British pride

Old Jan 25th 2005, 11:57 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: British pride

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
The description of Calgary ... as a young place
Calgary is a young place ... it was named after Calgary in Mull by Colonel MacLeod ... I did also say that there was history in the area stretching back thousands and millions of years ...

The native inhabitants of Alberta didn't go in for building grandiose permanent structures in the same way that the Greeks or Romans did .. so there's a lot less to see above ground level.

I’m also bothered by assumptions that often runs through discussions like this that European culture is the standard to which other cultures are measured
So you automatically assume that all europeans will apply these assumptions without thinking about it?? Sounds a bit racist to me: "all europeans think the same way".

If I made an equivalent comment about first nations you'd leap down my throat without a moment's hesitation - all first nations people aren't the same, why assume all europeans think the same way??

Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:02 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
The native inhabitants of Alberta didn't go in for building grandiose permanent structures in the same way that the Greeks or Romans did .. so there's a lot less to see above ground level.
Actually, there is a lot to see above ground - a lot to hear, touch, eat, watch, experience and learn about. You just have to realise it's not going to be old buildings, standing stones, medieval mounds, Roman mosaics, etc.

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
So you automatically assume that all europeans will apply these assumptions without thinking about it?? Sounds a bit racist to me: "all europeans think the same way".
Racist? If you read again what I wrote you will see that I did not even come close to saying that. Please, don't put words in my mouth. Me, 'being bothered by assumptions' is not me saying "all europeans think the same way".

I'm bothered by the assumptions and there is no geographic or cultural determinant of who is going to make those assumptions. Canadians, even Native-Canadians, can often make the assumptions I'm taking about and there are many Europeans who do not. I never attached a nation or cultural group to who makes the assumptions that bother me and I'd appreciate if you would not imply that I did.

FWIW, I'm not angry or think less of you or anyone else who makes these assumptions (like my opinion even matters to other people). I think it's practically unavoidable given how Canada's 'conventional' history, culture, etc is portrayed in the mainstream here in Canada and abroad – but at the same time, I can't help but be bothered by it.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

jaynie35uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flashman
THere's a big advantage in that there's no historical baggage.
the native americans wouldnt agree on that one......
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jaynie35uk
the native americans wouldnt agree on that one......
Okay I'm going to jump in here and stir things up a bit...because I'm bored!

This is only my opinion mind you...so don't any other Canadians that don't agree jump down my throat.

Personally the main reason I get all hot and bothered by the old 'Canada has no culture or history' argument is this...

As a Canadian I feel we have always been in the shadow of mainly 2 countries. The US and England. We are a continually belittled by the Americans and shrugged off by them as inconsequential while the English (and I know this from experience) in a lot of cases... consider us an extension of the US or the poorer relative! (hence why so many think that immigrating to Canada is a step towards the States...what tosh that is!! I'd have difficulty immigrating there...why would it be any different for some of you?..and you know who you are )

We have, as a nation, struggled with this throughout our short history. We are an immensely proud nation...as most nations are...and hence are very proud of our own unique history and culture...which IS different from others...although there are some similarities which makes immigrating to our Nation a realitively easy experience compared to a more 'foreign country'. We are also, I feel, a very genuine, friendly nation...(do you know many places where if you are stranded in -30 weather someone will pick you up and take you to their home give you supper and a bed if needed?) We are who we are because of our history...not inspite of it ...and we are damned proud of that...history is what makes us who we are...be it short or long.

(I love the English history and exploring all the sites...fantastic...but the big big bonus of our history is that it doesn't take years to learn it in school!! )

Culture...what is culture? Canada is steeped in culture...it's perhaps not what you would term as High Brow...but it's our culture...and it works for us! We are generally a down to earth people with down to earth expectations in life...to work, raise families and have as much enjoyment doing so as possible!! (Yes there are exceptions...there always will be)

A lot of us don't care if we are dressed in the latest fashions from France...we'd stick out like a sore thumb!! A lot of us don't have a clue about classical music...but how many of you have attended a powwow? (you should by the way...it is a wonderful experience!)

So the bottom line is...when you insult or belittle those aspects of our nation...you strike the core of who we are!

So someone asked the question of why we get so defensive...this is my perspective of the situation...rightly or wrongly.

Did that stir the pot do you think?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:36 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dawnwynne
Okay I'm going to jump in here and stir things up a bit...because I'm bored!

This is only my opinion mind you...so don't any other Canadians that don't agree jump down my throat.

Personally the main reason I get all hot and bothered by the old 'Canada has no culture or history' argument is this...

As a Canadian I feel we have always been in the shadow of mainly 2 countries. The US and England. We are a continually belittled by the Americans and shrugged off by them as inconsequential while the English (and I know this from experience) in a lot of cases... consider us an extension of the US or the poorer relative! (hence why so many think that immigrating to Canada is a step towards the States...what tosh that is!! I'd have difficulty immigrating there...why would it be any different for some of you?..and you know who you are )

We have, as a nation, struggled with this throughout our short history. We are an immensely proud nation...as most nations are...and hence are very proud of our own unique history and culture...which IS different from others...although there are some similarities which makes immigrating to our Nation a realitively easy experience compared to a more 'foreign country'. We are also, I feel, a very genuine, friendly nation...(do you know many places where if you are stranded in -30 weather someone will pick you up and take you to their home give you supper and a bed if needed?) We are who we are because of our history...not inspite of it ...and we are damned proud of that...history is what makes us who we are...be it short or long.

(I love the English history and exploring all the sites...fantastic...but the big big bonus of our history is that it doesn't take years to learn it in school!! )

Culture...what is culture? Canada is steeped in culture...it's perhaps not what you would term as High Brow...but it's our culture...and it works for us! We are generally a down to earth people with down to earth expectations in life...to work, raise families and have as much enjoyment doing so as possible!! (Yes there are exceptions...there always will be)

A lot of us don't care if we are dressed in the latest fashions from France...we'd stick out like a sore thumb!! A lot of us don't have a clue about classical music...but how many of you have attended a powwow? (you should by the way...it is a wonderful experience!)

So the bottom line is...when you insult or belittle those aspects of our nation...you strike the core of who we are!

So someone asked the question of why we get so defensive...this is my perspective of the situation...rightly or wrongly.

Oh puh-leeze... where's a good vomiting emoticon when you need one?

I could jump so far down your throat you'd get a tummy ache but I think, 'why bother?'.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Oh puh-leeze... where's a good vomiting emoticon when you need one?

I could jump so far down your throat you'd get a tummy ache but I think, 'why bother?'.
Good...so I did stir the pot...it worked!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:55 am
Just Joined

karenr is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: British pride

I think you have expressed yourself very well and fairly . I do not understand this constant attack on canada for its history and culture .England is steeped, supposedly ,in both and we are not doing so great in as far as peoples general attitude to their fellow man, which to me far outweighs any other aspect . I acknowledge that when I move to Canada I will miss the history and architecture in some parts of england , but it will be balanced by different elements in Canada . If people want all these things why are they moving ??
I really believe going to Canada will not be better or worse but different .
I am hoping that this will give us, as a family a balance ,that suits us .For every aspect I think I will miss , I can think of something I will gain .

All this naval gazing is peoples way of dealing with the insecurity of making such a lifechanging decision .I am continuously ranging through all the extremes of emotion . Sitting at the computer reading this wonderful website and calling over to my husband" thats it we can't go theres only 2 weeks holiday a year ." And then the next day saying" oh its ok some people can negotiate more time " and he just quietly raises one eyebrow , and points out that over here i am parttime and because of the ability to juggle my hours only really take 2 weeks hols a year !!!!! I find this website brilliant because in the end it is always so balanced .It is preparing us for some of the changes so we are not surprised but at the end of the day (Beckham quote ) none of us will know until we get there and start our lives .
One of my longest posts I may now get RSI in my right index finger !!!

Karen

QUOTE=dawnwynne]Okay I'm going to jump in here and stir things up a bit...because I'm bored!

[/QUOTE]