Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

british passport renewal

british passport renewal

Old Jan 4th 2010, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future
Smile british passport renewal

Hi all,

I have to renew our son's british passport which expires toward the end of this year. We are based in Victoria, B.C.
Does anyone have any links they could provide with help to this process? Or provide some insight if you have time.

Many thanks in advance...
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: british passport renewal

Originally Posted by kiton6
Hi all,

I have to renew our son's british passport which expires toward the end of this year. We are based in Victoria, B.C.
Does anyone have any links they could provide with help to this process? Or provide some insight if you have time.

Here you go

http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/
Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

NikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant future

My hubby did it this year. It wasn't complicated and it wasn't cheap !
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Have you seen how expensive passport renewal is doing it in Canada? I have just renewed my passport and both my sons, (under 16) for a total cost of £175.50.. (£77.50 for me and £49 for each of the boys)

Doing the same from Canada would be a total of $494 which if you convert at 1.68 (a rough average exchange rate at the moment) is a massive £294.04. A child on their own would be $135 divided by 1.68 is £80.35.

Can't you do it via the UK....do you have an address you could still use there?
Seems like a huge rip off to me.
Good luck
Stef

Hi all,

Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:30 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Double check there are no errors on your new passport when you receive it. I only gave mine a cursory glance and didn't use it for 6 months, only to find it had a typo. I've had to pay the whole fee again to get it resolved - the passport office will only amend their errors for free within the first month of the passport being issued, otherwise you have to suck up the cost of a new application.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Stoped getting the UK passport as soon as I got my citizenship. Just wish the Canadian passport was for 10 years not 5.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Hi all,

I just got mine done and here are a few hints:

A journey to Walmart revealed they did not do photos for British Passport..they said their pics are always rejected so call ahead...I ended up at a place called Henry's after using the phone book in Walmart and driving around
My cost was $14 for pics and then the doc or similar has to sign the back

$212US for the passport itself and then send the passport office the return postage which turned out to be courier $15..the postage from my end another $14 to register and taxes ....Grand Total $281 Canadian

Also if you want to call the passport office in Washington DC...the calls are outsourced and that will cost you $2.99 a minute...Yes!! ... "want fries with that?"
Old Jan 6th 2010, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

Thanks for the advice everyone, plus the link... what a shock in relation to the prices!!! What happened? I'm sure when we got our passports back in 2002 it was something like 40 quid (or maybe I'm making that up!).
Anyway, my son's was for only 5 years (we got his when he was born in 2005). So, I guess we'll have to renew it in Washington (although I'll speak to someone in the uk first) and pay the hefty charge!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

mikef611 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just sent my passport renewal to Washington and noone was there to receive it. The US Post Office left a notice 3 days ago asking the embassy to call and arrange for delivery and nothing yet?

I have no idea how long it will sit before someone calls to have it redelivered. It was so much easier when the renewals were handled in Ottawa Ontario
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

Since they centralized the UK passport office in Washington, it looks like a bureaucratic nightmare. I am in Canada and have been waiting for my passport for 2 months now. You have to phone the UK to make any enquires and they ask for your credit card details first and charge you something like $3 a minute for the call and give you minimal information.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikef611
Just sent my passport renewal to Washington and noone was there to receive it. The US Post Office left a notice 3 days ago asking the embassy to call and arrange for delivery and nothing yet?

I have no idea how long it will sit before someone calls to have it redelivered. It was so much easier when the renewals were handled in Ottawa Ontario
Any news? do you know if it got delivered?
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Since they centralized the UK passport office in Washington, it looks like a bureaucratic nightmare. I am in Canada and have been waiting for my passport for 2 months now. You have to phone the UK to make any enquires and they ask for your credit card details first and charge you something like $3 a minute for the call and give you minimal information.
They lost our photos and sent our passports back to ask for more photos and more cash to send them back again. Tried to call their helpline (3 times) at $3per minute. They said they would send an e-mail to Washington and would contact us within 48 hrs - never did hear from them despite send in a formal letter of complaint to the complaints address on their site. Screw the UK passport get a Canadian one when you can - its cheaper. We new there was a good reason to leave the UK....!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

We got our children's passports renewed a few months ago. Bit of a nuisance having to send the pictures back to someone in the UK to sign, but otherwise no problem really. It took the six weeks they stated at the time. No more of a hassle or expense than many of the Canadian processes really.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

valefanincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I was wondering is it possible to renew your British passport if you are in the UK on a visit or do you have to be resident there?
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 2:57 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

I need to renew my passport soon and was hoping we would be citizens before it was needed, but like everything in Canada it is not going to happen any time soon! So as a UK citizens, living in Canada I have to send my passport to America - go figure!

If I lived in the UK still it would cost me $77.50 to renew (about $132 CND), but to do it through the UK/CA/USA system it is a whopping $224 USD or $235 CND - that is nearly double the cost.

I doubt that you can use a relatives address in the UK to get a new passport - the fact it is the passport office suggests they would know you are living in Canada.

I might just let it lapse and hope I don't need it before getting a Canadian one in a year or two. Do they charge extra if it lapses and then renewed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.