Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British student looking for advice!

British student looking for advice!

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:14 pm
Jellybeanie

ladolcevita is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British student looking for advice!

Hey everyone!

I've been looking on the British Expat Forum for quite a while now, and considered joining, but just never got around to it..until now.

Well, I'm in my final year at 6th form, and I've basically been accepted to both British and Canadian uni.'s. However, I'm starting to doubt whether Canada would be a nice place to stay for thr duration of my degree. I will be living on Victoria Island, but have only ever seen pictures of the place.

Anyone who could reassure me, or enlighten me, please help!

Thanks in advance,
ladolcevita

Last edited by ladolcevita; Apr 22nd 2005 at 2:21 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:18 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British student looking for advice!

Willmorreee!!!!

Shes living in paradise, and Im sure will tell you to go for it. Take an umbrella !
Attached Thumbnails British student looking for advice!-willmore.jpg  
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Victoria Island seemed like a pretty nice place when I made a brief visit a few years back. Personally if I was in your situation I'd pick Canada unless there was a very good reason to stay in the UK... you'll probably benefit at least as much from spending a few years in a foreign country as you will from taking a degree.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:32 pm
Jellybeanie

Thanks for your help!

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:33 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladolcevita
Hey everyone!

I've been looking on the British Expat Forum for quite a while now, and considered joining, but just never got around to it..until now.

Well, I'm in my final year at 6th form, and I've basically been accepted to both British and Canadian uni.'s. However, I'm starting to doubt whether Canada would be a nice place to stay for thr duration of my degree. I will be living on Victoria Island, but have only ever seen pictures of the place.

Thanks in advance,
ladolcevita
I think you mean Victoria on Vancouver Island! Victoria Island way up in the Arctic Circle. If you're referring to the University of Victoria, I did my BA there (I'm from Victoria) and I can assure you that the campus is beautiful, friendly and has loads of facilities - http://www.uvic.ca/gallery/index.html - click 'campus slideshow'

If you have any other questions, fire away
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I think you mean Victoria on Vancouver Island!
LOL... I hope they did, that's where I was thinking of .
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:18 pm
Jellybeanie

LOL! Ooops! I did mean Vancouver Island! I'm having quite a ditzy day today! Argh, how silly of me! To the person that's from Victoria, tell me moreee! I would love to know all about Victoria, especially from someone that knows it first hand! Here's my list of questions:

What's the life like out there?
Are there nice places to visit?
Was the campus as beautiful as it looked on the brochure?
Is it easy to access Vancouver from Victoria?

That's all for now!
Feel free to randomly rant on about how great Victoria is!

ladolcevita
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:52 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, its not yet 9am on the wet coast, so it might take a while to get some "on the ground" reports...
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

What's the life like out there?
Are there nice places to visit?
Was the campus as beautiful as it looked on the brochure?
Is it easy to access Vancouver from Victoria?

That's all for now!
Feel free to randomly rant on about how great Victoria is!

ladolcevita[/QUOTE]

hi there from the still early west coast of canada......

I'm a bit biased (and remember these are just my opinions).Since I was criticized for outlining the negative aspects of Victoria last time I will refrain from doing so again!!!

Life is wonderful here on Vancouver Island (Victoria). We move at a much slower rate than most other places in Canada. Although we do get quite a bit of rain, a good gortex jacket for the fall/winter/spring will do the trick for you. We have had a very early spring and are experiencing beautiful 17c weather this entire week. I was able to pick spinach from our greenhouse until october last year, and our summer was so warm last year that i got 4 crops of raspberries and strawberries.

There are many beautiful beaches in and around Victoria and all along the west coast of the island. Well worth taking a trip. There are just too many beautiful areas to mention. There are tons of walking/biking trails, the west coast trail. On our last trip, we saw kids surfing along the coast!!!! Then there's my very very favourite, Botanical Beach with world famous tidal pools.

Although I did both of my degrees at the university of british columbia, we do use the research labs at uvic. The campus is absolutely beautiful and growing every day. The govt has released some funding this year, so a few new buildings will be started for the social sciences (the buidlings they are housed in now are very old and the depts are in different buildings. The campus is quite small, and very friendly.....

The campus is just a hop, skip and jump from Haro Beach and the ocean. Easily a 10 minute walk from the campus. Great place to hang out and eat lunch or whatever.....

The ferry ride to Vancouver-Victoria is usually 1 1/2 hours long, but well worth it. We have seen killer whales etc., on different trips.....

I must run for now......but please if you want more info, just yell. Either hwp or myself will be around to help you.....so ask away....

Oh, forgot to ask.....what field of study are you going into?
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:49 pm
Jellybeanie

Thumbs up Re: British student looking for advice!

Hey Willmore!

I'm going be doing a BComm degree, however, I have to go through a pre-commerce year first. All Amths, Economics and Statistics based, but exactly what I'm looking to do!

Thank you very much for all the info you provided in your post, it was certainly reassuring!

ladolcevita
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Hey Willmore!

I'm going be doing a BComm degree, however, I have to go through a pre-commerce year first. All Amths, Economics and Statistics based, but exactly what I'm looking to do!

Thank you very much for all the info you provided in your post, it was certainly reassuring!

ladolcevita
ah stats....still gives me nightmares!!!!!....glad we could be of help. any other questions just fire away. either hwp or myself are around at some point during the day, or just feel free to pm me.....
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Hey everyone!

Thanks in advance,
ladolcevita
What are the British universities you've been accepted to? What's your funding source?
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

George-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant future

At least if you do your degree in Canada it will be recognized there and here, unlike if you did it in UK............. Respond!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 5:35 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George-Ang
At least if you do your degree in Canada it will be recognized there and here, unlike if you did it in UK............. Respond!
Yep but the one benefit of the UK is that you can jump from undergrad to PhD without going through the Masters.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

George-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Iginla
Yep but the one benefit of the UK is that you can jump from undergrad to PhD without going through the Masters.
BUT would it be recognised in Canada......... i think not.... Ask Biiink, and what her hubby has to do, and he is a qualified UK Dentist. !!! NOT yet Canadian qualified,,,,, are the teeth in Canada different ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.