–2003, average hospital costs ranged from about $2,800 for vaginal deliveries to $4,600 for C-sections and $7,700 for major procedures, such as hysterectomies and surgical repairs following delivery."

http://secure.cihi.ca/cihiweb/dispPa...ia_26apr2006_e

I don't suppose it's cheaper now.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't she go back? Okay, I'm crap at maths... but if she's due Oct 22, today is Sept 4 - BA will carry her, and they fly from Calgary.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...n/public/en_gb

Pregnancy
For uncomplicated single pregnancies, we restrict travel beyond the end of the 36th week, and for twins, triplets etc., beyond the end of the 32nd week. After your pregnancy has entered its 28th week, we ask that you carry with you a letter from your doctor or midwife, stating the pregnancy is uncomplicated and confirming the expected date of delivery. In this letter, your doctor should state that you are in good health, that they are happy for you to fly, and that (in their opinion) there is no reason why you cannot fly.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future

another question: how long is she allowed to stay in Canada? She is a UK citizen there on tourist visa?

Once the baby is born, I guess baby will have Canadian citizenship?
Will she be able to stay for humanitarian reasons?

Sorry, no answers from my side, just questions and things to consider.

She could try to get insurance from one of the travel insurance carriers in Canada. Not sure they accept pregnant women, or rather they accept to pay for pregnancy and birth. Check with them.

Don't they have travel health insurance? (I would never dare to travel anywhere without myself, find it hard to imagine anyone would).
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbd33
"In 2002–2003, average hospital costs ranged from about $2,800 for vaginal deliveries to $4,600 for C-sections and $7,700 for major procedures, such as hysterectomies and surgical repairs following delivery."

http://secure.cihi.ca/cihiweb/dispPa...ia_26apr2006_e

I don't suppose it's cheaper now.
from what I understand from that website, those are costs, so do not necessarily correspond to the price that is billed to self-paying patients.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ikatita
Once the baby is born, I guess baby will have Canadian citizenship?
Will she be able to stay for humanitarian reasons?
I was under the impression that just because the baby is born in Canada does not automatically mean the child gets Canadian citizenship, I always thought that the baby still would be deemed a British Citizen, or am I mistaken...
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:40 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Does Canada give out Citizenship for being born in Canada, I know the USA does, but the UK doesn't?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ikatita
from what I understand from that website, those are costs, so do not necessarily correspond to the price that is billed to self-paying patients.
Granted but that was the best I could quickly find. I have a price list from a Toronto hospital but it's at home. Even with the price list it's not simple to work out the likely cost for a procedure as there are so many individual items to be added up.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
I was under the impression that just because the baby is born in Canada does not automatically mean the child gets Canadian citizenship, I always thought that the baby still would be deemed a British Citizen, or am I mistaken...
Actually, in the case cited,
from what I understand, the baby has a Canadian father and a British mother,
and would thus be both a Canadian citizen and a British citizen from birth.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Does Canada give out Citizenship for being born in Canada, I know the USA does, but the UK doesn't?
Yes, birth on Canadian soil (except to diplomat, etc) gives you citizenship.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bazzz quoted 12,000 CAD for his boss's wife's delivery in Canada in post #3 of this thread
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:02 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Biiiiink;6748323]Yes, birth on Canadian soil QUOTE] I hope she would at least be given a bed

(oh dear i messed up the quote thingy)
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

I had no idea that a tourist could give birth in Canada and then your child would be deemed Canadian...

Mind working overtime now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.