Reload this Page >

British Teacher wanting to move to Alberta

British Teacher wanting to move to Alberta

Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Canucklehead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Teacher wanting to move to Alberta

Originally Posted by chan_konabe
Just a note on that - Alberta and BC have recently signed a Teacher Mobility Agreement that came into effect on April 1, 2008. This agreement allows teachers to work in either province without taking additional coursework or training. Also, it ensures that their teaching certification will be recognized in either province without delay.

You can read up more on it here: BC & Alberta Teacher Mobility Agreement
Good morning: Yes...read about the mobility agreement while researching potential move awhile back.... my teaching certication is with Ontario CT (and the GTC here in the UK) so the BC-Alberta TMA has no relevance to my situtation at the moment.

Canucklehead
Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Teacher wanting to move to Alberta

Reading this thread and looking at all the views, opinions and experiences put forward - i must admit although i have as yet not been to Canada; my experience thus far regarding accreditation has not been doom and gloom.I have qualified for a BC interim professional certificate of eligibility. I only needed to pick up English literature, which i did through the open university and this was recognised by the BCCT. Also, i have qualified for a statement of eligibility at salary class 7 from Manitoba.

My experience thus far has been to prepare as thoroughly as possible so that when you eventually arrive in Canada, you are not spending time picking up qualifications that you could have whilst for instance in the UK. Most of the requirements can be done through the Open university which is recognised in Canada, and they can be picked up whilst you are still employed.

I am in full time employment in teaching in an inner city secondary school and have managed to fill in all the gaps in my qualifications and knowledge so that i am not faced with difficulties to pick up a job.

Incidentally, i did get an interview over the telephone for a job in BC but the organisation just didn't want to go that extra mile to apply for an LMO and work permit. I was given assurances that once i am in BC i should contact them.

My advice to all those teachers immigrating is to look outside the box and try and acquire as much relevant qualifications and experience. If anybody needs help with accreditation - please do not hesitate to ask me.

Remeber never to lose sight of your dreams and how you are going to get there.

regards
Ruby