Reload this Page >

British Military Hospital births

British Military Hospital births

Old Aug 20th 2010, 6:35 am
Just Joined

We made our bed is an unknown quantity at this point
Question British Military Hospital births

Hello all,

Filling in forms for a passport replacement (current one damaged) via Washington - but have a problem that I can't find an answer to.
If you are born in a British Military Hospital (in Cyprus) to British parents, father serving in army --- are you classed as being born on British Soil?

When husband got his first passport many years ago, it didn't seem a problem but now it's a pain.
We rang Washington gave our credit card details, before we were allowed to ask a question ... then was told they didn't know and we should check the UK Border patrol website -- which also didn't answer the question.
If he is classed as being born outside of UK then he is requied to give parents full details, town of birth, passport numbers etc.. both his parents are dead and we don't have the answers to some of there questions
Can anyone help?
Old Aug 20th 2010, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Military Hospital births

As far as I am aware being born in a BMH is classed as being born on British soil.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Both my kids were born in BMH's in Germany and I have never had any problems with the PR application or renewing their passports before (when one went thru the washer)

They both have British Birth Certificates and as they were registered with the British High Commission I also would say they are classed as being born on British Soil wit it being a BMH.

You could always ask on the ARRSE site as there are plenty on there with Clerk / Admin experience who could help.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 11:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by We made our bed
Hello all,

Filling in forms for a passport replacement (current one damaged) via Washington - but have a problem that I can't find an answer to.
If you are born in a British Military Hospital (in Cyprus) to British parents, father serving in army --- are you classed as being born on British Soil?

When husband got his first passport many years ago, it didn't seem a problem but now it's a pain.
We rang Washington gave our credit card details, before we were allowed to ask a question ... then was told they didn't know and we should check the UK Border patrol website -- which also didn't answer the question.
If he is classed as being born outside of UK then he is requied to give parents full details, town of birth, passport numbers etc.. both his parents are dead and we don't have the answers to some of there questions
Can anyone help?
He needs evidence that one of his parents was in "Crown Service" when he was born - but normally this should be available via the birth certificate. Doesn't he have a UK consular or British-territory birth certificate?

Is the British Military Hospital in Cyprus in the Sovereign Base Area (a British territory) rather than Cyprus itself?
Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Seedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
You could always ask on the ARRSE site as there are plenty on there with Clerk / Admin experience who could help.
Well I was Admin.....(but not when serving with you Dave!). Anyhow, answer has already been posted, BMH's are basically on or part of a SBA and as such you will be issued with a normal birth cert which normally is signed by the British High Commission (and stamped as such).

If you need copies I think you normally have to go through the central place down in London now, but I think its available online too.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:39 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by We made our bed
Hello all,

Can anyone help?
Yes. My wife was born in Berlin in the 1960's on a British Base. She is classed as British, just that the place of birth is Berlin, Germany. I think from memory she has two birth certificates or it may be just a strange looking one from the issueing office overseas. It did not cause any eyebrow raising or issues with any immigration into Canada.

Last edited by Tangram; Aug 20th 2010 at 12:41 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Seedubs
Well I was Admin.....(but not when serving with you Dave!). Anyhow, answer has already been posted, BMH's are basically on or part of a SBA and as such you will be issued with a normal birth cert which normally is signed by the British High Commission (and stamped as such).

If you need copies I think you normally have to go through the central place down in London now, but I think its available online too.

Hi Mate was gonna suggest contacting you on here (as the resident ex AGC shiny a**e / Analyst programmer)...

Hope yer well.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

We made our bed is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all that replied, it was a big help. His birth certificate looks like a normal UK one, except it says "Birth occurring outside of the UK", Command: Near East Land Forces, signed by a Lt. Colonel. Will send off application now to Washington