Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British passports after mom gets new citizenship?

Wikiposts

British passports after mom gets new citizenship?

Old May 20th 2010, 4:00 am
Just Joined

cybernet3000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British passports after mom gets new citizenship?

Firs of all sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, I'm not entirely sure where to put this.

Here's what I'm wondering: My mom was born in the UK, moved to Canada after marrying my Canadian dad, and had me in 1987. So as far as I can figure that makes me a British citizen by descent. I don't have a British passport though, I'm a starving student and can't really afford the expense and all the hoops I'd have to jump through to get it (especially now that they've moved everything to DC...) but I like knowing that the option is there if I ever feel like moving to Europe.

After almost 30 years in Canada though my mom is currently in the process of applying for her Canadian citizenship. So I'm wondering if this will effect my ability to claim British citizenship and still get a British passport should I decide in the future I want to go down that route? As far as I know she has no plans to renounce her British citizenship... would we need to get extra documentation to prove that she still is British? Or just enough to prove that she was British born?

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer!
Old May 20th 2010, 4:37 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passports after mom gets new citizenship?

Don't worry. You are British by descent and you can apply for a passport with your Mum's birth cert.
Old May 20th 2010, 2:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passports after mom gets new citizenship?

Plan on a lead time of months not weeks to get a British passport. Also plan to have good proof of ID.

It might be simpler to apply for a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode in your Canadian passport. That can be done in Ottawa. Make sure your Canadian passport isn't close to expiry (as you need a new stamp in a new passport).

ROA stamp only helps you live in Britain, it's not accepted elsewhere in Europe.