Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British hairdressers working in Alberta

British hairdressers working in Alberta

Old May 11th 2009, 11:35 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all
Default British hairdressers working in Alberta

Hi

I am fully qualified hairdresser (C&G) with further qualifications in wig-making, manicures and cosmetic make-up but I haven't worked in salon for years. The skills are still there because I had to polish off the scissors the other day to do a cut. I stopped private work about 5 years ago after deciding why was I doing two jobs when I didn't need to.

I have not been able to get into to my current job so as hairdressing is in big demand it makes sense that I give it another go.

Where do I start? Can I get licence with my current qualifications? Because I haven't worked in a salon for a long time will I have to do a refreshers course?

I will look forward to your replies.

KJM

Last edited by KJM; May 11th 2009 at 11:37 pm.
Old May 12th 2009, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

davidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant future
Default Re: British hairdressers working in Alberta

hey!

I've no idea on qualifications etc for your hairdressing, why not start up on your own?....we're gonna be landing sometime in june so you can have the four of us (me, wife and 2 kids) in for a summer cut!!

hope someone can be of more help to you regarding the qualifications though.

take care

daveshan
Old May 12th 2009, 1:29 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by davidshan
hey!

I've no idea on qualifications etc for your hairdressing, why not start up on your own?....we're gonna be landing sometime in june so you can have the four of us (me, wife and 2 kids) in for a summer cut!!

hope someone can be of more help to you regarding the qualifications though.

take care

daveshan
Hi Dave

Thinking of that already but I still need a licence to obtain products, however I keep you updated.

Where are you heading for?

KJM
Old May 12th 2009, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

davidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant future

we'll be in midnapore when we move, should be there in a month or so depending on lmo decision we're waiting on!!! isn't there an alberta hairdressing association or something that you could contact?
daveshan
Old May 12th 2009, 4:27 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davidshan
we'll be in midnapore when we move, should be there in a month or so depending on lmo decision we're waiting on!!! isn't there an alberta hairdressing association or something that you could contact?
daveshan
Yep Just in the process now....waiting for responses to my questions.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

jeaniebean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KJM
Hi

I am fully qualified hairdresser (C&G) with further qualifications in wig-making, manicures and cosmetic make-up but I haven't worked in salon for years. The skills are still there because I had to polish off the scissors the other day to do a cut. I stopped private work about 5 years ago after deciding why was I doing two jobs when I didn't need to.

I have not been able to get into to my current job so as hairdressing is in big demand it makes sense that I give it another go.

Where do I start? Can I get licence with my current qualifications? Because I haven't worked in a salon for a long time will I have to do a refreshers course?

KJM
can I book an appointment....I've had so many dodgy canadian hairdressing experiences!!!
Old May 12th 2009, 5:13 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeaniebean
can I book an appointment....I've had so many dodgy canadian hairdressing experiences!!!
Same goes for the missus.
The first time she had her hair done here she was in tears. She went to another salon a few days later and came back in tears again. Only on the 3rd attempt was she happy....
Old May 12th 2009, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Same goes for the missus.
The first time she had her hair done here she was in tears. She went to another salon a few days later and came back in tears again. Only on the 3rd attempt was she happy....
First time I had my hair cut in Montreal was a few days before our wedding, the silly cow left it longer on one side and I ended up getting my OH to try and fix it Then the first time I had my hair cut in Toronto I ended up in tears when the woman gave me short hair even though I'd shown her a picture that very obviously wasn't of a short style

Anyway to the OP good luck it seems the woman of Canada are crying out for decent hairdressers
Old May 12th 2009, 5:32 pm
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

I went to a hairdressers in SE Calgary who told me I needed a Fashion cut to "make me look Younger"......I'm 31..... She then didn't do what I wanted, made me look like a frickin Beetle (The band, not insect) and I cried for ages after, needless to say she did not get paid, but I had to go to my husbands Xmas do looking awful and feeling like poo. So I am, as you can imagine in dire need of a good Hairdresser....When do you get here???
Old May 12th 2009, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the barbers in Calgary are Lebanese, so you come out looking like Qaddafi. They have a nifty little flame thing that burns the hair in your lug 'oles tho!

What I'm saying is - there may be a niche.....
Old May 12th 2009, 5:49 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littletashy
I went to a hairdressers in SE Calgary who told me I needed a Fashion cut to "make me look Younger"......I'm 31..... She then didn't do what I wanted, made me look like a frickin Beetle (The band, not insect) and I cried for ages after, needless to say she did not get paid, but I had to go to my husbands Xmas do looking awful and feeling like poo. So I am, as you can imagine in dire need of a good Hairdresser....When do you get here???
KJM is already in okotoks
Old May 12th 2009, 5:50 pm
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
KJM is already in okotoks
But she's not at my house to cut my hair.........

Don't want to seem forward, but if you fancy a hack of the hair and a brew!

Last edited by Littletashy; May 12th 2009 at 5:53 pm.
Old May 12th 2009, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

savefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nice

Originally Posted by KJM
Hi

KJM
Call the Hair Studio on North Railway Street (403 938 1005) and talk to Caroline. She owns the biz and is a Brit, so will know what you need to do.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

nextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nice

Hi
I have just qualified to nvq level 3 and cant wait to get up and running when we go to Ontario .. By the sounds of things all the expats will be so pleased to find a british hairdresser .. I am returning to the trade after 20 yrs and loving it to bits , shame we werent near and could set up a fab client list
I know I have to sit an exam to gain my license and I also would like to do a barbering course ..
Good luck and am sure many will be glad of us
Old May 13th 2009, 1:11 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the support guys & gals, it appears that I will have a lot of customers if I was to get it sorted.

Qualified in gents as well, also afro hair but I don't think there is much of a market for that.

As this rate I think I better get a Salon.

KJM

I going to be HUGE

Last edited by KJM; May 13th 2009 at 1:19 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.