Reload this Page >

British Passport Info

Wikiposts

British Passport Info

Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:08 am
Just Joined

mfwhite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Passport Info

Im British living in Canada for 30 years and my daughter (born in Canada) is wanting to apply for her British passport.

Both our passport need to be sent to Ottawa to process within 10 weeks.

My question is... if I need to return to England because of my ailing Mother, how am I to travel without my passport?

Can left Canada without my passport?

Any info would be helpful
Thanks
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:28 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Passport Info

Ottawa? All UK passports are done in Washington now

Youve been here how long and havent bothered with Canadian citizenship? A Cdn passport would have been the obvious solution.

As it is, if the worst happens you would need to use the UK expedited / emergency procedures to get some sort of document. but it probably wont come to that...
http://www.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/2855621/etd.pdf
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ergency-travel
Oh, and welcome to BE

Last edited by iaink; Mar 20th 2013 at 6:37 am.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:36 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a current PR card?

Generally returning UK permanent residents can get by without a PR card at a pinch when returning to Canada from the UK with only their passports, but you might be pushing your luck trying to return to Canada after an emergency trip to the UK with neither a Passport or a PR card...

If you have a PR card then that not an issue...
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfwhite
Im British living in Canada for 30 years and my daughter (born in Canada) is wanting to apply for her British passport.

My question is... if I need to return to England because of my ailing Mother, how am I to travel without my passport?

Can left Canada without my passport?

Any info would be helpful
Thanks
Why don't you obtain a Canadian passport for your daughter and she can then apply for a British one while in the UK?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

You can apply for an emergency travel document at your nearest consulate. Consulates or consular offices are located in Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto. If you need to renew your own passport you now do that through the consulate in Washington. You can download all the information from Ottawa http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk The cost for a 32 page passport is $211 plus $33 courier fee. Pay by Visa or Mastercard.

Last edited by sandylns; Mar 20th 2013 at 8:41 am. Reason: addition
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

chinglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sandylns
You can apply for an emergency travel document at your nearest consulate. Consulates or consular offices are located in Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto. If you need to renew your own passport you now do that through the consulate in Washington. You can download all the information from Ottawa http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk The cost for a 32 page passport is $211 plus $33 courier fee. Pay by Visa or Mastercard.
Before sending your passport to be renewed keep a photocopy as that can help get you an emergency travel document.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfwhite

Your daughter does NOT need your passport to apply for a British passport yourself. Think about it - if you didn't have a British passport (lots of British citizens don't), she wouldn't be able to send one off.

She does need a copy of your birth certificate and (in some cases) your marriage certificate.